Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, OCT.1)

Linda @LindaLatte  When I had to get rid of the perfectly healthy albeit destructive silver maple in the backyard I paid for the silver maple in the front yard to be pruned/groomed.  My arbor guy said the front yard maple hadn't been pruned ever and that it would have been less work for him to cut it down Woman Very Happy.  After that, I started having appointments every 3-5 years to rotate grooming/pruning of all the trees on my property.  It was like a rotating schedule and it's not cheap.   I haven't gotten an estimate from the tree guys yes and I'm already bracing myself.  There will be lots of stump grinding involved and I have tell myself you're doing it once Bernie and you'll never pay like this again.

I think a bit of structural pruning might be required on the walnut tree.  That's one heck of a tall tree and one limb that looks healthy is crossing the fence line up in the sky and I don't want my walnuts to be a PITA to the lady next door.  I talk to that neighbor and tell her don't pick up any walnuts that fall in the yard, I'll come over and get 'em.  Lucky for me it's been maybe a dozen this year.

The Q is shipping fast these days aren't they.  I couldn't get over how quickly my Lock n Lock TSV came in the mail.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

I have been reading your posts when I can get online.

Our road trip is going well.  We went on the bigger trail through the Great Smoky Mtns on Friday.  It's very scenic and the leaves are starting to turn.

We stayed at a very nice Natl Park on Friday night and last night.  The motel we had stayed at on Wednesday and Thursday raised their prices to to $200+ for Friday night and $200 for Saturday night.  The campsite was $12.50 a night and we got a good night🌙. 

This morning as we were leaving the campground  there was a huge elk right at the edge of the Hwy.  My dh said it's the biggest one he has ever seen.

We got on the Blue Ridge Pkwy Drive this morning.  It was closed yesterday because of Ian.  Luckily we only got a light rain early Saturday morning.  They thought the hurricane would be bad in that area.

It was in the 50's this morning and dropped to the 40's as we were going up the mtns.  Fog was very dense in the mtns and on the roads in a few places.

Then the sun came out and it was in the 70's.  We saw several large waterfalls. We had a good lunch at a bar b cue place.  The parking lot was packed, but they did safe distancing.

We will be getting back on the trail through the Blue Ridge Pkwy Drive and do some shopping & eating.  We met a nice lady at the motel and she gave us a map of the entire route and some nice places to shop, eat & sightseeing.  It's about 500 miles long and we will see as much as we can.

I am still not sure what route I will come back home as I don't like a lot of interstate roads.   People drive like idiots and on Tuesday,  we saw 2 guys in Corvettes drag racing and weaving in & out of traffic lanes  on a 5 lane Hwy.  Too bad there wasn't a police officer there.

Hugs to all of you.

Glenda

Esteemed Contributor

Birdmama--Thanks for the info on your fencing. That may be on the list for next year. We have a neighbor that keeps moving his property line down inton our yards and has starated to mow over my flowering vine and wild mint. 

That's quite the variety of trees/scrubs you have. It sounds like they purcahsed which ever one was on sale at the nursery without any plan or thought to care and size. 

When I had the townhouse my neighbor was from "tree country" (as she called it) and she knew quite a bit about trees and how they should be cut or pruned. When the maintaince crew were out she would say what they were doing wrong/right with the landscaping. She was always spot on. 

The other neighbor we have "hates trees". She had a tree company multiple times to cut all the trees in the shared woods half way down. They just left them there.No clean up. 

She then put in a fence (I think it 7 or 8') so she can't see any trees (or debris) from her lot. What an mess. She put in a huge in ground pool and has landscaped her front lawn to perfection. The odd part is that when she's weeding, etc. she tosses the debris over the fence into our shared "easment" area if we arne't outside. That is disappointing. 

Super Contributor

@Fressa  Dissapointing would not be the word that I would use, LOL

Honored Contributor

@chessielady  are we related?  Woman Very Happy

@Fressa ooh, you are a better person than I am.  I'm way too territorial to allow somebody to encroach on land that is legally described as mine.  I'm such a stickler about boundaries I asked the inspector if I needed a fresh land survey to replace an established lot line fence.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Glad you were able to find a place to camp rather than pay such a high price for the motel, Glenda.  Like you, I don't like the interstates -- hope you find a good route when it is time to come home.  Also hope you continue to enjoy the scenery.

I had to laugh when I saw your comments about Fressa's neighbor chessielady and Bernie.  I am not as nice as Fressa either.  My next door neighbors have several fruit trees (grapefruit and oranges) right near the wall separating our houses.  Their landscapers trimmed the bushes, and either threw or just let a bunch of the branches fall on my side of the wall.  I said nothing, but tossed them back over the wall.   

I had an OLLI class via Zoom this morning, then did an exercise DVD.  I have an appointment to get my flu shot this afternoon.  DD told me that my second DGS and his fiance got the flu (not COVID) despite having their flu shots last month.  Not fun.  

I saw on FB that Jean was back at a school today.  Assuming she is back to doing some substitute teaching.   Hope so since she enjoys it so much.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

P.S. My SIL emailed me that she has another new job since the other one was too stressful.   Hope it works out for her.

Super Contributor

@LindaLatte  Concerning those branches left on your side of the fence....we must be related also as I have chucked the offending branches back wence they came! LOL