Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, NOV. 19)

Good morning, shopping friends. It is with sadness that I report that our unseasonably warm and beautiful weather is being replaced by low temperatures, dark skies, rain and predicted snow showers. As bad as I consider that, it is still better than the blizzard conditions elsewhere

I am tired so instead of going to the city to take care of odds and ends, I am taking the day off. Alternating days of work with trips to the city for physical therapy has been tiring. We have the coming week off for Thanksgiving and the beginning of deer season. Deer hunting is very big here.

I had my physical therapy re-evaluation on Thursday with a request to the insurance company to continue paying for more sessions. I have Medicare Humana Advantage plan as the primary and my old State Insusrance plan is the secondary  which picks up much of what Humana does not pay. This has been extremely beneficial when it comes to prescriptions as my drugs come to over $4,000 a year alone. One of them is almost $300 a month. For things to be thankful, I am very thankful for my insurance company. No one likes paying premiums but in my case I have benefitted from the coverage.

Right now, I am in the mood to treat myself...or call it Midnight's Christmas gifts to me. I ordered a pair of the Earth boots A284124 and see that they have shipped. I loved the patchwork look in bark and the special pricing at the time presented sealed the deal. I see that they are now $99. There is also a pair of Halston boots on clearance which I am considering. My foot size has changed on my right foot since I broke the toes on that foot last Spring so the boots I have had for some time are not fitting well. Time will tell if these will. The last time I looked for shoes in the stores my size did not have a good selection.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely. Hugs to all who are experiencing illness or other traumatic family events during this holiday season.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, NOV. 19)

Good morning all, and thanks @KonaKat for the start. Sorry you are feeling tired, but I can understand why you are. Rest up today. Glad you treated yourself.

It's in the low 30's here and still windy, but not nearly as much as the last couple days. Trucker girl said driving was difficult and stressful, at one point she had to go 100 miles with an empty trailer. Empty trailers in wind is not a good situation, let me tell you. I asked her if her trailer came around to meet her at her window, she said no, but she kept her eye on it, just it case it happened. She now is at nearly 80,000 lbs and said she is stuck to the ground pretty good. She was glad to stop last night, very tiring to drive in these conditions.

Other than my lunch out later, that's it for me today, other than putzing around the house.

Waves....

"To each their own, in all things".
Trusted Contributor

Hello friends - Jean - I can also understand your feeling tired, but I respect your hard work at physcial therapy.  Hope you're able to continue.  I also have much to be thankful for, and need to keep that in mind.  Stay warm.  Snicks - I don't really think about what our truckers go through, so I'm saying a prayer for trucker girl!

Oh boy...did I have a challenging day yesterday.  I was helping an old family friend hold a yard/estate sale.  I had called her 2 days before and offered to get things ready, but she assured me that she had been going through everything, had everything priced, etc.  She also assured me that she had other people lined up to help, had plenty of $1s and change, etc.  Well, I showed up 45 minutes early, and NOTHING was done.  Nothing was priced.  Nothing was set up.  I was the only helper there , though her son eventually got out of the shower and helped.  There were already people lined up for the sale to begin.  I worked hard all day.  I borrowed 3 card tables from my Mom (who lives around the corner), dragged out box after box of books and set them out.  You get the idea.  In the afternoon, her brother and SIL showed up and sat there doing nothing.  Good grief.  I have to leave in a few minutes to help out again.  Hoping today will go smoother.

Also had a talk with my Mom in the evening and she said that she is considering moving into a senior living facility.  My sisters and I have talked about it a little bit, but I had no idea that my Mom was seriously thinking about doing it.  It might be a good idea, but it's felt very sudden to me.  My Mom said that she's aware that she's not thinking as well as she used to, so it might be a good idea for her to move, but it's emotional to think of my mother (one of the strongest people I know) as being frail.

Well, thanks for letting me share my thoughts with you today.  I need to get moving.  Hope the yard sale goes well.  Blessings to all  ~  Charlene

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Snicks--From what I saw on the news, Trucker Girl was vey brave to be negotiating those roads, especially with an empty trailer. Enjoy your lunch out and whatever you find to do around the house.

Charlene--Sorry that the yard sale was a burden.Sounds like the person had no idea was was involved. It is good that your mother is taking the initiative to make the decision to move into an assisted living facility. It shows an awareness on her part that she might need this help but I also know that it delivers a message to the children that your mother is no longer as capable of she once was and the unknown that lies ahead.

A $400 hair dryer? I'm sorry but I would prefer to spend the money on an airline ticket to somewhere warm despite it being a one-time use cost. I air dry my hair unless I absolutely have to get it dried quickly. How many pair of boots could Bernie and I order for that price? At least two to three pair!

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Image result for saturday fall images

Esteemed Contributor

meallen--Thank you for the great graphic. Midnight purred his appreciation.

TSV versus pair of boots? I'm not saying that I'm ordering either but the logical part of me says that if the boots worked then I could get more value out of the cost per use for the boots. A "no scent" fragrance in the spray fragrance? What is holistic fragrance? Adapts to body chemistry? To me, "no scent" means no scent.

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, we are under wind advisories until noon today.  It will be in the 30's today & tomorrow, but 40's all next week.  I welcome snow after my appointments are done, but not a foot at a time.  Fatigue from PT is not fun, but will be worth it in the end. Enjoy your new boots.  I am another one that doesn't mind paying for my insurance premiums.  My one drug would be over $800 for a 3 month mail-order RX.  The rest are cheap thank goodness.  My infusions are very outrageous, but necessary so I am sooooo glad that my insurance is good.  A $400 hair dryer=NO!  I am with you & would rather vacation.

CERB, What an awful garage/estate sale mess.  Your friend is lucky to have you there.  Mom's estate sale was tiring & that was after we had gotten rid of 90% of her things before the sale.  I had no sibling help, but my DH & some girlfriends were fabulous.  My mom didn't want to hear anything about going into an assisted living home, so it made things rough for me when her PT rehab facility was making her worse & we had to put her into an assisted living home.  It was a nice place & she got good care so that was all I could ask for.  I have no regrets & did my best.  

SNICK's, your trucker girl is brave.  We had 50 mph winds yesterday, but things will be better after lunch.  

I am taking it easy today.  I did give DH a haircut this morning & want to bring a few Christmas things up from the basement.  We are not having a big Christmas tree this year.  I bought a beautiful medium sized silver tree & 2 matching small trees.  My first QVC purchase 15 years ago was the tree that we are getting rid of a little bit each week.  The one tier of lights died last year & DH had to put lights there. If we miss a big tree, we will get a new one next year.  It has been a stressful year, so changing things up a bit.  I love snowmen & bought 2 nice ones a few weeks ago.  

I am looking forward to our church's Thanksgiving meal tomorrow.  Thursday will be bittersweet, so DH & I are eating out.  Restaurant is still unknown.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny--Eating out on Thanksgiving is getting to be more popular with families for a variety of reasons. I personally plan to eat out with a friend. No time spent in preparation, no leftovers but just pleasant company and money spent on just what is eaten and then not wasted or over eaten. Just as long as I have a slice of pumpkin pie, I'm fine.

Twinny--I just got around to trying on that Dennis Basso faux leather coat that is on clearance. It is a winner, especially at the clearance price. I remember you asking about the turnkey buttons. For me, they work easier that traditional buttons. I like it so well that I am considering another color at that price. The look is great as well as the fit. The coat came on the  usual hanger, wrapped in tissue paper and enclosed in a sealed cover.

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, I look forward to eating out on Thursday as I have been eating "lean" for a few weeks trying not to gain an ounce before my appointment & labs on Monday.  It was hard to behave myself on Thursday with my cousins & DH having a wonderful buffet.  Tomorrow will be a challenge also with our church's Thanksgiving dinner.  I am thinking turkey, ham, my SF cranberry salad & maybe a veggie salad.  No desserts or the cake that will be served after lunch at the baby shower.    I tried that DB coat on at the outlet store, but had a hard time getting it closed.  It is a beautiful coat though & how nice to get it wrapped up so nice.

Lunch time.  

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny--Sorry the DB coat didn't work for you as it is a great coat. I do think another one is coming home to me as the other DB faux leather I have in black and wine are on their third year. If these last like the prior ones, I won't need more for a couple of years. I have no need for coats now as the winter one I purchased last year is definitely still good.

i always have a history of November and December being my big purchase months. Now, it is time to put on the spending brakes.