Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, JULY 28)

Good Morning Ladies!  We had a thunderstorm yesterday evening, lots of lightening, etc.  It is humid today, with a 40 percent chance of showers.  I think it did make it to the 100's yesterday, but they are predicting high 90's for today.  It was pretty nice on my walk this morning.

DD was texting me yesterday evening -- she (and I guess my SIL) needed to pick Army DGS up at the base afte hr three weeks of Reserves in California.  Everything ran late, and they didn't get to bed until 3:00 a.m.  He was supposed to go back to Reserves this morning, but I think he planned to sleep a bit later.  Hope he doesn't get into trouble of any sort.  He spent Thursday night in the airport, so who knows if he got much sleep.

I have started my laundry and will be doing my weekly financial review this evening.  Plan to visit DH this morning, and I am meeting my friend (widower) suffering from depression at a bakery this afternoon.  Thanks for your suggestions.  I also asked DD since my SIL has suffered from depression for years.  

By the time I got up, AM Style was around 2/3's over, and I did not stay to watch the show since I wanted to get out for my walk.  There is another AM Style on Q2, and I have seen a little of that show.  Fortunately, nothing is calling my name too loudly.  I have to admit that Jean's Kipling purchase stirred up my wanty.  Fortunately, I have been concentrating on my table/chairs purchase, so I think I'm safe at least until next week when we start a new month.  

I think I have located someone to put together my table for a reasonable cost (found on-line).  He used to put together office furniture for Staples, so I think he has relevant experience despite being fairly new to this area.  I went ahead and ordered the table yesterday evening (Amazon).  Fingers crossed this works out.

I am praying for the firefighters in CA and elsewhere, Charlene.  What awful fires the country is having.

Thanks for all your kind comments about my care for DH.  I know that I am very lucky that he still recognizes me and that is a big motivator.  It is very difficult to visit someone who hasn't a clue that you are there or that you have a relationship.   Some of my caregiver group friends have lots of difficulty spending time with their loved ones for this reason.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, JULY 28)

Linda--Thank you for starting the thread. It is good that you got some needed rain. Also good is that you found someone to put together the table once you receive it from Amazon.  I doubt that DGS got much sleep if he spent the night in the airport. 

I saw a few minutes of AM Style but I didn't feel that well at that time and went back to bed. I feel much better now. I think I was just a little sleep deprived.

Lowes has some gas ranges on sale that I like. I may be visiting Lowes before the sales ends on August 8. The free delivery Lowes offers is a big motivator as most places charge $50 to $100 for delivery for places 50+ miles away. 

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Quick check in: the wild fire is 17% contained which is an improvement.  We don't see as big a cloud of smoke like the past couple of days.  We got an urgent call from friends saying that the facility where their horse is boarded was out of hay and water (They did not evacuate).  No electricity means they can't run their well pump.  A local feed store already took a load of hay up to the town, but it's already gone.  So my DH is currently driving his company truck (with permission) up there with a big barrel of water and 5 bales of our own hay to help out.  There are 12 horses at this one facility.  In addition, the water district my DH works for is taking an entire water truck up there to refill the horse facility's tank.  There are so many good people and utility companies helping out, it warms my heart.  Thank you for the prayers!  ~  Charlene

Edited to add - My DH has to drive his company truck up there, because personal vehicles aren't allowed in the area, but water employees are allowed, hence, the need to get permission from the general manager to use the district's truck.  Then the general manager volunteered the use of the water tank.  Cool.

Esteemed Contributor

Charlene--Some improvement with the fire situation is good but it shouldn't  haven't been a problem. It is good, however, that people are willing to help in some way. Prayers, of course, are a big help and something each of us can do.

I've done some window shopping on the Q and at Amazon but have not acted upon it. I call it research for future possible use. My FitBit AltaHR is still doing fine after over a year of use, so I don't need a model such as the TSV which is being phased out.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello all and God Bless the folks who are trying to keep body (human and animal) and soul together during the fires out west.  This applies to residents and all of the kind people who are pitching in.  It's times like this especially when I'm reminded how many good people are in this country of mine Heart

I just got home from my city's annual art/music fair.  They also have activities for the kids, carny games, amusement park rides and various restaurants with food for sale.

I asked my sister if she wanted to go earlier in the week and I think she and I hit it on the best weather day.  Thursday it was overcast, hot and it rained a little bit in the morning.  Yesterday was cooler but we had 2 significant rain episodes.

We took the shuttle that picked up at the school behind my house and when we arrived we checked out the artisan crafted things in tents.  I didn't buy a thing Woman Happy  That's how it goes though - when I take money I see nothing I want.  We checked out the midway and didn't go on any rides because we had just stuffed ourselves on Mexican food.  We did a whole lotta walking and I'm sure if I had a fitness tracker I would have racked up some miles.  I'd say we were on the move for over 4 hours straight.

She bought some fudge and then we grabbed the shuttle and got off about a mile from my house.  We stopped at the ice cream parlor, each of us got a sundae and we sat on the benches outside and watched the world go by as we enjoyed our ice cream. 

We walked the rest of the way to my house, and she headed home.  I can tell you my dogs are barkin'

The weather was beautiful - I took a lightweight Denim & Co jacket with me and didn't have to wear it long.  A short sleeved t shirt was enough.

I'm going to sleep good tonight Woman Very Happy

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

@Bird mamaBernie--Sounds as if you and your sister had a wonderful day. The dogs may be barking but you were preparing to burn off the calories in the sundae. Yes, when you have money handy, it often happens that nothing really calls out to you. Now, I am thinking of ice cream sundaes.

I have never been to this restaurant but it has great reviews on Trip Advisor. It is about 90 minutes from me. It is famous for its huge sundaes designed, of course, for more than one.

pokydot.jpg

Honored Contributor

Holy Moses @KonaKat  that's a huge sundae. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise