Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, MAR 9)

Good morning, shopping friends. We have sunshine but that is expected to end with the afternoon rains. Some wag posted on Facebook that the time change tomorrow would result in one hour less of rain.

I'm getting ready to make a run to the city to get my nails done as well as some minor shopping in the pet store. I want to see if they carry a recommended brand of treats for cats with dietary challenges.

I did watch part of AM Style and liked the jacket Leah was wearing but something made me remember a khaki colored jacket I had, so I went looking and found it in a closet full of jackets and coats collected over the years. I really need to thin out that closet.  I wanted a neutral colored jacket to take with me on the trip. I think the one I found will work.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Valued Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, MAR 9)

Hello All,

Jean thanks for starting us off.  I can relate to you comment about clothing, I need to thin out more as well.  We recently sold our RV and I keep a small wardrobe full of clothing that I had to move home.  It didn't seem like much, at first, but now it looks as though we may have enough stuff to either donate, or plan a garage sale.

Our weather today is very windy, but warm.  I planned to walk but somehow (LOL) ended up on the computer, drinking another cup of coffee.  We had a busy day yesterday and I find my motivation to walk slowly slipping away.

I hope everyone is doing o.k....have a great weekend.  Gayle

Trusted Contributor

Good morning!  Jean - thanks for the reminder about the time change. I tend to forget.  Good thinking about the khaki colored jacket.  Gayle - sometimes I end up on the computer instead of exercising as well, lol.  Like you and Jean, I also need to thin out my closet.

I continue to be good at not shopping too much.  My non-wantie brain is thinking well.  Kind-of like what Jean said in her post.  I'll see something for sale that I like and think that I want it, but then I'll remind myself that I have something almost just like it, or maybe that it is something I'll almost never wear, or that I would rather use the money for something else, etc.  The only wanties that I've purchased this past month have been a few used books.  That's because I've read several books recently that I really liked, so I purchased the next couple of books in that series, or by that author.  I feel good about those purchases.

In a little bit my DH and I are headed outside to start pruning back our bougainvillea.  Look out long thorny whip-like branches, here we come!  We work until we fill our big green waste can, and then we're done for the week.  It takes us several weeks of doing that to prune those, our lantana, and some other misc. shrubs.  

We're also waiting to hear back from our tax preparer.  Hope that's going well.  Have a nice day everyone!  ~ Charlene

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Morning and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip to the city.  Glad you found a jacket for your trip in your closet.  I did not see the jacket presented, but I already have my fill of jean jackets, including a couple D&Co. ones.  So, I was safe.  I was interested in the pedal pushers -- like the length and the pockets, but then I remembered that others have said that these bag or flare out at the knee.  Another pass for me.  

We are having sunny, but cooler weather today.  The heat came on this morning, and it was only in the 30's when I got up.  Not my type of weather.  We are expecting rain and cool weather next week.  

Hi Gayle.  That must have been an unpleasant surprise finding you had more than you thought in the RV.  Good luck in de-cluttering those items.

One of the ladies in my Caregivers group (her husband is in the same facility as my DH was) decided to move to a senior apartment.  Her house was too large for one, and it made her sad remembering her DH there.  Anyway, she moved before selling her house, and found that her neighborhood prohibits yard sales.  So, she put some things at a consignment shop and will donate the rest.

I need to do my regular Saturday chores (laundry and weekly financial review) today plus, I plan to visit "my" hospice patient.  Hopefully, she will be awake today.  Her caregiver told me that they are good for groceries this week.

In addition to my regular activities, I am trying to go through some papers that I have received from brokers.  Lots of sorting and shredding ahead.  I should not have let these accumulate the way I have, but paper sorting is very low on my "gives me joy" list.  Much prefer cooking, etc.  

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

ETA -- That is great about your "wantie" shopping, Charlene.  I really love  bougainvillea, but I have not tried to grow it.  Sounds like quite a bit of work, but the beauty helps make up for it.

Honored Contributor

Hello Jean @KonaKat   I'm glad that you are having a break in the weather and are able to get your nails done today.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Hey Gayle @Gayle2  It's my experience that any time I care for someone who is going through something, I forget about me.  Treat yourself any way that you can.

Honored Contributor

Charlene @cerb   I hope the taxes work out in your favor. 

Honored Contributor

Hi Linda @LindaLatte   I hope the lady from the Caregivers group does well with the consignment experience.  We're allowed garage/yard sales in my community but I've never tried it.  Probably because I used to work full-time and garage sales here run Thursday-Saturday. 

I'm kind of in a weird spot - a little more than I would like to have around and not enough to justify the aggravation of a garage/yard sale, lol.

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, have fun getting your nails done with a day in the city.   I am getting excited about your trip to Australia.

Linda L, it was cold here on Monday & Tuesday.  Now It's a bit milder with rain that we certainly don't need.  My 2nd cousin and her husband flew to AZ last month and she said that they had 2 days of rain and so much snow that they had to cancel plans to go to the Grand Canyon.  

CERB, I want to say congrats to your ds being able to stay at the VA Univ.  He is certainly wanted there.  It sounds like a full time job getting the yard work done.

Gayle. Why is it that it doesn't look like a lot of clothes until you have to put them in another place?  Since it was a cold day on Monday, our diy job was to fix the rod holding the clothing up.  My DH has more clothes than I do & the rod gave out.  These were our Sunday clothes that are in the closet of my sewing room.  It's a good thing that we were clearing things out because I found our dd"s wedding veil & the long slip  that she wore under her wedding dress.  We gave her the wedding gown a few years ago because she has walk in closets &  we don't.  Now we really have a lot of room in that closet.

Bird Mama, I think that we are sending you a couple of cold days of weather.  We are supposed to be in the 50's in a few days.  

It's been a busy week.  On Tuesday it was still cold outside so I was going to have another productive day by sewing a new shade for my bathroom.  I bought an old fashioned pull shade from St. Vincent's for $3 & pulled off the plastic shade.  I just needed the rod and the hardware on each end.  Then I tried to use my serrated knife to cut off 6" that were too wide.  This used to be an easy job, but I had to go to a lumber yard to get the job done.  That's where my job ended up until next week.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

My timer just went off and it was time to check my blood sugars.  All is well, but since we are going away tonight I did it after lunch instead of after dinner.

Bird Mama. I had my first & last garage sale when we built this house 24 years ago.  It's so much easier for me to keep our clutter under control.

On Thursday we left for the Capitol City to do a little shopping before we went to our dgs's band concert.  Since our dgd will be celebrating her Golden14th birthday on the 14th we bought her a few balloons and took her out for dinner.  The concert was nice and so was dinner outout.

I bought a pair of Bzees Niche silver cloud shoes.  They are step in and go.  I don't do lace up's anymore.  I had a gift card and $20 additional off, so they were free and it paid 1/2 of my dh"s Clark's slippers that were on sale.  That was my only purchase, but my DH bought a nice pair of corduroy pants and a T shirt.  He is the one that needs to declutter his closet.  

We stayed overnight and since it is basketball mania around here, we got to see a small nearby town on TV yesterday morning.  They won yesterday.  We just got done watching them win the Gold trophy this morning.

Our local girls are very good also. We saw them win on TV last night.  They will be trying to win the Gold trophy tonight, but we will have to miss the game because we are going to see our HS musical Bye Bye Birdie.

It's ☔☔☔ & a gloomy day.  I am looking forward to some 🌞🌞🌞 & 50's in a couple of days.  It's almost moped weather.