Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, OCT.1)

Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone is safe from all the hurricane and storms. 

I finally did the grocery shopping yesterday. UGH!! My highs were butter at $4.05, bacon $6.59 ,ground beef $.59/lb in 5 lb packages. Everything else was just a blurr. Dishwasher tabs and rinse aid were closer to $10 than $6 and the packages are getting smaller.

Toilet paper was around $10-$12 for a multi package. Lettuce was the sale $1.59. Potatoes were $10/bag. I was able to get most of the items on my list so that was a relief. I have a few other items but those will wait until I have a prescription to pick up.

We'll getting rain and some wind gusts here but nothing too bad. I'm so relieved that we did the updating on the outside and have the generator. That"rainy day fund" was put to good use. 

We've been trying to tackle some of the small fix-it jobs before we get involved with wallpaper and painting. It's getting there but this weekend may just be used to relax.

The TSV looks cozy but I have one from last year. It's the best for running outside with the dogs. I'm not sure how it would be to drive the car or grocery shop. I've used it to nap on the sofa and that was cozy. The price isn't too crazy. It was good to see the polar fleece sheets. I love those things but have enough. 

Have a good afternoon / evening.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, OCT.1)

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Fressa.  Happy to report that DD (who recently moved to SC) said her area didn't have any problems -- rain, but not a deluge and normal strength winds.  That was a big relief, but I am so sorry that many in Florida and elsewhere continue to suffer even after the storm has past.  And, I hope those of you in the path of the storms will be okay.

Grocery shopping used to be fun for me, but no longer.  I still can't adjust to the new higher prices for less quantity, and the lack of items that I used to buy.  Glad you were able to get everything on your list.

I saw the TSV at midnight, and I thought that you had purchased a different version last year.  While I considered it, I decided that it just would not be that practical for me.  Yes, it can be chilly enough to require something like that for indoors here if you don't want to pay a lot for heat.  By the way, I ordered the fleece sheets since I wanted to have some that fit my smaller bed.  Hope that I like them.

My friend Bev and I had plans to meet for lunch today, but she wasn't feeling up to it.  Her hemoglobin was at a pretty good level, but she needed to have iron infusions.  Hope those help.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Stay safe everyone, and have a nice evening.

Hugs,

Linda

P.S. I went through my pants, and found six pairs to donate.  Still have more than enough, but I'm feeling lighter already.

Esteemed Contributor

Fressa, our grocery prices are pretty good yet.  That might change when we get back home.    Good luck with your wall paper and paint jobs.  

Linda L, I have never had a veggie burger & I am not a burger person.  Prayers for Bev.

We were going to go on the Blue Ridge Pkwy Drive this morning, but it's closed until noon tomorrow.  It's a beautiful drive in the Smoky Mtn National Park.

My dh is doing well.  

Glenda

Esteemed Contributor

LindaLatte----I'll keep Bev in my prayers. I'm glad your friends in the hurrican area are okay. It's amazing how weather can be so destrructive and in such a short time.

That's great that you found more pants and have some for the donation supply. I have started with one with 2 pair of Ryka's that just don't fit my feet. I'm slowly making another pass thru the clothes closets.I ususally do this on laundry day waiting for the washer to fuzz. That system seems to be working for the present. 

I agree about the grocery shopping not being fun anymore. I feel like I'm walking into a row of slot machines and pulling a lever when it comes to price. I try to buy the store "specials" but they really aren't "special" as they were in years past.

Esteemed Contributor

Ywinny70---Sounds like you're having a great trip. Glad your DH is feeling better.

Honored Contributor

It was nice to see sunshine today as it's been gloomy around here.  I'm looking forward to warmer temps (low 70's in the upcoming week).  I have one fence estimate scheduled for Tuesday .  There's one other company I would like to get an estimate from and I'll try to get them on the phone on Monday.  I kind of want to talk to the fence folks first because the chain link on the back fence will have to be removed before tree people can clear the trees and hedges.

I've seen deer in the field two Saturday early mornings in a row and I'm feeling sadness already about cutting down the trees.  Honestly who in their right mind plants pines and a mulberry two feet from a fence?  Part of me is a little ticked that the original owner put me in this position by her irresponsible planting strategy.

You know a couple of years after I bought this house we cut down a magnificent healthy silver maple that was planted near the side fence.  The roots were starting to buckle the neighbor's driveway.  The neighbor loved the tree and said she didn't care.  

Even though my husband was a retiree I took the day off and I started crying when the crew fired up the chain saw and didn't stop until the crew's truck left the front of my house.

I bought faux hedge slats and installed them on parts of the back fence that weren't full of evergreen already.  The product itself wasn't that expensive but shipping from CA was killer.  

Faux Hedge Slats - 6000 Series

This product looks as nice today as it did the day I installed it a few years ago.  My sister has chain link fencing and I asked if she would like to me remove the slats and give them to her before the fence folks pull my fence down.  It can be a hand crippling process if you try to get it done all in one day and you care about how you install or remove it. 

I might as well take advantage of nicer weather and get started on it - do an hour or two per day.  Always something to do around the house.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Birdmama---That webbing you have on the chain link fence looks impressive. I haven't seen any thing like that in our area. I've used the willow/faux leaf panels zip tied to the dinky vinyl garden fenching in some of our areas. It looks okay from the top of the driveway and lasts about two years. That material you have looks so much better. 

I really have my doubts if "planners" think about the types of trees and proper placment for growth. This area was all farm land yet in the "woods" area there are a variety of trees that would never be found in nature together in clumps. We have a variety of pine, white oak, hickory, cedar and I forgot the rest. The hubby went out with the chainsaw last month and cut up the big oak for firewood. (I think it was oak)  He cut up another one fpine tree for burning in the fire pit. There's more wood over there but the posien "whatever" is growing wild. We paid our tree guy to stack them in a safe area so they couldn't role or shift in another storm. Not one cent from the township. Honestly...I just shake my head.   

Honored Contributor

I ordered it online from a company called FenceScreen.  @Fressa 

The first owners of this house clearly loved trees and plants.  Now, I don't have acres of land that make up my backyard and here's what was planted.

1.  silver maple against side fence

2   crabapple tree not too far from mulberry tree

3.  sugar maple not too far from pines over to the right

4.  walnut tree in middle of yard

4.  pine tree near patio

5.  along the back fence left to right:

yew shrub, pine, yew shrub, gate, yew shrub, mulberry, yew shrub, 

pine, yew shrub, pine, yew shrub, pine

6.  yew shrub near patio

silver maple was healthy and had to go because it was damaging next door neighbors driveway

crabapple was ailing and I wasn't interested in saving it

sugar maple failed to thrive because the pines, walnut and mulberry blocked out the sun.

Honored Contributor

@Fressa   I don't know if you remember when John Denver advocated for the Arbor Day foundation.  They used to run ads where he would sing plant a tree.  I told my husband that every time the former owners heard John Denver sing plant a tree they did.  I love trees and shrubs and all of the wildlife that goes with it.  That said, use common sense and plant something like a pine at least 6 feet away from the fence to allow the tree to grow in it's normal Christmas tree shape.  

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening.  Good luck with those trees, Fressa. 

In my last Maryland house, there were lots of trees, and I ended up having some removed because I was concerned about them falling on the house, car, or the neighbor's car/house.  Not inexpensive, especially when I had the stumps removed  Then, when the house was about to be put on the market, a smallish tree that I hadn't worried about fell on the house. 

The one tree we had here (mesquite) when we moved in had to be removed after it kept losing branches.  I have not replaced it with a different variety since I don't want the hassle.  My neighbor had two nice trees planted, and one of them lost a huge branch last year.  And, those trees drop flowers that go all over my driveway.  

The previous owners of your house certainly did love trees and shrubs, Bernie. 

Nothing exciting to report -- church was good and the gym went okay.  Much to my surprise, the fleece sheets I ordered here arrived this afternoon.  I already have them in the wash. No chance that I'll be putting them on the bed any time soon, but I want to make sure I like them before the 30 day return period is up.  They sent me a notice that they are now on sale -- the sale price is $3 more than the special TSV price.  

Hope everyone has a nice evening and sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda