Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, JULY 6)

[ Edited ]

morning, shopping friends. I hope it is as sunny in your area as it is here; the sunshine so rare lately is very welcomed. Of course, the forecast calls for storms later so I'll be enjoying the sunshine while I can.

I'm watching AM Style and it is so good to see Leah back. Right now, th ey are presenting the TSV but I'm not purchasing.  Instead, since it is free shipping day and because I love the most recent set of QF tops, I ordered another set of two. I wore one of them to my appointment in Columbus yesterday. It fit well and was so comfy for the total of six hours on the road, the appointment and then the required dining at the Cheesecake Factory. We don't have a CF in our state so it is a required part of any trip to Columbus.

I could do many things today but I think it will be a day of relaxation after the trip. I do hope each of you are enjoying your July 4 weekend. Before we realize it, Labor Day weekend will soon be here but looming ahead will be school the first full week of August. I'll still be subbing but not likely that early.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, JULY 6)

Good Morning Jean @KonaKat   I'm glad your trip went well yesterday and that you were able to lunch at the Cheesecake Factory.  

I was very happy to see Leah on AM Style this morning Woman Happy

How's Midnight doing? 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--Midnight is resting on the floor near my chair. He looks good but he isn't eating as well as  he once did. It isn't AM Style unless Leah is hosting it.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Jean @KonaKat   If Midnight allows it without biting you (lol) give him a kiss from crazy Auntie Bernie in Michigan.  

I refused to watch AM Style the past 2 weekends.  Should there ever been a change of guard on Saturday's AM Style, count me out.  I'm too conditioned to starting my Saturday mornings with Leah.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bernie--Midnight has departed for a sunny spot but I will tell him that you sent greetings.

It will bei n the low 90s today. Hopefully, the heat and sunshine this weekend will get the washed deck ready for painting. I've been on Amazon looking for possible new deck furniture.

I don't need another Lug bag or a Kipling bag. I used that big Kipling bag when I went to Australia. It organized well, so I used it yesterday. I see it is on clearance now. Super great buy! A293707/ It worked better than the Lug I had. I have it in black and in bran; don't need more.

Trusted Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, JULY 6)l is we

Good morning ladies, hope all is well.

Jean - Thank you for starting us today.  I do hope Midnight feels better soon.  It is hard to see them not feeling well.  Glad you had a good trip to Cheesecake Factory.  We have one at Ross Park mall in Pittsburgh, I stop there occassionally when I shop at the mall.  We are having some sunshine today, my garden looks terrible.  We have had so much rain that if you step in the garden you sink a foot in the mud.  I have a feeling this will not be a good year for a garden

Bernie -  Hope the weather up your way is good today.  How did the birds do during the Fourth?  Do you get alot of fireworks around you?

Not much happening today, I do some cleaning to get done.  DH's family reuion is tomorrow so we have to go out later and pickup a few things.  Hope everyone has a great morning.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Susan @PAlady   there was a time when 'lesser' fireworks were allowed in the State of Michigan.  Of course, you had the diehards who would cross the border to Ohio, buy the more powerful fireworks and then bring 'em over the border.

The former governor decided in 2012 to open up the fireworks law here in Michigan.  There were 20 days scattered throughout the year when people could shoot off the fireworks.  I can't remember the holidays now other than it was day before, day of and day after.

Residents have been riled up for a long time and were threatening to petition people to get a vote on the ballot for fireworks.  At the end of 2018, right before the governor left (term limits) a new law was passed.

Here's the new schedule: 

However, the bill states that local governments cannot regulate consumer fireworks on the following dates:

• Dec. 31 until 1 a.m. on Jan. 1

• The Saturday and Sunday immediately preceding Memorial Day until 11:45 p.m. on each of those days.

• June 29 to July 4 until 11:45 p.m. on each of those days.

• July 5, if that date is a Friday or Saturday, until 11:45 p.m.

• The Saturday and Sunday immediately preceding Labor Day until 11:45 p.m. on each of those days.

It's not that residents don't appreciate the need to celebrate.  Statistically there have been more injuries and fires since the law was passed in 2012.

I don't know all of the details yet, there is much investigation to go.  In my county there was a standoff between police and a resident who, on July 4th, shot at and injured two people who live either across the street from him or down the street from him because of the noise from the fireworks.

The two people he shot will live, one was a child who got shot in the leg.

He barricaded himself in this house.  Law enforcement tried to smoke him out, tear gas him out, flood him out and drove a tank into the front of the house he lived in.  They sent in robots - he shot 'em.

He shot his girlfriend and himself this morning.  Clearly some mental illness here.

We have got to be able to find a happy medium with these fireworks.  I don't know if the guy couldn't take the incessant noise since June 29th or what.  Tragic all the way around.

My birds were fine.  I am lucky they are confident in my ability to protect them.  Even though the windows were closed and they could still hear the loud pops and screaming rockets, they were like - no biggie, mama won't let anything get us.

I feel bad for the wildlife outside.  It's been rough for 6 days, sigh.  I can only imagine what the pigeons in the coop a few houses down went through with all that noise.  It's legal here to keep pigeons and the new neighbor takes great care of his pigeons.  Sometimes, when he lets them out to fly and exercise and they fly over here to visit, I can tell tell they are immaculately clean and healthy looking.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  I like Leah on AM Style very much, but I don't get to see much of AM Style this time of the year since we are three hours behind "Q" time when you have daylight savings time.  I was trying to remember who did AM Style before Leah -- was it Jane or maybe Lisa?  I don't think anyone does it better. 

Very happy you have sunshine.  Good idea to take advantage of free shipping day.  I keep looking, but so far I have not ordered anything.  Good chance that at least one thing on my wishlist will be ordered later today.  Glad you enjoyed the Cheesecake Factory visit.  I don't know where the nearest one is to my area.  I used to go there when I lived in Maryland, but I'm not a big cheesecake fan, which didn't make it a favorite for me.  Hope Midnight eats better soon.

Hi Susan -- sorry your garden is not doing well since you have had so much rain.  Living in the desert, that has not been a problem.  Hope you enjoy your DH's family reunion.  

That is some story about the fireworks -- tragic to say the least.  Glad your birds were not too bothered and knew Mom had their backs.

Nothing exciting going on here.  It wasn't too hot on my walk, but I would have preferred slightly cooler weather.  No rain is expected today or for the next several days, but we will probably have some clouds which help with the heat.  I went swimming yesterday afternoon, and it was great.  Depending on how my day goes, I may go swimming again today.  My hospice patient's caregiver has not called, so I have another free day.  I hope that I will be able to visit next Saturday.

Hope Charlene and family didn't have any problems with the second earthquake.  I would be pretty nervous if I lived anywhere near the quake.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.

Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Susan--I agree with you that all this rain will not be good for the crops. There is such a thing as root rot. I read of farmers in Ohio that are not planting their usual crops because of the continued rain and poor planting conditions. Right now, we have sun but it is getting overcast. We have an alert for a severe stodrm with a huge amount of rain potential in a short period of time. Because the grounds are already soaked, the potential for flash floods exist in many places.

Bernie--Our state legalized the sale of fireworks a couple of years ago. Before that, people went across the border into Ohio to get them. It was announced on the news that only one-third of the projected revenue from the sale of fireworks was being realized.

Linda--I like cheesecake but for me it is the fabulous menu of entrees that makes the Cheesecake Factory so enticing me to me. I am still eating the fabulous entree I had yesterday--the cajun jambalaya pasta with shrimp and chicken. We just have routine chain restaurants in our state so going to a Cheesecake Factory is a must whenever we are in an area that has one. I definitely understand why oiur Daylight Savings Time would make it more of a challenge to get up early enough to see it.

I think Alberti could almost sell me anything. Resistance is not futile.

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, I am so sorry to hear that Midnight passed.  Hugs coming your way for being by his side every step of the way.  

Bird Mama, what a sad situation in your town.  I think that we are only allowed sparklers &  nothing that goes up in the air & only on July 4th.  But of course our neighbors don't know the law.  They had some beautiful displays going on all around us.

Susan, my only garden is 6 tomato 🍅🍅🍅 plants.  They are doing great.  Now if I can keep the bunnies & squirrels away from them.

I enjoyed a little bit of Leah this morning before fixing breakfast.

Our guests are enjoying the square & then off for lunch.  Our ds wants a grilled cheese sandwich and cooked tomatoes.  His go to for many years.a

We are soon heading out for the graduation party.