Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, SEPT. 5)

Bernie--Shame on you for enabling!  Smiley Happy  I still haven't bought the TSV but I did indulge in an Amazon  Gold Box Deal on a movie I wanted. I've been so good the past two months that I hate to break my restraint. As it is, I indulged in the QF pull on straight leg pants, the movie, and some 6-13  Time to call it a halt. I still have those unworn boots from last year. If I could, I would wear either my Clarks clogs or the Orthoheel sandals year-round.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Re: our pool, it is very big, imo, 18' x 36'- 10' deep, has large trees all around it (we actually took down a few trees so it would get more sun, therefore the water would be warmer). Anyway, this year has been one thing after another, it rained all of May & June (rain is not generally a good thing for crystal clear pool water), our pump was non-functioning for about 2 weeks (another huge problem as the pump runs the filtering system), and one of the trees right beside the pool (a catalpa, which has huge leaves) suddenly died right after it leafed out and almost overnight all those leaves fell into the pool, quickly turned into a slimy green mess. We got all that out of there asap.So the water never did get a sparkling clear this year, cloudy enough where I have not gotten in even one time. I like my pool water to absolutely sparkle, lol. Some people came to swim and had no problem as it wasn't bad, just not how I want my pool to be. Anyway, the heat and humidity in mid to late August usually always causes some cloudiness and this year more so than normal. This is my 2nd home with a pool and had the same cloudiness in late Aug. at both homes. Don't know any technical reason but that is the way it has been for us. I live in mid-Mo. and everyone I know who has a pool in this area closes them Labor Day or the weekend after, wish we could leave it open longer, but the one year we did, it was pointless as the water cools off very quickly once night temps get down into the 60's. All that being said, we did work on the pool today, decided we are going to scrub every inch of it with a brush (long handled) before we winterize and cover it up, hoping next spring will bring back my sparkling water, lol. It is now about 100 degrees and it would be nice to jump in, but not going to happen. We were a hot sweaty mess by the time we had worked on it for a couple hours, and will do more later this evening. We have had such fun times out in and around the pool and firepit that I would hate to do it, but, another year like this one, pool-wise, and I will be seriously considering removing it and filling it in. Wonder how much that would cost, hmmm.

KK, time has really flown by with the heart monitoring. Hope you can get your previous report also, I agree it seems the simple way would have been for them to keep it under your name.

Genny1, glad you can keep your pool open much longer. Glad you also like your boots, they sound like real winners. Hope your firewood is all neatly stacked before the weekend is over. That will be nice.

Sydsgma, hope you enjoy your time with grandkids, they are such fun especially at those ages. Good that you have recovered from your infusion, hope you are moving better soon.

bird, I agree, sometimes if you really want something, you may want to just go for it and pay full price, although like you, I do like to wait for a sale/coupon or something, lol. Sorry a co-worker  is having health problems.

Thought I lost this whole post for a minute, so I'm posting it now and will respond more later. Have a great weekend.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

LL, I'm glad to hear that you are feeling some better, hope that you continue to improve. Sorry your bone density results were not as good as you were hoping for, but improvement from last year is still good. Since your DH tends to get anxiety when facing "new" I'm sure it is better not to tell him too much ahead of time, I really hope he will go and enjoy himself there. Starting on the kitchen cabinets is exciting, it will be so nice once it is done. I  Sorry your read further down that DH didn't go on your walk and that you were hot from wearing the hoodie/jacket, sorry, but at least you got you walk in. You amaze me. And I mean that in a very good way.

twinny, so what have you decided to make for the potlucks...I think I remember you saying you also had another on Monday? Sorry your husband's friend has been ill, but I am glad you all heard from him as if I recall, you had said he was depressed, so I was concerned.

FHG, wow, I don't even know what to say. I do think it wise for you to find a good home for Anglica, possibly even one or two more of your furry friends as they do seem to be getting too much for you to deal with, not to mention the expenses of feeding them, along with everything else going on in your life. I wish the best for you and all the furry friends as well.

I am now heading downstairs to start filing papers, and while I'm down there, may as well start another load of laundry.

Wishing everyone a great weekend.

Esteemed Contributor

Snicks--Maintaiining a pool is no small or easy task. Most people who have pools here have the above ground type.  With even the above ground, the people said the number of good days to use it didn't justify the time and energy to put up each year and to maintain. I think one would be great if you enjoy swimming, or float reading, etc. and had the consistent weather great for one. We didn't have much of a Summer for the second year in a row. July had very low temperatures for us. The past week had temps in the 90s consistently for the first time this summer. I really hope your efforts will result in a pool that has the clarity of water you need next year

I put out all the deck furniture this Summer but  ventured out less than ten times. I just prefer the comfort and privacy of the inside since there is a street near the deck.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

SNICKS, For some reason I thought that you lived in FL. My DH & I have been to Branson probably 15 times over the years. It was so much fun years ago when IMHO the entertainers were much better than the new ones that are there now. The last time we went was about 5 years ago as friends wanted to go see Daniel O'Donnell & had never been to Branson. We were there late Oct/Nov., & the last day we had frost on the windshield. Of course we didn't have a scraper so our friend used his CC to scrape off the windows. So much fun & we would like to again. I think for my potluck tomorrow I will make shipwreck casserole. It has sliced potatoes on the bottom, followed by green beans & then hbgr. mixture with tomato soup followed by shredded cheddar cheese. I am taking cream puffs that I bought yesterday at the grocery store. Since DH & I are both on SF diets, it is something that we can eat & everybody else gobbles them up. I usually only take them in the wintertime & if we don't show up with then, we are always asked where they are. Monday I will be taking hamburgers for the cookout but what else I take is yet to be determined. Maybe a plate of sliced tomatoes & a cheese tray since I have both on hand right now. Dessert will probably be a fruit salad with all fresh things that we have in the house this time of year. Our potlucks are always very good.
Honored Contributor

Jean, I bought these from Bon Ton (online) today.  I think I can say that my boot collection is complete for at least a decade now.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

KK, you are so right about the upkeep and maintenance with pools. But I have to say that other than this year and we've been here for 16 years, the pool we have now (inground) is normally much easier and less maintenance really, than the above ground pool we had in the past.

twinny, Sounds like you really enjoyed Branson, it is a nice place to visit. Traffic is terrible there though, especially when the shows let out. Sounds like you are on top of your potlucks. Good for you.

birdmama, like these boots too. You are set, girl.

Well, after piddling around finding several other things I preferred doing, I did finally get my filing done, it only took a few minutes once I made myself sit down and just do it. I hate filing...can you tell? haha Got the laundry going too. Woo-Hoo for me, lol.

Esteemed Contributor

BIRD MAMA, Like the song goes, "These Boots Are Made For Walking." How cute are they? Very! Our only house guest for next weekend will be a gal that used to be my boss for many years & she graduated with my DH. She was married at 18 but things went awry when he suffered from Huntington's disease. Long story short is that she moved to where she lives now & he stayed behind. Eventually he went into a group home where he died about 2 years ago. Since she was a ministers daughter, she didn't believe in divorce. They had 2 lovely daughters & so this May 15, they scattered his ashes. They were married on May 15 & bought their cemetery lot on May 15 quite a few years ago. Does this make any sense to you? I want to make the guest room extra nice for her. Dinner tonight is chili in the crock pot that was made a couple of days ago.
Esteemed Contributor

Twinny--The shipwreck casserole sounds good as ddo oyour plans for the holiday. I've never been to Branson but have considered it. Time will tell.

Bernie--Cute boots! You do have a knack for finding the cutest things. Perhaps in another life, you were a personal shopper.

Snicks--Great job on getting the filing done. It is amazing how little some things take to do once we actually start doing them. There are some things I really find myself being a procrastinator.

Kathleen--I do hope all is going well for you in the "new" home.  I think you are in the midst of a shopping mecca.

Honored Contributor

This site is slower than molasses in January, which makes sense when you live in the North (lol).

Jean, Amex recently added a feature about a cardholder's credit score.  I checked mine a couple of days ago and don't quite believe it.  It's based off of Experian's data so I am thinking maybe the credit score I got when I refinanced the house was a combo of all of the credit reporting agencies.  My score cannot have gone up 20 points in 3 years.  I've noticed the Q really is hard selling their credit card.  

LindaL, sorry that you have a sore back.  I have a gas fireplace that hasn't been used in a decade.  Once gas prices went up - the fireplace stayed in the off position.  I'm glad you got your walk in and I hope that you don't get the sniffles from being in the rain.

Twinny,  Short of me visiting the new baby great niece this afternoon, I am also having a lazy day.  I never count laundry as a chore because the washer and dryer do all the work.  It's supposed to cool off here on Tuesday or Wednesday - when I'm back to work, of course.  I'm sorry that you and DH's friend is having issues.  Is this the friend that lost his wife?  Does he have any kids near?  Don't let Arlene hear you say church potluck (he, he).  I understand what you were saying about your former boss.  Even if she couldn't get along with him, she honored him for the sake of the children.

Snicks, man oh man, I don't know much about pools, but yours sounds Olympic sized (eyes bugging out).  Yea, you might want to close it up before leaves fall in an a new life form develops.  Stupid question - how do you get the water out and where do you put it?  Wouldn't it be nice if there was a plug on the bottom like a bathtub?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise