Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME(SATURDAY, MAR 31)

Hi Marijane @Genny1

We are looking at rain and a wind advisory today.

It should be dry tomorrow and we will be lucky if we hit 40 degrees.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

Bernie when I was in grammar school we were given" Lent boxes" I can still see them,small white cardboard boxes that were flat and you had to assemble them... of course when you had so many pennies,dines in them they would start to fall apart..

they always had  some sort of Holy Scripture on it....you were supposed to put your pennies/ or coins in it during lent and then all the coins were changed into bills and given back to the school..this money went to the Missions ( somewhere).  BUt the thing was if you had collected x amount you received a token gift and the more you had the better the gift was.....I always wound up with a pair of plastic glow in the dark Rosary beads, I think one year I had enough money to receive a statue (small) I forget of who.   Memories!

That's a wonderful event your family does every year Charlene.    Have a great day with your daughter.

Trusted Contributor

Oops!!  As I  was washing the floor a thought came into my head...they were called " Mite boxes" not Lent boxes.....I thought it didn't sound right when I wrote....had to ask DH about it since he went to the same school as I did....he was a grade ahead..but our school had boys/ girls separated.     I have no idea what Mite means or stands for....I don't think I ever did nor did anyone else.

Honored Contributor

Hi ladies,

https://i0.wp.com/www.happyeaster2018.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/12.jpg?resize=780%2C480&ssl=1

Honored Contributor

Happy Easter to you as well @meallen616

Image result for happy easter

Esteemed Contributor

Okay, I did not have one as child, but I thought I remembered something about mite.  The word "mite" that i remembered was Biblical story about the widow who gave very small coin(s) .The coin she gave was called a "mite".  Anyway, according to Wikipedia, "mite boxes" --

A poor box, alms box, offertory box, or mite box is a box that is used to collect coins for charitable purposes. They can be found in most churches built before the 19th century and were the main source of funds for poor relief before societies decided to organize the process and make the public authorities responsible for this.

Contemporary mite boxes are usually made of cardboard and given out to church congregations during the Lenten  season. The mite boxes are collected by the church, and the donations are given to the poor. Mite boxes are popular with children because they can fill them with small change, teaching them the principle of giving to the poor. The Mite box giving promotes the spirit of contributing based on the intent to help others and not on the monetary amount.

Yes, I know that I spend too much time looking into things, but.....

That is very kind of your family, Charlene.  I was surprised when I attended my grandson(s) graduations, and several kids got small scholarships.  What a wonderful thing to do.

Trusted Contributor

THat's it Linda!!!!!!! Thank you!  WE filled up one every year from K--8 grade in our school. I am wondering if they still do that....I will have to remember to ask my grandson....he's goes to a Catholic grammar school.....he may look at me as if I'm nuts!   

Esteemed Contributor

Charlene--That is so thoughtfull of your family to provide a scholarship. It is so correct that every little bit helps and I know the recipient appreciates it very much. I hope you find a shady part for the second day of the horse competition.

Marijane--You were fortunate to experience the wax museum after it closed. We started on the top level and slowly worked our way down until we decided we had to leave. It was full of people, and hard to move without having to dodge someone. They were taking pictures and didn't look to see who might be in their path. There were some I would liked to have had pictures of or posed with but it was impossible but managed about three.  We couldn't even get close to the display of the presidents. The Alfred HItchcock and the Bates Motel display looked interesting but we couldn't get close to it because of the crowds.

meallen--Thank you for the lovely graphic!

Bernie--A lovely graphic also!! Thank you!

Linda--You spared me the time of looking up the information on mite boxes. My middle name is "research" so we have something in common. Smiley Happy

I have very little food in the house, so I went to the local pizza place for a carryout. I also picked up several prescription refills. Other than finishing a book on my Kindle, that is my exciting day.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

@Genny1  Also when I was a kid, personally we filled out something the most of us called lenten banks.  Ma did one as did each of my sisters and me.  Dad wasn't Catholic so he was excused, lol.

Image result for lenten bank folder

When I was little, the daily donation was 10 cents.  I guess it went from Ash Wednesday to Holy Saturday, that was a long time ago.  We didn't get big allowances in my house when we were that small so it was a sacrifice to come up with the dimes for the bank, lol.

As time went on, the Church switched over from dime a day lenten banks to 25 cents a day lenten banks.  Gahhhh - that was hard as my father didn't increase allowance for inflation, ahahahah.