Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, JAN. 9)

@LindaLatte

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, sometimes social workers are stupid.  I'll never forget my first appointment with DH's oncologist.  DH walked in and when I walked in the doctor said, is this the trophy wife?  I arched my eyebrow and said, I beg your pardon, what did you just say?  Except I said it like my 80 year old mother, like a mother, just itching to slap you into next week. 

I realize medical professionals do what they do for a living and they have to avoid emotional burnout.  My point is - whatever is going on, they may have seen it umpteen, but I have not!

I don't know how big the Turkish rug is, but I'd try to put it elsewhere since it brings back warm memories. 

Sweetie, you must never apologize for talking about it.  We are here to support you, to learn from your experience and pray for you.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@cerb

Charlene, how's the goat feeling?

I enrolled in 401k a few years after my employer offered it.  May not have been the smartest thing to go fixed income fund but I have not have great gains nor have I experienced any losses.  I contribute 15% of my pay and I suppose I could have more after 20 or so years.  I can tell you one thing, as disciplined as I am with my money, I would have NEVER been able to save the amount in my 401k on my own.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FunkyHulaGirl

Girl, thank you so much for giving a testimony today.  I'm not being a smart aleck or taking jabs at you.  I know what it's like to be at rock bottom and wonder how much more you can bear when God, in His infinite wisdom puts someone in your path, just at the right time. Just watch yourself.  I'm glad he believe in Christ - I just don't want to read about you on the news.  You got a bat or anything?

Edited to add: I see he asked you to dinner and has children that he is responsible for.  Okay, that takes just a touch of danger out of it.  I still hope you have a bat.

Also re: Angelica.  He's got a houseful  of kids and needs to work to feed them.  If he's out of the house all day, she will be just as miserable in his house with no company.  Just a thought :-)

Esteemed Contributor

SNICK'S. I am trying to keep the cold weather here.

CERB, I like to do inside work as I am unable to do anything outsider except hang laundry out.  You do much more than I do with your pets.  We have some stock, but usually pray for the best.

FHG, It sounds like you might have a dependable guy to do some home repairs for you.  Mom does some coloring, but doesn't really enjoy it as her eye sight is so poor.  I laughed the other night when you pointed out that Subaru spelled backwards is Urabus.  We love the Forester by the way.

Esteemed Contributor

Charlene--Hope the quivers from the earthquakes cease soon. I was in L.A. once when a minor one hit somewhere. For a few seconds, I watched my glass of water quiver and start to march across the table. I guess you get used to it and I'm sure my imagination of what might be developing influenced my memory. I don't dabble in stocks or mutual funds. I got burned and didn't pull out in time but they were doing well until that point.

Snicks--I wish you hadn't mentioned snow. The evil four-letter word is in our forecast, but apparently it will be a dusting only thankfully. It is hard to imagine you having a lazy day but with all that you have done lately and have experienced, you are entitled to one.

Arlene--It is good that you went to that bookstore and experienced the delay that resulted in your finding what appears to be a promising repairperson. As Bernie said, be cautious until you know more about him and the quality of the work.

I finished a novel, WEN'd my hair, and then dug out my car title from the safety deposit box. At that point, I also found all the financing info on the car I've had for ten years.  I had not considered making this move until later this year but this unexpected deal is very motivating. It is interesting getting calls from the competition.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Well, I had my nap; now I need to work up the energy to make dinner.  It's a PITA since I don't have hot water, but I have a lot of food in the house that has to be used.

Bird, my Autumn and Honeybun are very protective me of; I don't know if you were with us yet, but they saved me from two guys who were about to attack me in the park a couple of years ago.  Mountain curs in particular (as Honeybun is) are very, very protective of their owners. As for Angelica, I think having kids would be the best thing for her - his would be with her from after school until bedtime. He also has a 32 year old son who I got the feeling would be responsible for her during the day. I just feel badly for her, having to be tied up all the time.  She's depressed and bored, and I get angry and frustrated when she acts out.  I'm praying for the perfect home for her. 

Mark seems to be very knowledgeable about all sorts of things, and I appreciate that he picks up discards from remodeled houses and said he wouldn't charge me for materials - he has air ducts, fence panels, a dishwasher, a hot water heater...  I suspect my biggest issue would be if he mentioned going out again, as there are too many things about him that are on my "strike-out" list, including a bunch of kids, his smoking, his dislike of cats, and - a real biggie - he's prejudiced. But, seeing as I start up with classes again in two weeks, I can always use that as an excuse for being very busy.

Twinny, how's your mileage on the Forrester?  I was behind one on the road in slow traffic the other day; I had thought of it as a second choice if I couldn't find an Outback, but I think I want a larger space in the back.  Both models seem to have excellent reviews; I'd have to look at them up close.

Charlene, I missed your post earlier; we must have posted at around the same time.  I remember an earthquake back when I lived in NYC back in the 80s, which is very, very rare. It woke me one Saturday morning, and I still remember thinking, "Hmmm...an earthquake.  Oh well, Jesus will keep me safe."  then I went back to sleep. They're fairly frequent on the Big Island, where I lived, but that's to be expected with the volcanic activity.  I played the stock market a bit when I worked at Smith Barney. When I did my own selection I always made a profit (well, except for once). When I followed the advice of one of the investment advisors, I lost. 

I guess I'd better start thinking dinner.  Have a peaceful evening, everyone.

Esteemed Contributor

FHG, the mileage on our 2015 Forrester makes us happy as we get 30 mpg in town& 32 mpg highway.  It drives wonderful & is easy for me to get in & out of.  We also liked our KIA Rondo that we traded for the Forrester.  HTH.