Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, NOV. 14)

Good morning, shopping friends. I'm still operating on Hawaii time so my plans to be up early to watch AM Style were not realized. Instead, I was awakened near the end of it by a telephone call. Right now, I'm watching Saturday Morning Gifts. I remember when David Venable was a newscaster at a small TV station in our state; time has brought many changes...all good.

Tomorrow night is my adventure in doing a sleep study. I had told them the dates I was obligated and when i would be returning from the trip and said that Thanksgiving week should be the earliest it should be scheduled, as I knew it would take me a long time to get adjusted to the time change back. I never have problems going east to west but the reverse is a real challenge for me. Instead, they scheduled the test earlier than I wanted along with a second one a week later. At least, the insurance company called and said it was approved.

Six weeks until Christmas? Other than the reason for the season, this is a non-event time for me. I just keep wondering if some of these gifts they push at this time are so good then why are they not offered at other times in the year. You know---those flashlights, etc.  Just what I need....a drone. "Everyone is picking it up today." Well, I'm not.

My thoughts and prayers are with those facing health challenges personally or in the family and also with those in Paris. Evil has always existed and will continue to do so; it is implemented in different forms. We cannot take anything for granted; we must treasure each day as we don't know what lies ahead.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, NOV. 14)

Good Morning!  Thanks for getting us started Jean.  Hope the sleep study goes okay despite your lack of sleep.  I have had the same problem -- much more difficult with time changes when traveling East rather than West.   The time zone difference between Hawaii and the East Coast is so large that it is very difficult for many.

I had no plans to shop today, but I looked at my wish list and found a pair of Linea pants that have been on my list for ages (more than a year) were available at a reduced price.  Hope that I like them after I receive them.

Evil has always existed, but whenever something like Paris happens, it comes as a shock to many, including me.  My prayers are with all those injured or killed and their friends and relatives.  Also thinking of  our thread "regulars" who are dealing with health issues of their own or loved ones.

Bernie's story about her Mom's birth was really something.  

The potluck yesterday was nice, and by chance I sat next to a lady who I had seen at the Caregivers group once.  I couldn't remember where I had seen her at first, but then she was talking about her DH, and it came to me.  She is an older lady (older than me, LOL) who is fashionable and looking good.  Maybe not quite up to the Tova standard, but great.  Anyway, her DH was in a nursing facility for the fourth time -- mini stroke, infection, heart issues, etc.  He is 91 and loved his time at the club.  But, she is not sure he will be able to return.

After the potluck, I stopped by the motor vehicle office to see if I could get a form for my eye doctor to complete, and the place was mobbed.  Not even one chair to sit on!  Not worth the wait, especially since i didn't have book to read while I waited.  So, I just dropped off the remainder of my pasta at home and went to pick up DH.  He was fine, and they told me that they had cut his fingernails.  I was very surprised that they offered that service, and they said that is something that they do.  Wow!  I have trouble keeping up with his grooming since he is sort of a wiggle worm when I try to trim his beard or chip his nails.  

We went to the store after that, and DH was having lots of trouble sitting, standing, and walking.  So, when we got home I said I'd go for a walk, and see him when I returned.  He asked me five times if he was walking with me, which was upsetting.  I think I'll see if he can walk around the block today.  Just don't dare taking him for a longer walk.

I plan to go to the grocery store for a few items this morning, and I video that I reserved is waiting at the library.  Of course, I'll do my regular laundry and financial review.

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, twinny (more hugs), Bernie, snicks, Susan, Marijane, LindaR, Rosa, Barbara, Karen, Gayle, Charlene, and all of our posters and readers.

Have a nice day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DA AT A TIME (SATURDAY, NOV. 14)

Good morning everyone, and thanks KK for starting the thread. So glad you enjoyed your Hawaii visit and are safely back home and getting rested and re-adjusting to the time difference. Good luck on the sleep study/studies. Christmas for us has diminished a lot over the years. It used to be a huge thing, but as the kids/grandkids grew up and are now scattered all over, it just isn't the same, as is to be expected, I guess. We do what we can to celebrate, but it is small potatoes, lol, in comparison. The Paris attacks are truly horrible and frightening. My husband said last night that it really makes you feel like not going anywhere. I told him that I refuse to let this make me a prisoner in my own home and hope he does not either, we will see.

LL, glad you saw the lady at the potluck, nice when someone older than "us" is still looking nicely put together. I did not have any idea that the club would help with nails, etc. That's nice. So sorry DH is having mobility issues, this is just recent, right, the last week or two? I think shorter walks sound best, don't want to be too far away from home if a problem comes up. You know best, of course.

I have many things to do, but first I am making several lists of things to do, gifts to buy, Christmas card list, etc. I work much better with a list, so today that is my priority. Then we will go from there. Have a nice day everyone. Waves...

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Hey Jean, thanks for getting us started.  I hope the sleep study folks understand you came back from a long trip and don't mistake any sleeplessness with something else. 

LindaL, I don't know enough about your beloved's condition.  Are mobility issues common for the condition?  I'd be concerned too given he fell down and is now having issues.

Snicks, get cracking on those lists.

I forgot to add "put Boy Scout Food Drive groceries on the porch by 9am" on my list of things to do today and didn't remember until 10:30.  I hope I didn't miss the scouts and they circle back. 

My middle sister and I are going to catch the new James Bond movie this afternoon. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Linda--I do hope the Linea pants work out well for you. I completely understand your not waiting at the DMV. I do hope that DH can go on a modified walk with you today. His safety is your primary concern with the walk but it is difficult listening to his requests for the walk. Glad the potluck worked out well.

Snicks--The purpose of these attacks is to create fear in people. If people choose to not do favorite activities because of fear, then the terrorists have succeeded. I remember flying shortly after 9/11, not because I had to but because I wanted to show that I was willing to take the risks. Now the planes are full. People are getting comfortable again with flying but terrorism can strike in any form. Have fun making a list and checking it twice.

Bernie--One of the ways I am going to kill time in the city tomorrow evening before the sleep study is seeing the new James Bond movie or Bridge of Spies as I haven't seen it. I need to check the times and length. The purpose of the sleep study is to see if there is any problem affecting the atrial fibrillation.

I have the cuddl duds slipper sock shoes on now. I see that they are now on clearance, but the price I paid was a OTO price lower than the clearance price. Duh!! They are warm.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Jean, I think the run time for Spectre is 2 hours 28 minutes.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Good morning friends!  Jean I hope your sleep study is effective and efficient. My Dr ignores my scheduling desires too.  You would think they work for us!!  ha ha  I hope you are able to take it easy as you adjust back to your time. 

Linda, so sorry for DH's mobility issues.  I'm sure everything is becoming a "new normal" for you. I have to say I admire your grace and patience in spite of all the changes.  

I am having a lazy morning, and when DH comes home I am making him run errands with me.  I have to go to the grocery and arrange turkeys for his department Thanksgiving meal.  OH!  I just realized it is not until next week!  So I found a place to cook the turkeys but will have to figure out how to heat them.  I think we will buy a big roasting oven thing because they sure won't fit in the oven here!

That is all for my life.  Paris - so very sad.  Have to limit what I read and watch because I can get consumed in the details and spend my time feeling very sad and helpless.  The same reason I watch little news, and not much of those CSI type TV shows that my Beloved thrives on!  Give me some totally fictional Walking Dead anyday!  Smiley Happy  But yes, my heart is def with all those in Paris.

Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--Spectre will get me out of the theater by 6:20pm and Bridge of Spies will get me out at 7:00pm.  Bridge of Spies will give me just two hours to kill and Spectre will give me 2 and a half hours to kill before I report for the study. The later times for the movies all run over into the appointed time.

Kathleen--I never pictured you as a Walking Dead type of person. I also watch it but really liked Breaking Bad or Dexter better. Perhaps you need to go to one of those rental places and rent an oven for the day of turkey prep.  You are so correct about doctors "working" for us. Actually, this is the first time I've had a problem with this but this is a case where I think the communication broke down between the doctor's office and the sleep lab people. They did call me while I was in Hawaii but when I got back, the individual responsible for sleep lab communication was not in the office.

Respected Contributor

I am back in the cold country...had to get my infusion and other medical stuff done. Back to warmer weather tomorrow.

jean, I have more trouble east to west..guess I am an oddball.

bernie, in my experience with dementia, the physical issues also help. My dear sil, who is 6 months older than...and I am not that old, developed early onset Alzheimer's and is now end stage...she is completely bedridden. Very sad.

paris is a city I have been to several times..one of my favorite places so what has happened makes me very sad. I know exactly where that theatre is. I was trying yo explain this to Sydnie in words a child woul understand. And yes, I would go there tomorrow.

linda. You are an angel.

twinny...I am so sorry to hear about your mom, but it will be a good thing in the long run. I know it was for me under similar circumstances. ((((Hugs))))

and the the same to everyone else. Enjoy your day.

Respected Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, NOV. 14)

Hi girls!  It's another beautiful day out, but cooler - only 60° last time I looked. I have no plans to go anywhere, but I want to get started on raking the leaves -  I want to get at least those on the front porch cleared off. If I put them on the road in front of the house the town will send a truck that sucks them up. I also need to get the car washed, especially the windows - hopefully that Invisible Glass will do as good a job on the dogs' "nose art" as it did on the inside mirrors. 

I think the reason the west to east jet lag is so bad is because it goes against the natural movement of the sun from east to west so it throws your body rhythm off. I just recall that from all my trips to Hawaii I was happy to be "out of it" after I came home, not when I started my vacation!  I do remember when I moved here from Hawaii I slept for almost 24 hours straight - no doubt emotional upheaval was part of it, and I was also coming down with something; I ended up being sick for days.

LindaL, my heart goes out to you - it's so difficult to watch someone you love go downhill like that.  I pray for you and twinny often.

ISIS has said there will be many more attacks; my fears are for the holiday travel season.  It's not too early to get started on prayer for protection of those who will be traveling.  Oh, how I long for the Lord's return, when evil will be no more!

Jean, I agree, Christmas is a non-event, apart from the reason for the season, which most seem to have lost sight of anyway - it's all about greed and the hype starts so early that by the time Christmas arrives, it's anticlimactic.  It's sad to see how many stores will be open on Thanksgiving; family and tradition loses out to corporate greed again... Cat Sad  Most of the gifts will soon be forgotten, but the memories are something that last...and they're being ruined.

Well, I guess I'll make a cup of tea and then get moving.  Hi to everyone - have a blessed day!