Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, JULY 25)

Bernie--My niece is like that.  She works holidays or any day that no one else wants to work because of the extra pay. She had a cardiac cath done on one day and went back to work the next day. I've had much younger people tell me that they don't know how I do it. I can say that there are days when it seems to be a challenge, especially after I had the heart thing done. I was told it would take time to regain my zest. I wouldn't mind working full time as I enjoy work especially working with people but there are days that it is great to have the option to say "no" to work.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Hi girls!

It's another hot, sunny day, but with funds short I won't be going any further than the pool, although I might take the dogs out for a brief ride later tonight when it's cooler - they're probably bored.

Looking at finances, I'm trying to figure ways I can cut back - overbuying perishable food and even frozen foods I forget about and then have to toss is probably my biggest waste. I'm good about not keeping lights on all over the house, and after living first in NYC where you were told to not flush every time because water was low and then in an area of Hawaii where water came from a tank in the yard, I'm also careful about not wasting that. I was robbed of much that was due to me - my grandfather had left me quite a bit of money, but I discovered that a few months after my sister was born my mother transferred every last cent to her; the woman who always swore she'd never play favorites also left everything she had to her. Then I was taken advantage of by the turd my late husband called a son and MY lawyer who got into colllusion with him (may he rot), and lost everything.  BUT...God has been faithful and takes very good care of me; I know He won't drop me now. Cat Very Happy

Last year it was LiindaR, this year it's Jules' turn to be an enabler - she told me about the TSV on Evine, which is an Anushka purse that comes in various designs, including one with cats and birds. I'd love to get it, but after a $400 vet bill it's not possible, and even with their Value Pay, well...my checking balance is $1.98 right now. Cat Frustrated

Anyway, Bird, one of the designs is...birds!  Check it out:  (Picture came out funny - see it better on the site.)

723-037- Anuschka Hand-Painted Leather Organizer Pocket Crossbody Bag
Charlene, you're right about the ingredients to make a good church; I really, really need fellowship, but one thing I will NOT endure is a church that promotes unsound doctrine.  Sadly, so much of what is popular in professing Christian churches today is garbage, much of it outright heretical. Cat Sad

As for phones, I LOVE Virgin Mobile!  No contract is required, the price is very, very reasonable, and I've never been in an area where I didn't have reception - even when I was driving home late at night through the mountains.  Cat Happy

Well, I guess I'll head out and get some sun. I have cherries I bought that I'm going to put out for the birds; they taste awful - there goes yet another favorite fruit that's just not good anymore.  (sigh)

Have a blessed day, everyone!

Esteemed Contributor

Arlene--You naughty girl! I had to look at the cat bag on Evine. I had a feeling the price was out of line with what I would spend on a bag with accents such as that. I'm too conservative, but I would have bought it had it been a faux with similar design at a much lower price. They are lovely bags! Over buying on some grocery items is a problem. One of the things I'm doing is forcing myself to eat some things currently on the shelves or freezer before I buy more from the store. You are right; discarded food represents a financial loss. Oh, I checked out your Virgin Mobile. It won't work in my zip code area as they have no coverage here. It operates off Sprint which has no coverage here.

About once a year, I get my real credit scores from MyFico.com. I indulged today as I hadn't looked at Experian for over a year. My score is in the upper 2 percent.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Hi LindaL - I was so sick of AT&T that I spent over a month looking into other phone options.  More than once I read about Consumer Cellular.  As luck would have it, my sister's flip phone disintegrated one Saturday and I told her, hey, let me call Consumer Cellular, get some information and maybe head over to Sears to pick up our phones.  Best decision I've made in a long time.  My phone was $100 - it's an android kit kat 2 or something like that (lol).  CC also has different phones from flip to the i-phones.

During our divisional meeting, the charity we were supporting presented a video.  Gleaners Food Bank is the oldest food bank in Michigan (maybe regionally too).  96 cents of every dollar goes back to the community.  The video was about childhood hunger and it wasn't of dirty little children without shoes on their feet.  There were little children in school that looked like any kid you may know.  They described the partnerships with school systems and a backpack program where they sent little children home with a weekend's worth of food for the family.  I think this presentation is responsible for my eye clearing up because I started crying the minute the video started.  I had my hand over my mouth so that I would let any related crying sound effects come out.  I was in the second row from the front and when they showed a little girl who said she asks for fruit cups and treats for her little sister who wasn't old enough to be in school to benefit from school breakfast and lunch, I lost it.  The poor spokeswoman from the charity apologized to me when the video was over.  I said, no apology needed.  I rarely carry cash with me and was rifling through my change purse looking for money.  I found a $20 and contributed to the canister at the podium.  My VP matches all the money his division contributes.  Our meeting ended shortly after the Gleaners presentation and a team lead sitting behind me asked, are you going to the courtyard to eat some barbeque?  I looked at her and said, after that video, how could I have an appetite?  She looked at me like I was crazy.  I try to support food banks, the Capuchin monastery, meals on wheels. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Hey Arlene - I think you hit on something with the grocery shopping.  Making a list and planning your shopping (even factoring different stores) for once a week may be boring, but I guarantee you that it will reduce any impulse buys.  Anuschka bags are interesting to look at, but I've never been tempted to buy one of the painted ones.  Is it too hot for your dogs to play catch with a ball or something like that?  I'm trying to save you on gasoline in your car :-)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Jean is the FICO score from all of the credit agencies?  Is it expensive?  The last time I knew what my credit score was, Quicken loans told me during the mortgage re-fi in 2012.

Respected Contributor

It's hot here---saying a chance of rain next week.  After a wet spring it has been hot and dry.

I know that the kids without food at home is a real issue.  There is a ministry that supports this group.  Many are referred by teachers who know the situations.  During school they are sent home with a backpack full of food for the weekend.  I know they have summer programs and know people who work with this ministry.  Makes one appreciate what we take for granted. 

I have been going through trying to identify items to donate to an auction.  I have found a few items---I am certain there are more that may raise a few dollars and be of benefit to others.

Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--If you go to MyFico.com, you will see there are different options for getting the real Fico scores and report. If you want all 3 scores, the easiest and  way is to buy a 3 in 1 which provides all 3 Fico scores and credit  reports. I think this is $59 but you can also buy the single bureau reports and Fico scores. I just bought the Experian as I hadn't seen it for over a year.  You get the report instaneously after paying with a credit card and remains on the MyFico site for a period of time.

LindaR--Kids without much food at home for one reason or another is a real issue. Our school has breakfast and lunch for the students, so that leaves dinner. It is amazing to see how much some of these students can eat, and many students not wanting their food will give it to those still wanting food after they eat theirs. Students will hold up their hands and ask a teacher on duty, "Can you find me a .....?"