Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, SEPT. 18)

Greetings, shopping friends. Welcome to the last weekend of summer. It is slightly overcase with temps expected in the mid 80s. Next week, that will change mid-week with the introduction of Fall and a drop in temperatures in which a jacket might be required.

I did watch part of AM Style but didn't buy. One of the side effects of the pandemic is a reduction in the urge to shop. I did get my 4 pair of sweats from Hanes at a price for all 4 about the price of 1 leisure outfit from the Q. Since I will be wearing them inside the house, the savings was important now that I am not working.

I did go yesterday and get my flu shot. I also put several things on my Walmart list but saw that many were not available. Today, however, they were. I guess they were busy restocking overnight.

I'm still decluttering or minimizing. I thought today I would take the day off from it, but when walking through the kitchen I spotted something that could go. That led to five more items in the drawers that have not been used in ages. My guideline is if a utensil has not been used in six months and can be purchased if actually needed, then the item can go. 

If you shop, shop wisely. Is it a want or a need? Do you have anything like it? Are you accidentally duplicating something you already have? Take time to think.before purchasing.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, SEPT. 18)

KomKat---What good advice on the kitchen utensils. I have to control myself with the silicone ones and the spurtles. Love those both. I know me and I reach for the same ones all the time so I found an old canister and put those favorites on the counter. Then I went thru the drawer and kept only the oversized silicone utensils for the larger pots or holiday cooking. All the others I put in the donation bag. Now, I just change the channel when I see utensils. Gotta know your weakness. LOL Utensils and leggings are mine. I guess it could be worse but I'm trying to get better.    

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Everyone!

It's hot and humid with temps forecasted to be near 90 today. UGH. Today will be wallpaper instead of weeding. I sure can have fun around here. Still going back and forth with paint color selection but have decided to just select from light version of whatever catches my eye first.

It's hard to believe that it's flu shot season. Once again, the season has appeared faster than my done on my to do list. I had a longer than ususal list this year so I'll be happy with whatever we get done. As long as it is progress and done then it's good. 

I saw only a bit of AM Style today. I didn't have the urge to purchase anything since I had to return those Candace tops. I did try on the pj's that I received and had mixed feelings about the fit of them. I think I will probably keep them but that did it for me for any future clothing purchase  this year. I'm just frustrated tyring to find the proper size and I do check all the measurements and read the descriptions. I'm taking it as a good thing for my budget. 

Have a good afternoon/evening.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  You are certainly on a roll as far as decluttering goes.  I watched a tiny bit of AM Style, but managed not to order or even seriously consider purchasing.  I am still trying to reduce the number of clothes and shoes that I have, so buying more doesn't make any sense at all.  Glad you have your winter Hanes wardrobe.  Good you took care of your flu shot.  Mine will wait until after my trip.

Hi Fressa.  It is good to know your temptations. I have several, and I know that I have way more than enough.  Sorry your weather is hotter than you would like.  It is seasonably warm here (90's) and sunny at the moment.  There is a chance of storms later today.

The hospice supplies didn't arrive until quite late yesterday (after 4:30), and I needed my headlights on the way home from my last stop -- not fun.

My friend Bev is not feeling well, so no lunch today.  I will be joining the Zoom meditation group instead.  

Need to tell a funny story on myself.  When I take my morning walks (usually more than 1 1/2 hours), I listen to the radio (news and features) or my music.  As I was walking out this morning, I saw that my "Walk Woman" (MP3 player) needed to be charged.  So, no music or radio.  I thought perhaps I would be thinking of something of note, but instead became obsessed with the idea of buying a pizza to take out.  Yikes!  I have plenty of food here, but no pizza.  Still trying to decide whether to get one or not.  Silly.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice evening and sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

I just read your posts from today. 

We left home on Monday at 7:15 & got to Shipshewana at 4:00.  We chose to go the back roads which took about 3 hours extra, but there was very little traffic.  We went to quite a few shops and grocery stores & spent all of our $$ on mini SF chocolate chips for me and SF chocolate coated raisins for my dh, a squash which I can't remember what kind it is & 4 jars of SF jams/jellies.  

We wanted to eat a good lunch at the Blue Gate Restaurant, but it was packed to the gills with 5-6 buses, so we drove back to Middlebury and had a wonderful buffet at the Essen Haus.   The dining in menu room was so packed & we could get right in for the buffet.  Very few people & we had to put a glove on our serving hand.

The weather was In the low 80's on Monday and Tuesday so we were able to stay at a campground. Wednesday was In the 90's so we stayed at a motel.

We decided to drive part way back home on Wednesday and got back home on Thursday after lunch.  Since our last road trip was 2 years ago this month, we need to do baby steps.  We are hoping to do a two week road trip next month.

My dmil had her apt evaluated on Monday and went back home on Tuesday.  She fully understands what she has to do to be safe in the bathroom plus she has to use her walker everywhere in the house etc.  We got an email from my dh's db saying that she is very tired. 

My dh will be calling his mom on Monday to see if she wants to see him or needs help .  Things could be interesting bc his bro & sil are flying to Ireland tonight for a week.  Another one of my dh's bro & sil left yesterday on an AK cruise for a week.

Phone is ringing.  I'll be back.

Hugs to all of you.

Glenda

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, you have been busy getting rid if excess kitchen gadgets. I very happily decluttered my kitchen about 9 years ago when we had our kitchen flood.  

Nothing important, so I didn't answer the phone..

My cousin came up yesterday for a couple of days.  We haven't seen her since her dh's funeral 20 months ago.  Lots of things to catch up on.  Last night we went to Culver's for supper.  We had pumpkin spice coffee/creamer and bagels for breakfast.  Lunch was blt's & corn on the cob which my dh got from the Farmer's Market this morning.  Supper is bar b cue & then she is going to a friends house. 

She has the cutest little white poodle.  She never makes any noise and gets into nothing.  She likes to snuggle with my dh. Right now they are downtown seeing what's going on.  We are still recovering from a much needed mini vacation.

Fressa, I got bacon yesterday for $4.09 s pound, lettuce for $1.29 & my have 9 of own home grown tomatoes.  

Linda L, I  mopeded downtown this morning and did my walk for the first time in two weeks.  It's a beautiful upper 70's day.

Next week it's supposed to be in the 60's for 4 days and then 4 days of 70's.  I am so glad that Fall is in the air.  Two weeks ago, I washed all 5 of my reversible fleece coats.

Glenda

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny70--

The lettuce here has been holding at $1.99. I'm still getting a few tomatoes but half of them on the vines are turning bad before picking time. I'll bring some in to ripen in the kitchen and have a 50/50 chance of that effort. I'm still happy with the crop as I was able to make 2 jars of salsa plus use in chili and tomato sandwiches. We've haven'tt seen $4 bacon prices since the beginning of the year. UGH!! We love bacon  but I had to pass on the $9.

Esteemed Contributor

LindaLatte-- Sorry your friend Bev isn't feeling well. Hopefully, it will subside for a bit.  

I've never een a fan of nightime driving. Between being nearsighted and headlights bothering my migraines I avoided it for years. I'm glad you got home safely from your late delievery schedule. Hopefully, that won't happen again in the near furture.

Usually if I get a "taste" for some food I'll make or buy that in a matter of days. I have digestive issues so if I get a "taste" for something then I can usually eat it without any side effects. Currently, I'm fluctuating between pizza and cobb salads. I guess I have both sides of the scales on that one. LOL