Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, NOV. 30)

Greetings, shopping friends. Today is "Small Business Day" and Monday is "Cyber Monday." In view of this, how much is the average cost of an American Christmas? For 2019, industry experts expect the average American to spend $920 per person on holiday gifts, up from $885 in 2018 and reaching a total of more than $1 trillion in holiday spending. (Investopedia.com, Nov. 8, 2019)

I have to say that I have spent more than usual this year after saying I wouldn't, but most has been on me. I didn't venture out on Black Friday. In fact, today was the first time I have ventured out of the house since Sunday. I haven't felt the best and didn't want to deal with the holiday crowds. I went to the Post Office for the first time in a week, and it was like Santa Claus had delivered to me there. 

My Black Friday purchase was online with Amazon with the purchase of the 8 inch Echo Show. I know what two of the QVC packages are: one is a Dennis Basso faux leather coat with great reviews that was on a fabulous clearace price, and the other is the H by Halston leather and suede jacket that was a lunch time special. It is unusual that I can get a quality item on clearance in my size, so we will see if my better judgement will keep only one.....but the prices were so good on both! The problem is that I don't really  need both but would be an investment against future spending.

I guess now that I have experienced a deluge of packages that I can tell myself "No More!"  Those are also famous last words before another purchase. I do know that what I purchased was considered carefully; they just were done in an unusual quantity for me.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, NOV. 30)

Hello  Ladies , sounds like you received quite a haul Jean I hope you like everything.  I did not go out on Black Friday but went out just before.  We are aupppse$ to be getting a storm tomorrow into Monday..my son from Maine went  back this morning hoping to beat the weather..and traffic ...they are supposed to get dumped on in southern Maine....he did plan on staying till Monday but the snow changed  that.

I could not get on here since Tuesday ,kept getting a message sorry but you are banned from this site. Don’t know why as I could get on to other areas of Qvc.  I had gott n an email bout my delayed cuddlduds and also a ten dollar credit to my account because of the delay.  I checked my order status and on Wednesday it said one of the tops had arrived at my post office.  I figured I,d get it Friday....I didn’t so I checked today and it said it arrived at the Oswego,NY post office.....WHAT ?........I checked to see how far away that is from me......318 MILES!!  ....and another top is still in process.....I ordered them Nov 12.  This is the first time this has happened to me.....oh well.

Now much else supper is left overs from Thursday and I picked up ingredients to make veg.beef soup for tomorrow  while watching the snow fall!

Have a nice dAY everyone...... Marijane 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Almost all of my Christmas gifts are cash or gift cards to DD and family and DH's children and family.  Years ago, I set a monthly budget figure to cover money for DD's family -- birthdays and Christmas.  DH's family is a more recent addition, and I haven't really included that in my budget, but should.  I may also pick up some token gifts for my volunteer buddy, etc., and I also purchase gifts or gift cards for church Christmas collections.  I don't consider purchases for myself to be real Christmas or birthday gifts, but I do tend to indulge myself even more than usual this time of the year.  I'm working on that, but.....  It is very difficult for me to resist a bargain on something I think that I will like/use.  And, having a December birthday doesn't help.

Hope you enjoy the bounty you picked up from the Post Office.  I am interested in the Echo Show, but I haven't ordered one yet.  Another electronic thing that I am considering is a laser printer.  My ink jet is still working, but the cartridges don't last very long and have gone way up in price.  That purchase can probably wait since i still have one more cartridge, but I saw there are some good deals on printers.

Today is sunny, but still cool.  It should make it up to the 50's, but was in the high 30's last night.  My heat came on for a while.

I'm still dealing with restrictions due to my vein procedure, and it isn't easy for me to only walk for 10 - 15 minutes an hour, rest with my feet up often, and not bathe until tomorrow.  But, I am trying to follow the doctor's orders to avoid a clot or other issues.  My hospice patient's son said his family is still there, so I will not be visiting her today.  I may try going to the grocery store to pick up a few things later.  Also plan to do my usual laundry and weekly financial review.  I also hope to put away my Fall decorations today.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice Saturday.

Hugs,

Linda

ETA -- sorry your son had to leave early, Marijane.  But, I think he is wise to avoid the possible bad weather.  Your soup sounds like the perfect thing for snowy weather.  That is weird about your order and not being able to get on this part of the site.  Thank goodness you made it back here, and hope your order arrives soon.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Linda--Dealing with the restrictions on your vein procedure must have you feeling "trapped" at times or unable to do your regular activities at the usual intensity or duration. As far as electronics are concerned, I purchased a small HP lazer printer on sale and it has been one of my best purchases. I don't miss the ink jet or the frequent ink replacements.

Marijane--What a shipping headache! I remember a few years ago, I got a surprise delivery from UPS. When I looked at the label, I saw that it was intended for someone else. I called the Q and they had UPS to come back and pick up the package.

I tried both of the jackets which I had sized up to have room for sweaters, etc. underneath based upon garment measurements.  Both the DB faux leather and the Halston leather are gorgeous. Sizing is a problem. The Halston was too tight in the sleeves and was difficult to zip. The DB is the definite winner, so the Halston will be going back. That takes care of two of the packages; the other package is that Berkshire oversized set of two blankets.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Hello Jean @KonaKat  I was in a car accident on Small Business Saturday and few years ago.  It's funny, I had a feeling that day to keep my behind at home and I thought, naw, spend some money at one of the local small businesses.  The car accident happened in my subdivision and I never made it to the store.  I don't go out on Small Business Saturday since then.  Maybe one day I will shake the heebie-jeebies that I have about the day.  Today in 2019 is not that day Woman Very Happy

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Marijane @Genny1   the forums have been tempermental this week.  

Honored Contributor

Linda @LindaLatte   I'm glad that you made it through the vein procedure okay and are following the discharge instructions.  

Honored Contributor

The DB jacket that you purchased is really  nice looking @KonaKat   I'm glad it was a winner.

Honored Contributor

I store my Christmas tree in one of those heavy duty big Christmas tree bags.  I think the bag should be put on the tree top down (opening at the base of the tree) however I put my tree in the bag and them shimmy it up and close the top with clothespins.  Anyways,  I wrestled the tree upstairs this morning and had it where I wanted it by 8 am.

I'm almost done decorating around the house.  Just need to get my nativity table set up.  Once that's done, I'll add the ornaments to the tree and that's it Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--The DB jacket looks better in person than on the website. The 4.6 rating for it is well deserved. The clearance price of $60+ for a jacket that once sold for $175 is almost motivating enough to buy it in another color but it doesn't come in black. 

I can appreciate your Small Business story as I have a similar one as I avoided a spot for over a year after an accident in which I found afterwards there had been 100 accidents there in 2 years. Good job on the decorating!