Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, MAR 2)

Good morning, shopping friends. I have a headache, muscle aches and the weather is changing to a miserable predicted snow. I ddn't get much sleep last night because of the muscle aches and a spasm that caused my foot to  drawn up toward my leg. I got up and worked it out. Afterwards, I was able to go to sleep.

I saw a thread that talked about why the individuals shopped B & M stores. Why do I like shopping online? When tired and having a splitting headache, or even just tired, I have no desire to drive one way an hour and a half to shop only to find that what I like is not in my size.

My favorite one is finding a great outfit once in JCP which consisted of a top and bottom. When I got back to the dressing room, I discovered that someone had made their perfect size by taking a bigger size bottom and matching it to the smaller top. I had only looked at the size tag in the top when taking it back.

People talk about great sales and sometimes that is true, but often things in my size are sold out before the sales begins. All that are left are triple zeros or similar size or 4 to 5X or colors that no one wants. Shopping online gives me the ability to know that my desired size is in stock. Shipping costs? Well, it cost money to run a car three hours round trip only to not find what I want. Add in the cost of lunch if I decide to eat. 

I guess this weekend will be spent discovering items that can go. Take one step in the right direction:

https://www.becomingminimalist.com/start-small-start-somewhere/

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, MAR 2)

Hello Ladies, sorry you are not feeling well Jean, I hope as the day goes on you feel better..I know the weather isn't helping.   Woke up to the 3rd day in a row of snow , today  ..was the most about 5 inches.  it has stopped now and I am waiting for the guys to come and plow my driveway.  we are expecting " the biggest snow of the season" Sunday night into Monday....they are discussing no school for Monday.

I'm back in business with my hot water...new tank was installed yesterday. I did order one item yesterday in BBS...it was the one day only Or Paz spinner ring with amethyst stones....I have a plain one all silver that I bought years ago.    that's about all,hope these guys come soon as I want to run to the store and buy a whole chicken to make soup either today or tomorrow.   Have a nice day everyone......Marijane

Esteemed Contributor

Marijane--Preparing for possibly the biggest snow of the season? I think it is rumored to go by our way also. If I recall, the "Snow of the Century" was in March 1993. I'm glad you got the hot water heater replaced. Those have a habit of going out at t he worst times. Enjoy the Spinner Ring!  The planned soup sounds good for a nippy day.

I didn't watch AM Style today but watched a movie on TCM. I really react to weather changes so I can't wait until Spring and Summer when things are more uniform. 

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Jean I forgot to mention that  I had that tomato basil soup from Progressio yesterday, I doctored it up a bit ,first time I had that brand and it was pretty good.

Esteemed Contributor

Marijane--I haven't tried the tomato basil soup but all flavors I have tried so far have been excellent in the Progresso Light and other versions. I'm  happy that I was turned on to this brand.

I don't need the D&C swim dress. I have a similar one I ordered last year just in case I would need one....and it went unused.

I had a $20 off coupon for use at One Hanes Place. The Bali bras were on sale with free shipping, so I am now 'bra'd" up for several months. I never find the right type of bra in the store so I order from  OHP at a good price.

Honored Contributor

Jean @KonaKat   I'm sorry you had a rough night.  Charley horses amaze me.  I've always been amazed at my body's ability to literally twist my toes or leg into a position that I could never will myself into.  Any time I get one I have to get up and really walk it out for a few minutes.  If I try to rush it, when I lay back down it comes back with a vengeance.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Marijane @Genny1   Weren't you stunned at the price of water heaters?  I know when mine peetered out and I went to check out water heaters I couldn't believe how much they were charging for them.  Add to that the cost of professional installation.  And of course, the ordinance or code for the piping changed since the last time so there was replacement of some couplings.  It's a racket - I'm pretty sure there was nothing wrong with the last set of specs - they change the specs so plumbers can make money.

When I was a kid I helped my dad replace our water heater.  We didn't have inspections and stuff.  In my house I didn't want to risk it so I took the 'legal' approach with permits and inspections.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Sorry you had a rough night and aren't feeling that great.  Hope you don't get too much snow and cold weather.  

It is sunny here, and it should make it up in the 70's -- my kind of weather.  Unfortunately, my cold/allergies are still with me today.  I mostly have a runny nose (very runny) and some sneezing, but it is not fun.

The OLLI happy hour was good, and I enjoyed conversations with a new OLLI member in addition to some I have known for several years.

I plan to do my usual Saturday chores -- laundry and weekly financial review in addition to my hospice visit.  Really hope that goes well.

Glad you have your new hot water heater, Marijane.  Hope you enjoy the ring and can get out to the grocery store.

Hi Bernie,  I was pretty surprised when my plumber told me about the increase in price of hot water heaters when my relatively new one broke last Fall.  I was certainly glad it could be repaired rather than needing to be replaced.  Like your Dad, mine used to put things in himself rather than call a plumber. 

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda 

Honored Contributor

Online shopping for me started as catalogue shopping through JCP.  Finding out that JCP offered affordable clothing for tall girls/ladies was almost the equivalent of having an epiphany Woman Very Happy

Back then (1980/1981) there was a small shop in a local mall that sold tall ladies clothing and they had no problem asking $50 for a pair of dress slacks.  Remember this was 1980/1981.  I was a file clerk and couldn't afford that.  Plus the pants were way too long for me.  Inseams were 36, 37 inches.  I needed 34 or 33 if I was wearing flats.  I never wore flats to work, rofl.  Okay, maybe on casual Friday.

It's 2019 and there still aren't many stores that sell tall ladies clothing in the actual store.  I was happy for all of my petite sisters when I started seeing petite departments cropping up in JCP, Sears, Hudsons (which turned into Marshall Fields and then Macy's).

If I see something online that appeals to me but I can't quite gauge what the fabric feels like, I might head to the store and check the item out in regular sizes just to get a feel for it.

I've always had good luck with shoes too.  JCP used to carry the 9 to 5 collection, which morphed into the East Fifth collection of work shoes like low, mid and high heeled pumps.

Everyone seems to be selling synthetic shoes so I seem to do well with DSW, 6pm, Shoes (dot com).  I pay close attention to reviews when it comes to shoes.

If stores had what I needed onsite I would be more than happy to shop in the store.

Esteemed Contributor

I really don't think I am going to pay over $90 for a blouse on clearance. Perhaps the original price is why it is on clerance. It may be of the finest material but to just look at it, it didn't look like a $90+  blouse.

Linda--Your weather sounds great to me. I am sorry that your cold or allergy is still with you. I hope the hospice visit goes well.

Bernie--Being tall as well as in being short or other sizing outside the norm makes it difficult to shop. Living where all the clothing stores have gon out of business necessitates either driving horrible long distances to shop or shopping online. You are fortunate to have the best of both worlds. My local "clothing store" is the Dollar Store now but at one time we had several including one that was strictly a women's fashion store with name brands.

I've rounded up a few things for donation, and have nuked leftover pizza for lunch. I think it is time for a break.