Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 4)

Hi Everyone!

The sun is out and so far no rain in the forecast. My knees are in agreement so it's installation day for our lamp post. It's going to look so nice when it's all done. I'll have some more "fussing" with the solar lights but I'm determined to have that completed by Monday. 

I finally made it to pick up the prescriptions and grocery shop on Friday. We were also moving tvs around between rooms in the home. ( Can we have a good time or what?) My knees were aching by the time I got some dinner on the stove. I swear....I've got to start remembering that I'm way past 20 and way past 50 with some of these chores. LOL

I hope to finish peeling the wallpaper in the spare room today and maybe steam the new drapes in the bedroom. We'll see how that plan goes. I'm anxious to get paint on those walls and bit more decluttering and on to the kitchen. I did a little decluttering in the pajama drawer in anticipation of the pjs arriving....whenever. I didn't realize some of those pj's were that old. 

I have some heavy weeding on the list for some day or next weekend. All of this rain and the gardens look like jungles. Crossing my fingers that we get another batch of tomatoes but am not sure about that one.

Have a good afternoon/evening.   

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 4)

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Fressa.  You are certainly doing a lot around the house.  I hope you don't overdo, but continue to accomplish these tasks.

They are predicting a high of 94 degrees here with a small chance of thunderstorms.  It was okay on my walk this morning, except for dodging the weeds that are on the sidewalks, etc.  I noticed my pants and even shoes had little pods of some sort on them.  Not easy to remove.

I have started the laundry, changed the linens, etc. as usual for Saturday.  Like you, I really know how to have fun around here.  I have a Zoom meditation group this morning, and plan to do an exercise video, some cooking, plus my weekly financial review.  I keep hearing about COVID cases going up and wonder if my Road Scholar trip to Utah will still be on.  Hope that it will as long as it is safe.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone is having a nice Saturday.

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Fressa--Thank you for starting the thread. You certainly are a non-stop dynamo of energy. Be careful that you don't overdo it. Your idea of fun is radically different from mine as I can't do that.

Linda--I do hope  your Scholars trip will take place. I haadve given up on planning to do anything like that. The positivity rate is on the increase here and quite dramatically at twice the state rate just when things were looking promising.

I turned on the tv to watch AM Style but there was no QVC nor was there HSN. I called the cable company. Apparently the QVC/HSN outfit has changed type of signal and it is not being transmitted  to the cable company correctly. I guess they have to get toget her and work out the problem.

I guess I will be getting my Sketchers TSV around September 9. I also had sent a return which never showed up at the Q. I called and was given a credit. I haven't purchased anything this week except a med refill.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Fressa, I am glad that your,weather is nice today.   We had drizzle almost all day yesterday & it's trying to drizzle again.  I bet you will be glad when the wallpaper is all off and you can paint.  I am so glad that I finished the front porch on Thursday.  It looks nice, so it was worth the effort.  The last time I painted it was 13 or 14 years ago.  Like you say, I am not in my 30's or 60's either. We went to the Farmer's Market this morning and bought a 5 gallon pail of tomatoes for $10.  I cooked a big pan of them from our own tomatoes and put some in the batch of chili that I made a few days ago.  Then I froze 2 qts.

Linda L, good luck with your upcoming trip if it's not cancelled.  Right now, it's tricky trying to go anywhere that we want to go.  We are hoping to go away for a few days this month and at least two weeks in October. 

Jean, I no longer do any kind of yard work.  I know my limit.  I like doing anything in the house & I can rest as I get tired.  My next paint job is tomorrow when I paint the piece of wood under the patio door.  It's starting to peal & I have leftover paint from the porch.  I am a terrible artist, but I can use a paint brush and roller.  

My mil is still in the hospital & it's uncertain when she will be released.  My bil that lives in the same hometown  sent us an email yesterday saying that right now she is on what Medicare calls "Swing Bed" so she can stay longer to gain strength, have her apt evaluated to see if she can return home safely, maybe hire a live in (which I think will be impossible as she only has 1 bedroom).  Asst living/NH she will try to avoid at all costs.  It's not a fun time right now for my DH and his 4 brothers.  It's a good thing that we all get along together and always have.  I remember the struggles I had with my own Mom 5 years ago.  She was defiant with me every step of the way.

Starting tomorrow, we will be getting 8 days of 70's & then 4 days of low 80's.  I love being able to have the windows open.  

Fall is my favorite season so I plan to put the spring/summer things away next week and start my Fall decorating.  

Hugs to all of you.

Glenda

Esteemed Contributor

Very sorry to hear about your MIL, Glenda.  I hope some solution can be worked out for her.  Glad your DH and brothers get along so well.  Have fun with all those tomatoes.

Jean -- I don't know if your are interested, or even if this might work for you. but I am able to get QVC and HSN via Roku.  This is fairly recent.  I also found that I am sometimes able to watch them via my antenna.  I no longer have cable TV, but use to get them through streaming (Sling).   Sorry the COVID rate in your area is so high.  

Honored Contributor

Glenda @twinny70  I certainly hope that your mother in law regains her strength and recovers as fully as possible.  You know, when they are independent and have the fortitude to make it to that age you hate the thought of them losing their independence.  My thoughts are with your family and it is fantastic that you all get along well.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I didn't have the energy for any kind of social media yesterday.  As I mentioned before, Francis lost the end suture of his incision in the direction of his rear end and another suture I guess I would say two stitches up.  Well, that left one suture between two missing sutures hanging on for dear life and.... of course that one popped.  Suffice it to say, never having packed a wound, I was stressed on Thursday night.  You know, it's not like the hole was just a little divot in the skin where I knew that ultimately there was shallower skin under it.  It was two sides of an incision separating.  On the bright side and also thank you God, packing Francis' wound was not like human wound packing while is painful and involves packing gauze into a wound.

It went off without a hitch and the key is to have everything sterile prepped and ready for use.  Yesterday he woke up limping on his left foot which is his good side and I have no idea what he did to the foot.  There are no abrasions and he can flex and stretch the left wing and his foot to do bird yoga so I'm confident this will pass.  I'm seeing progress with the limping today.

In my opinion he didn't eat alot or drink alot yesterday and when he decided to perch on what I call the cushioned TV bookshelf (basically a set of shelves with the bottom most shelf reserved for the birds and lined with beach towels) for the night last night I thought what is going on?  He never sleeps here.  Not knowing exactly what was going on, I made the decision to not leave him alone in the office so I grabbed a pillow and blanket and slept on the office floor.

Wow, it's been years since I slept on a hardwood floor Woman Very Happy  The best part was when Grayson cooed through the baby gate because he found it weird to see my lying on the office floor.  I ratcheted my broken body up and there was Francis looking at me with an expression that seemed to be a combination of disgust and confusion.  Hey, I woke up laughing so that was a good start to the day. He's eating and drinking more today and using his left foot more.  I think the Silver Sulfadiazine cream is working to heal the open incision from the inside out.

Yeah one more thing.  Yesterday the house felt chilled so I thought kick the heat on.  I heard the furnace kick on, heard the gas jets fire up and then the blower starting.  For anyone who has ever had a dying or dead car battery or alternator that went on the fritz, you know that clickety, clickety sound you hear?  Well my furnace did that like I had an Irish step dancer in the basement.  I turned off the furnace and reached out to a local HVAC company to arrange a call to get an estimate on a new furnace, A/C, humidifier and air filtration thing that goes with the furnace.

It started with an online chat with a guy named Daniel. I was pretty specific since they mostly handle Carrier products.  Told him I was looking for the middle range (performance line), no high efficiency because I'm not doing venting out the side wall of my house, no smart thermostat.  Put a new liner in the chimney, vent the hot water heater and furnace out that way, sell me a programmable thermostat, add on the humidifier and air quality thing, plus a middle of the road performace A/C unit.  

You'd think they would appreciate someone who knows what they want.  Not so, he advised me that their experts would make recommendations about what they felt was best.  I responded that I wasn't reaching out for recommendations.  I let him know that it would make the entire experience better for the person who shows up to understand upselling me on things would go know nowhere.

He took my name, number, address and email.  I wonder if they will call, rofl.

I've been on borrowed time with my old Lennox since 2012.  The fact that I got 5 more years than expected from the heat exchangers has been miraculous.  My A/C works so I'm not worried if it gets hot again.  I'd rather get the ball rolling on the rest of it before cold sets in here.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh my, Bernie.  Glad Francis seems to be doing better  Hope that continues.  You are correct in that your furnace, etc., has lasted quite a while, but doing all those replacements will undoubtedly be a lot of $$$.  Necessary for sure.  I'm happy that I had a new furnace and AC installed last summer.  Like you, I didn't want to overdo things, and the company I called seemed to understand.   Perhaps you should contact another company.  Sounds like they may think they know better than you do what should be done.  I think that is not uncommon, unfortunately.  Good luck.  By the way, I didn't buy a high efficiency (or whatever they are called) AC, but still saved on my monthly electric bill which is on a payment plan.  Definitely pleased me.  While I use gas for heating and my hot water heater, that bill is normally much lower than the electric due to our weather since AC is used much more often.

Esteemed Contributor

Bird Mama, you are such a work of art for the birdies.  I can't remember ever sleeping on the floor.  Ouch!  Good luck with getting a new furnace.  Our furnace was put in this house when we built it in 1994.  As was my washer.  I don't know if my mil has been in the hospital since she had son #5 & he was 3 years old when we got married in  1970.  He was young enough to be our son when we got married.  Yikes!  

Glenda

@Bird mama wrote:

I didn't have the energy for any kind of social media yesterday.  As I mentioned before, Francis lost the end suture of his incision in the direction of his rear end and another suture I guess I would say two stitches up.  Well, that left one suture between two missing sutures hanging on for dear life and.... of course that one popped.  Suffice it to say, never having packed a wound, I was stressed on Thursday night.  You know, it's not like the hole was just a little divot in the skin where I knew that ultimately there was shallower skin under it.  It was two sides of an incision separating.  On the bright side and also thank you God, packing Francis' wound was not like human wound packing while is painful and involves packing gauze into a wound.

It went off without a hitch and the key is to have everything sterile prepped and ready for use.  Yesterday he woke up limping on his left foot which is his good side and I have no idea what he did to the foot.  There are no abrasions and he can flex and stretch the left wing and his foot to do bird yoga so I'm confident this will pass.  I'm seeing progress with the limping today.

In my opinion he didn't eat alot or drink alot yesterday and when he decided to perch on what I call the cushioned TV bookshelf (basically a set of shelves with the bottom most shelf reserved for the birds and lined with beach towels) for the night last night I thought what is going on?  He never sleeps here.  Not knowing exactly what was going on, I made the decision to not leave him alone in the office so I grabbed a pillow and blanket and slept on the office floor.

Wow, it's been years since I slept on a hardwood floor Woman Very Happy  The best part was when Grayson cooed through the baby gate because he found it weird to see my lying on the office floor.  I ratcheted my broken body up and there was Francis looking at me with an expression that seemed to be a combination of disgust and confusion.  Hey, I woke up laughing so that was a good start to the day. He's eating and drinking more today and using his left foot more.  I think the Silver Sulfadiazine cream is working to heal the open incision from the inside out.

Yeah one more thing.  Yesterday the house felt chilled so I thought kick the heat on.  I heard the furnace kick on, heard the gas jets fire up and then the blower starting.  For anyone who has ever had a dying or dead car battery or alternator that went on the fritz, you know that clickety, clickety sound you hear?  Well my furnace did that like I had an Irish step dancer in the basement.  I turned off the furnace and reached out to a local HVAC company to arrange a call to get an estimate on a new furnace, A/C, humidifier and air filtration thing that goes with the furnace.

It started with an online chat with a guy named Daniel. I was pretty specific since they mostly handle Carrier products.  Told him I was looking for the middle range (performance line), no high efficiency because I'm not doing venting out the side wall of my house, no smart thermostat.  Put a new liner in the chimney, vent the hot water heater and furnace out that way, sell me a programmable thermostat, add on the humidifier and air quality thing, plus a middle of the road performace A/C unit.  

You'd think they would appreciate someone who knows what they want.  Not so, he advised me that their experts would make recommendations about what they felt was best.  I responded that I wasn't reaching out for recommendations.  I let him know that it would make the entire experience better for the person who shows up to understand upselling me on things would go know nowhere.

He took my name, number, address and email.  I wonder if they will call, rofl.

I've been on borrowed time with my old Lennox since 2012.  The fact that I got 5 more years than expected from the heat exchangers has been miraculous.  My A/C works so I'm not worried if it gets hot again.  I'd rather get the ball rolling on the rest of it before cold sets in here.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When you are caring for someone dear, it's rarely the work, it's the WORRY.  Suffice it to say, I've had more than enough worry with Francis before the vet experience and during the vet experience.  We all know I was not born with the patience of a saint.  I've been keeping it together to remain professional with the veterinary staff.  This takes alot of my energy and my emotional strength.  I put it this way - I am born on the Leo/Virgo cusp and Virgo has been working OT to control the Leo side of me these days.  I really don't have any energy left to convince an HVAC company to do business with me.  I know what I want, I'm willing to pay a fair price and they'll get it in cash.  Take my money or don't cuz there's more of them (HVAC companies) in the yellow pages.  Ooh I just sounded my mother when I typed that out.  I haven't had a yellow pages delivered to my house in years Woman Very Happy