Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, NOV. 19)

Hello, yesterday it was sunny and 70 degrees.  Today it's partially sunny and didn't make 40 degrees.  I ran a couple of errands and drove through rain and sleety then sometimes well formed snowflakes.  Can't say I expected the snow, lol.

As I mentioned before the retirees and surviving spouses of retirees are being given an HRA and are being sent to the exchange to purchase health insurance.  I went through and applied for a policy that has cost share changes that are pretty radical compared to what I have.

Health care in America - whatcha going to do?  I beat the December 15th enrollment deadline so I'm happy about that.  I'm hoping there will be an online bill pay process.  I know I will pay the policy then go to the administrator of the HRA and get reimburses.  This will be the monthly ya-ya from here on out.  

Like I need one more thing to remember and track, he he he.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Evening, Thanx @KonaKat for the start, I do agree with you re:$400 hair dryer & no scent cologne??? don't get that at all, but for those that do, hope you enjoy.

I also agree about yard/garage sales, a lot of work, had a few some years ago but not planning on any more, probably would be a good incentive to get rid of things & a few $$ to boot.

Medical Insurance is a big problem in this Country, I do feel sorry for those that are paying huge premiums but it is a necessity, I'm on Medicare with a supplement, finally switched to an Advantage Plan (HMO) when I discovered my Internist was accepting it, so far it's been great at a reduction of over $200 per month, yikes what a bargain, how it would be with a serious health issue I don't know, but for now it's a blessing.

For the next 5 days it's all about Thanksgiving around here, takes me longer & longer every year to get things organized, but in the end it's well worth it

Wishing all a good evening

Essie 

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening and thanks for getting us started Jean.  Sorry about your weather.  It is nice and sunny here -- probably in the 70's, and it was warmer this morning on my walk.  Hope you like your new boots, and glad you like the DB coat so much.  I never understood about expensive hair dryers myself, but my hair is short so it does not need all that much drying.

Hearing about your trucker girls experience put a shiver up my spine, snicks.  So glad she made it, and hope things go smoothly with the new load.  Hope you had a nice lunch.

What a burden that sale was for you, Charlene.  You are a good person to do all that for her.  Hope that things sold well.  I understand how you feel about your Mom, but I think it is wonderful that she has decided to make the change before being forced to do so.  I see way too many people who are struggling with living on their own, keeping up a house and yard, etc.  Hope that your Mom finds a place that she really likes, and makes many new friends.  

DH and I really did not think we would be happy living in a retirement community (most people are 55 plus), but it has been wonderful.  A regular (all ages) town is just a few blocks away from our house, so we can see and enjoy the kids, etc.  I guess I should say that I can since DH no longer gets out, but he did enjoy it in the past.

Cute graphic, meallen.

Hope you have fun at the church Thanksgiving and your dinner out, twinny.  I think you are wise to shake things up a bit this year.  I am doing the same.  Good time to start new traditions.

I sure would not like your weather, Bernie.  I rushed to cancel our dental insurance when open season started.  DH really cannot go to a dentist, and I figured any dentist that would go to the facility would probably not take his insurance.  Mine is a little different, but I don't think that my policy was worth it last year.  Fingers crossed that I win that bet.  Both my Medicare rate and insurance rate are going up, but not by leaps and bounds, thank goodness.  

Hope your Thanksgiving celebration is great, Essie.

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, Marijane, Susan, Barbara, 3suwm5, butterfly, Gayle, pinky ann, Rosa, LindaR, and all of our posters and readers.

I had a "meet and greet" coffee this morning, and it was a rush to get there and still take my long walk, etc.  I was really pleased because not only did they have some fresh raspberries and blueberries in addition to the usual cookies, I had a very nice talk with one of the leaders.  We often work out at gym around the same time, and she wondered about DH.  Another very sweet and supportive person.  I know it isn't always possible to recognize caregivers and others, but it is so appreciated.  One of the ladies at the caregivers meeting told us about an experience she had like that, and it made all of us feel good.

After the coffee, I went to see DH who seems to be doing very well today.  His head cuts, etc., seem to be healing.  I know it will take time, but.... We walked around and outside several times, and I fed him lunch.  They offered me lunch, and I happily accepted -- quiche, green salad, and fruit salad.  Yummy!

Now, I'm trying to do my regular laundry and financial stuff as well as do a little cooking and cleaning.  A friend invited me for brunch tomorrow, so I'm trying to figure out how to fit everything in that i usually do on Sunday.  I know I'll not be able to feed DH lunch, but I should be able to help with dinner.

Sleep well everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Trusted Contributor

Checking in late, wanted to let you all know that the yard/estate sale went much smoother today.  It was a long day, and I'm tired, but since most of the stuff had been set up yesterday, that part wasn't so hard.  Plus, there were nicer people stopping by to shop today.  I am really glad to have helped out.  The woman who passed away was somebody I loved like an aunt.  I brought home a few little mementos: a vase, 2 teacups, a few books, a little fabric, and a darling black and red knit hat.  Take care!  - Charlene