Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, JANUARY 11)

Good Morning/Afternoon!  It is sunny, but cool here.  But, it should make it up into the 60's today which is warmer than yesterday.  It was only 30 degrees when I got up this morning.  Difficult for me to leave my nice, warm bed.

This morning, I was very pleased to receive a phone call from a volunteer with a local organization that provides various services, including rides to medical appointments.  I could not get a ride from them the last time I had a vein procedure because they were closed (day after Thanksgiving).  However, this Friday, I will have a ride.  One problem solved already.

I have a "newcomers" meeting this afternoon, and then I plan to visit my hospice patient who is staying in a nursing home while her caregiver is out-of-town.  In addition, I will be doing my usual Saturday chores like laundry and my weekly financial review.  

I noticed that they are having free S&H here today as well as easy pay.  So far, I have not found anything that I really want, much less need.  But, the day is young.  The TSV is certainly not calling my name, but I hope any who order them like them very much.

Waves to all of our posters and readers. Hope everyone is having a nice day, and please post if you have a chance.

Hugs,

Linda

Trusted Contributor

DHRe: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, JANUARY 11)

Hello Ladies.....happy to hear that you can get a ride back and fourth for your vein procedure Linda......one problem solved as you say.  I had to chuckle at your temps...it is 60 degrees here right now.....and I am loving it......maybe winter won't be bad this year... I can only hope.     I have been busy taking down Christmas decos....I didn't put up as much as in other years and no body noticed.......except me!   We just took  down the garland and bows from the fence outside I figured to get it down now That it " warm" out instead of standing in the freezing cold doing it.   My DH has a pile of wreaths,garland to take over to the recycle center come Monday.  Our tree wasn't great this year so we did take that down last week.......I saw today that the town had come around and picked it up yesterday from the curb.

My thoughts and prayers are continued with Charlene and her DH......

Twinny I hope your elbow is feeling better, I have never had a cortisone shot but know tney can be quite painful.

Thats about all from here.....hve a nice day everyone.......Marijane

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, JANUARY 11)

Hi Everyone!

Today is in the 50's and it looks like we're having Spring for 5 days and then return to winter. UGH!!!  Temperature flips like this cause such knee pain in my reconstructed leg. I wondered why I had such pain yesterday when I was during some errands. Here I thought that I was window shopping too much. LOL!!!

My dishwasher sounds like "trouble" to me. Every time I pull out the top rack these tiny ball bearings drop out. That's not good. I already have a stove with a broken oven and I can't even think about a dishwasher. Appliances are great until they break. I just have an issue with the fact that nothing is expected to last past 5 years yet the price is always crazy. Of course, I'm in sticker shock with everything. ha ha!

I did find some great buys at the At Home clearance sale. I needed to replace the hamper in the bathroom. (It's the one I use for kitchen towels, etc.) Our bathrooms are small so I need a tall, skinny hamper. Slightly a challenge for a clearance price. I had moved an old wicker waste basket in there for the interim and was surprised that it looked decent. It gave the illusion of space and I could actually access the drawers. Small things that make a difference. The best was a plastic one that had an open weave and was very budget friendly. I was so tempted by all the sales but I just looked. I kept reminding myself of my budget and the downscaling year of 2020. LOL

My husband has already ordered a tool for cutting odd shapes in flooring for the "big" project this year. We are going to attempt to DIY it. The biggest problem will be the pulling up all that wall to wall down there. The thought of that just makes my head spin. It will be so nice when it's donw. That's my mantra that I tell myself every time we attack the next item on our list of improvements. One of these years it will all be done. ....I hope.

Have a good afternoon/evening.  

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--Thank you for starting the thread. It seems that the plans for your vein procedure are coming together nicely. I received a nice little bonus today for the referral.

Fressa--You are doing great with your organizational efforts. Sometimes, small changes can make an illusion of much more space. Now, if I could catch your motivation.

Maryjane--Isn't this weather great? It is great motivation for getting things done, and you are doing that with taking down and organizing the Christmas decorations.

I just got back from the city where I picked up my new glasses and also had my nails done. We have a wind advisory out and it was beginning to get windy when I left the city. I got home in time to fix a late lunch.

The temperature here is 74 degrees right now. We are expecting a record high to be set today. This definitely is not the norm for January here. I don't miss the cold, snow and ice but I have a feeling we will be paying for it later.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Good morning everyone - Linda, thank you for starting us off.  I don't find myself that tempted by QVC's "flash sales" when it only involves easy pay.  I want real sales, lol!!!  Marijane, it's a nice feeling when all of the Christmas decor is finally put away.  I also put up fewer decorations this year.  To be honest, I've been feeling for a few years that all of the hard work I put into Christmas isn't all that appreciated, so I scaled back.  I don't think my family cared.  Not sure if that makes me feel sad or relieved.  Maybe a bit of both.  Fressa, sorry to hear that your knee is acting up.  Sounds like you've made some thoughtful purchases, though the dishwasher going out is a bummer.  Nothing "fun" about buying a new dishwasher.  Jean, glad to hear that you're having nice weather right now.  Bernie, based on what you wrote yesterday, I must have been lucky in getting gentle doctors through the years.  Most of my exams/mammograms, etc. have been okay.  In fact, all of my mammogram technicians have been women.

We finally got a bit of good news, and I wanted to share it with you right away.  Yesterday my DH picked up the records from his bone scan, and from what we can tell from the report, the cancer hasn't spread.  It stated that he had one anomaly in his L 5 vertebrae. They said it was most likely degenerative damage but they want him to get a CAT scan for that. We already know that he injured his L 5 vertebrae several years ago, so we're not too worried about that.  Any kind of cancer is serious, but prostate cancer is well managed caught early.  So as long as it hasn't spread, things are looking more positive.  Next step - my DD insisted her Dad get the best, so she made an appointment for us on Tuesday at USC. (Long drive.)  Our local appointment is on Wednesday.  Hopefully we can make informed, wise decisions.

This afternoon I am going to a baby shower for my niece.  This is her first and we know it's a boy that they're naming Jack (my father's nickname).  Happy for her and her husband.  

On the original subject of our thread - Shopaholics.  I think that 2019 was just a so-so year for my excessive shopping tendencies.  It wasn't the best year or the worst year.  On the other hand - I took better care of my health, lost a few pounds, and fell in love with my DH all over again.  

Waves to all  ~ Charlene 

Esteemed Contributor

Linda L, I am glad that you are getting a ride there & back from your leg procedure.  Free shipping, handling & easy pay don't entice me to buy unless I need something.  I hope that you have an enjoyable time with your hospice patient.

Marijane, 60's WOW!  I would love to have 60's year round.  It's been mild here until yesterday. We had an ice storm last night.  No power outages thank goodness.  

Jean, I hope that your glasses are winners for you.  It's nice when you can get your nails done on the same trip.  70's must feel wonderful to you.  

fressa, our mild weather ended yesterday.  The ice storm from last night is gone and the sun is out.  It's been trying to snow. The last ice storm that I can remember was on 03/04/75.  Nasty and we did have a power outage for a few days.  The children were young and I can still remember hunkering down all in the same bed.  Good luck with your DIY projects.  I can remember when we lived in our old house. We had one room done at a time.  It was exciting.  We are not DIY, but it was still messy.  Especially getting a complete kitchen done.  Then we built this home 25 years ago.  Nothing had to be done for 17 years.  Then our kitchen flooded while we were on vacation.  Thus, a new kitchen/DR/LR.  Two years ago we had my bathroom replaced to make it more handicapped accessible for me. I am still looking for a new clothes hamper.

Its sunny & trying to snow at the same time.  We might get 3-5" of snow tonight and may be a few more inches by tomorrow night.  My DH put some ice melt on the steps and part of the driveway this morning which really helped get rid of the ice.  

I had to go to my pharmacy this morning to have them scan my new RX card. I have a follow up appointment on Monday with my GP & want to make sure things are in order.  Lunch was at BK.  Supper is steak under the broiler and cauliflower instead of a potato.

My elbow is still very sore, but I am hopeful that it will feel much better tomorrow.  I have been using a heating pad.  My rheumatologist said that I have tendinitis.  I had it in the same elbow about 20 years ago when I was still working.  Then I had it in my big toe a few years ago.  The toe was the worst injection of all.  Last year I had a shot in my shoulder.  I guess that I don't play favorites.  

The hot tub was wonderful today. I couldn't go in yesterday.  I was busy icing my elbow.

My DH is napping like a baby in his recliner.  It still scares me at how quickly he can doze off as soon as I turn the radio on.  

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

CERB, we were posting at the same time.  That's such good news about your DH and also going to a different medical facility. You are all in my prayers.  We have discovered that the little things in our lives are now much more important to us.  We were stuck in a rut with my major medical problems for so many years.  

Esteemed Contributor

Charlene--This is wonderful news about DH; Thanks for updating us. 2020 will be a year of challenges for you and stress but control those things you can control to lessen the stress. This is easier said than done when a loved one is involved in a serious medical diagnosis and treatment. 

Twinny--I am sorry that you are still in pain. I know how much you enjoy snow, so I hope you get the amount you want but still will be able to get out when necessary. You are so correct that we treasure the small things that bring us so much pleasure when confronted with a major illness.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for sharing the news, Charlene.  I really hope the cancer has not spread, and they are able to take care of it.  Good luck with the long trip to USC -- good for your DD.  I think being in the medical field probably makes her more informed on the best options.