Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, MAR 17)

[ Edited ]

@KonaKat God knows that I am not a math whiz, however according to Turbotax, when we all file for tax year 2018, the personal exemption amount will be greater.  Hopefully that means more in your pocket at least from the federal level.

I've owed a few bucks to the City of Detroit when I was a resident and as a non resident.  I've owed the State of Michigan before too.  If I owed the Feds, I would likely get palpitations.  Govt scares me.  

As I was filling out my pension paperwork, I made sure I told them take the federal and state tax out according the whatever the standard is.  I didn't specify a specific percentage for either because I feared I'd get it wrong and owe the Feds.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bernie--I havesome income on which taxes are not taken out so I file estimated taxes on what I think the total of all might be at the end of the year. This income can fluctuate so it is difficult to predict what estimated taxes should be paid.

I love taxes. I remember the year I got a salary increase which bumped me up into the very low end of the next tax bracket; my net on the salaried check was less than before the increase in salary because of the tax bite.

I have a friend who claims her grandchildren but it is doubtful that she can verify they stay with her over 50% of the time or she provides over 50% of their support. The kids mother gets a check for their support and the  father and ex  pays some child support. Both are what we call Welfare dependent and both live on property of the friend. The friend has quit keeping records so time will tell.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

@KonaKat  I know someone at work who admitted that after she adopted her kid, money was tight and she falsified a couple more dependents and got popped by the IRS.  

My jaw just dropped  Woman Surprised

I couldn't believe she told me the story.  I think they took money back from her paycheck.  She did say that the IRS fixed her W4 permanently and she is not allowed to change it.  

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry about your unexpected tax bill, Jean.  Due to DH's investments (they will not take taxes out), we always have to pay estimated Federal tax. and it is quite a bit.  So far, that has not been necessary with the State, but who knows.  We usually have to pay the State, just not enough to trigger the need to pay estimated taxes.

I can't imagine fooling around with my W-4 like that, Bernie.  But, my ex's current wife owed quite a bit of Federal tax money (penalties, etc.) when they married.  While I am not a vengeful person, that made me laugh a little when he was resentful about paying the bill.  I had always been the financially responsible one in our marriage, but I guess he is the one in his current marriage.. 

Trusted Contributor

Hi everybody and HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!!!  Today is the day we are celebrating Finnegan's first birthday.  Since he was born around this time of year and I gave him an Irish name, I designated this the official day.  I even made a special collar/ruff for a photo op.  He loved it, I'm sure (wink wink).

I do get annoyed, to put it mildly, about the folks who cheat on their taxes.  It just shifts the burden on to the rest of us.  Bah humbug.  My DH has the deductions high from his regular paycheck to cover the taxes that don't get withheld from his side business doing maintenance work.  We usually get $500-$1,000 back.  This year we are getting $2,000 back.  That's because of the period when his unfortunate co-worker got whacked out on meth, my DH had to put in way more hours at the regular job, and worked fewer hours at the side job.  When you have a home-based business, there's a lot more fluctuation like that.  Anyway, I'm happy about the bigger return this year.

Weather very spring-like here.  It can be cool and blustery one hour, sunny and mild the next.

Wishing you all the best of days!  ~  Charlene

Honored Contributor

@cerb  Believe me Charlene, she got nailed.

My whole thing is now, for the rest of her days on earth, the IRS is going to have her flagged and will be giving her the side eye.

I am way to paranoid and spent 12 years in Catholic school, lol, to try to run a game on the IRS.

Honored Contributor

Happy Birthday to Finnegan

Image result for st paddy's day birthday cat

Esteemed Contributor

Charlene--Happy Birthday to Finnegan I can just imagine how happy he was with his appropriate attire. People try to pull all kinds of things with taxes thinking they won't be caught. All it takes is some unusual deviation from the norm to flag a return for further investigation.

Bernie--Such a cute graphic.

I decided to cancel the TSV, as much as I liked it. I haven't been overwhelmed by the TSVs lately but this was a good one. Midnight just barfed. I guess something he ate disagreed with him.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.