Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, MAY 27)

Good morning, shopping friends. I just returned from the city where I went to pick up my cell phone at the dealership where I left it yesterday. This is slightly over a 100 mile round trip but with a storm possibly in the forecast, I decided not to frequent any stores. They will still be there in some form later.

Charlene, congratulations to your DD as she graduates vet school today. I know you are tired from the ten hour drive but it is so worth it to be able to share and celebrate her accomplishment.

I just downloaded a third book in a series from Kindle Unlimited, so you can guess what I will be doing this afternoon. If it were not for the rain and possible storm, I would have gone to the cemetary to place flowers but that is something that also can wait.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, MAY 27)

Image result for memorial day tributes images

Honored Contributor

Good Morning Jean @KonaKat and thanks for getting us started today.  My front lawn tends to dry out faster than the back, however it could still use a few more hours of warm weather and sun before I pull out the lawnmower.  

I figured I might as well work around the weather, so I put on my rubber boots and trimmed the evegreen shrub and the leafy (have no idea what kind they are) busshes in the front of the house.

Some neighbors around me shape the life out of their shrubs :-)  We each have our own taste - my style could be called - controlled natural.  

I'm drinking my carnation high protein shake and eating a kashi bar for breakfast right now.

I need to shape the forsythia in the back yard.  When my dog was alive, he liked to stand under the forsythia for shade.  I hand trimmed that one to look more umbrella shaped.  It looks like the main trunk of a tree and then the 'habit' is shaped like an umbrella more or less.

Kind of like this

Image result for tree

Max has been gone since September 2008 and I still maintain the forsythia the same way.  Never know if his spirit will want to visit his old stomping grounds, lol.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon, and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Sorry you had to make that trip just to pick up your cell phone, but I'm sure I would do the same.  Enjoy your book.  I received my Echo yesterday afternoon, and I have changed it from easy pay to pay in full.  Guess you can tell that I'm enjoying it already.  i started with the weather, the news, and timer.  I tried listening to music, but I have not quite figured out how to get my music to play.  Meanwhile, I started a shopping list.  Not a need for sure, but what a lot of fun.

But, I wonder if you have had the same experience with omitting the thank yous and pleases.  I have always said please and thank you when I asked for assistance, and it feels positively weird not to do so.  Then I remember, it is just a machine.  LOL  Hope this doesn't carry over to interactions with people.  I don't like to be rude or demanding.  

You are such a softhearted/nice person, Bernie.  I know how much you love your birds, and I'm sure Max had a very good life with you.  I'm also impressed with your ability to do so many things in the yard and house,  etc.  Unfortunately, I am not as talented, although I try.

Wonderful graphic, meallen.  I certainly remember my family buying flowers and visiting the graves of our relatives.  A couple of my Uncles were buried in Arlington National Cemetery which was particularly impressive.  

I haven't accomplished very much this morning, but I did take my walk and return a DVD to the library (they have a slot where you can return books and DVD's after hours.  I'm lucky that the library is within walking distance.  I also started on my laundry and switched out my comforter to my lighter/summer weight one.  I searched high and low for my cotton blanket to no avail, so a new one will be coming from Amazon.  If the old one turns up, I'll donate it to the animal rescue thrift store.  If they can't sell it, they can probably use it for the dogs or cats.

DH was much better yesterday, and I'm hoping he will be even better today.  I called both his son and daughter yesterday so he could talk to them.  His DGD enjoyed her East Coast trip, and now thinks she might like to go to college on the East Coast.  She is only 13, so that might change, of course.

Guess I should get back to the laundry and weekly financial review now.  

Waves to all of our posters and readers, and have a good day!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, I  am glad that you got your phone back.  Yes, the stores will still be there another day, as will the cemetery.  I read 2 books this week & it just felt good to kick back & relax my tired weary body.  

Meallen, nice graphic again.  

Bird Mama, it sounds like you had a fun time redoing things in your kitchen.  Even though I decluttered my kitchen about 4 years ago I like things to match & look nice.  My DH is mowing the lawn now & has been working around a few showers this week.  

Linda L, I am glad that you enjoy your Echo as does Jean.  I am not tech savvy so I don't have one.  I am glad that your DH is doing better.  

I am glad that we got the 4 shrubs & 4 tomato plants put in on Thursday.  It was rainy on Wednesday, so it was easy digging for my DH. 

Yesterday I hung laundry out, got groceries with my DH & paid a visit to my parents gravesite.  It was melancholy just the 2 of us going.  Last year I was still a bit numb. I also have my one set of grandparents there, an Aunt, Uncle, & several great aunt's b& uncles.  When we were all done, it was get to dark & it rained just as an as I got the laundry in.

DH & I went to 3 cemeteries this morning all within 1/2 hour away.  My great grandmother in one, her husband whom fought in the Civil War in another one.  Why they are in 2 different cemeteries, I have no idea &  then on to my  DH's dads gravesite.  My fil's funeral was 28 years ago today.  It was a whirlwind affair as our DS graduated from HS & had his party that weekend too.

It is another beautiful sunny 70's day.  We are expecting rain tonight & tomorrow, but it will be great for our newly planted things.

Other than church tomorrow & lunch out, we have no plans going on.  I am so glad to be able to just take it easy.

Right now I am very tired, mentally & physically.  Lunch was corn on the cob & BLT's.  DH is grilling steak's for supper.

Hugs to all of you.

Valued Contributor

Hello All,

Haven't been on in awhile, hope everyone is doing o.k. 

Hard to believe it is almost June.  I ordered the one thing my husband requested for Father's Day (online) and the order got botched.   I immediately called customer support and was told "all sales final"....the quantity went in wrong and not to my advantage.  I ultimately had to challenge the charge through my credit card company.   Kind of wierd though because I have never really had a bad online order experience til today. 

Not much else going on here.   I walk my dog every am and finally got sick of the liter about a block from my home that I decided to get out there and do a clean up.   It looks tons better and I actually collect one large contractor's size garbage sack full.   When my husband handed me the bag, I thought...oh, that may be too big...well it was'nt.  I don't think people are really that bad with liter but when the dumpster gets dumped down the street, som of it flies out etc. 

It will be a quiet weekend here.  Just some reading and relaxing etc.   Have a good one,  Gayle

Esteemed Contributor

meallen--Thank you for the very appropriate graphic for the holiday weeknd.

Bernie--Controlled natural workscfor me when it comes to shrubbery.  Good job on trimming the bushes. I'm sure Max visits you in spirit or in your thoughts.

Linda--I'm glad that you are enjoying the Echo. I know you are a Prime member. I have playlists set up on Prime Music and just ask Alexa to play a certain playlist or a specific artist as in  "Alexa, play Blake Shelton."

Twinny--Good job on getting the plants and shrubbery planted as well as visiting the cemeteries. The BLTs sound great for lunch and the steaks for dinner.

Gayle--Sorry the internet order got messed up. You did a great civic duty by cleaning up that litter. Reading and relaxing is a great way to spend the weeknd.

Sometimes less is more. I had taken some old deck furniture to the donation center with intentions of replacing it, but the more I look at the deck, the better I think it looks with just what I have.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.