Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, MAY 18)

Good morning, shopping friends. It is "beauty day" on the Q so I'll not be tempted today. I'm sure there will be some super sized, etc. deals to tempt people but I'm not one of them today.

I worked every day this week so I was so tired that I went to bed early and slept for 9 hours. I really need to go get groceries but it is so good just sitting here and relaxing.

We all love sales but are they really sales? Does the word "sale" motivate people to buy even if the prices were inflated prior to the sale? This is a great article on the impact of sales including the impact on JC Penny when it made its changes to make the prices more "real."

https://ideas.ted.com/who-doesnt-love-sales-theres-just-one-problem-they-lead-us-to-make-dumb-choice...

Saw this posted on the Q site: 

We're listening!

We’re updating our fulfillment centers to allow us to deliver product faster to you, and some temporary delays may be affecting your order. We appreciate your patience and are truly sorry for any inconvenience along the way.

I'm glad that Linda was able to get a replacement for the hearing aid she lost. These are expensive little things. Mine has a one year loss protection built into the price.

Midnight is not feeling well so I may be taking him to the vet on Monday. We have tried a diet modification for a month but it isn't working; translated, he won't eat it.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, MAY 18)

Good morning ladies, hope all is well.  

Jean - Thank you for starting us today.  I do hope Midnight is feeling better and eating soon.   I know you worry about him.  I am also glad Linda could get a replacement for her hearing aide.  I know they are expensive, but needed.  I should get my hearing checked, I know I spend more time saying "could you please repeat that" than I use to.

DH and I went on a Viking Cruise and got back last Sunday.  We did the trip down the Rhine and it was a wonderful cruise.  Unfortunately, it has taken us a week to get back in the swing of things and get some things done.  Oh as of yesterday, we have a leak in our main water line somewhere in the wall.  The furnace guy saw the leak yesterday when he was checking the air conditioning.  So now we are awaiting the plumber, he hopes to stop in today, depends on his schedule ( this man is very busy, so we are hoping for the best).

I do have some more travel stuff to put away, so I will check in later.

Hope everyone has a great morning.

Honored Contributor

Good Morning @KonaKat   I can feel your concern for Midnight all the way over here in SE Michigan.  Just a thought, a maybe you've tried it already.

If Midnight likes chicken and he needs to eat the specific food for a medical reason and you are going grocery shopping,  Swanson makes a good chicken broth that comes in a can or carton.   It comes in reduced sodium or no soium and I've found it to be a pretty good topping for a fussy dog or cat.

Image result for unsalted swanson chicken broth

I remember Ron Johnson and the standardized pricing.  I liked the guy and found that the standardized pricing was fair.  It didn't slow down my shopping one bit.  I'm such a regular at that site, I received emails from Ron.  I doubt it was really Ron, it was probably somebody who worked for Ron.  He was into communication with the customer and we exchanged emails quite a few times, lol.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Susan @PAlady   the cruise sounds wonderful.  I'm sorry to read that you have a leak in the wall (my worst nightmare).  Thank goodness the A/C guy spotted it.

Esteemed Contributor

Susan--It sounds as if you had a wonderful cruise. I have seen those Viking Cruises advertised. Very tempting!

Bernie--Thank you for the suggestion for Midnight. He has eaten the prescribed dry food for several years with no problems but the wet food is a different matter. He is 16 years old but doesn't act it. 

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Hi everyone - Susan - how nice for you to have gone on such a special trip!!!  Though I'm sorry to hear about the leak.  Hope it gets fixed soon.  Jean, thanks for getting us started today.  I am one of those people who perks up at the mention of a "sale".  I do try to think it through logically, but I tend to salivate just a little, lol.  Bernie - I also remember's Ron's tenure as Penny's CEO.  Not successful from a stock shareholder's point of view.  Yikes.

This has been a busy week, and I apologize for not popping in for a quick "chat".  Mother's Day last weekend was nice.  We all gathered at my mother's house and we ate KFC on paper plates.  Everyone was happy that there was no cooking or cleanup involved.  Wednesday was my DH's 60th birthday.  We did some of the celebrating on Mother's Day, and then my mother took us out for a nice BBQ dinner.  I actually got him a couple of "nice" gifts this year.  He had mentioned wanting a steering wheel cover for his new truck, plus some way to listen to music when he's doing his handyman work.  I bought him a Bose speaker.  I've had one of the little ones for a couple of years now and I love it.  I bought him the next step up.  Hope he likes and uses it.  Then on Thursday my big Bible study group had it's last meeting of the school year.  We dressed up in garden party style and wore hats.  We had a luncheon and it was fun.

I can confess that I have been shopping more than usual this month, though I was exceptionally good prior to that.  The good news is that I also sent back some returns.  I need to tally things up to see how I'm doing compared to my goal this year.

Still doing a lot of gardening around the place.  I planted some of my baby tomato plants (grown from seed) out in the garden yesterday.  They're on the small side so I hope they'll do okay.  I'm also in the middle of going through clothes.  I have a lot of clothes (there is a reason I post here, lol), and I have a lot of clothes in various sizes.  So far I've thrown a couple of items away (faded and stretched out), have a pile of maybe 8 items to donate, and a tub of maybe 15 items that I am seriously considering getting rid of.  I still have many, many clothes to go through.  When your weight fluctuates as mine does, there's a lot to try on to see if they fit.

Okay - I'm being quite chatty.  Need to get some work done.  Waves to all - Charlene

Honored Contributor

@KonaKat   I can certainly appreciate Midnight's point of view.  I've lived with cats that were offered wet and dry food and preferred dry food.  When something comes up in their lives that requires them to change to wet food, it's not pretty.  Woman Happy

I've had people tell me a dog or cat won't starve itself so don't worry.  My answer was always, you don't know my cat (or dog). Heart

Esteemed Contributor

Charlene--It is great that you had a great Mother's Day. Shopping a little more? I think this goes in cycles, and often is based upon need and the season. I am sure that you made great choices. Enjoy your gardening!

Bernie--I think it is true that animals have an instinct to survive but if they have a human in "control," they know how to make the human give them what they want. They are great little manipulators!!

I've been watching "The Act" on Hulu which is based on true crime stories. The first deals with an over protective mother. It is excellent.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Hope 

Midnight starts to eat more and is okay.  I'm sure you were tired after working all week.  I'm happy that I could get a new hearing aid.  Not thrilled at having to pay the deductible, but that is certainly a lot less than a new set.  I have had these hearing aids since the summer of 2017, and I am planning to see about a replacement once my insurance will pay toward them -- every three years.   My audiologist said that there are usually improvements after three years, so it is a good idea to consider replacing them, especially if your hearing has changed.  But, I may delay the purchase depending on my finances.

Glad you had such a nice trip, Susan.  Sorry about the leak -- that would be very upsetting to me,  Hope the repair isn't too expensive.

Hi Bernie.  JCP should probably pay you a commission as a spokesperson.  LOL. I do remember those changes, but I don't shop at JCP often so it didn't affect me much.

What a nice Mother's Day you had, Charlene.  Your DH's birthday gifts sound nice.  

Waves to all of our posters and readers.

I'm going out to dinner with my SIL, nephew and his wife this evening. DD helped me with my hair -- she has all sorts of equipment and expertise.  This hotel has a very nice breakfast, and I used the elliptical machine they have here before DD picked me up.  We went to a few stores -- most notably Home Depot where she picked up a rose plant and some other gardening items and TJ  Maxx where she found a dress and DGD found several tops and a couple of sweaters.

It is warm and muggy here -- very green and many flowers are in bloom.  I am enjoying to change from the desert.  Nice place to visit as they say.  I have seen all of my grands and my son-in-law, but everyone has been pretty busy.

Have a nice evening everyone.

Hugs,

Linda

Honored Contributor

Sounds like you had a fabulous mother's day and your husband received some nice birthday gifts Charlene @cerb