Respected Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, JAN. 21)

Hi girls! 

Thanks for the birthday wishes. I had intended to check in yesterday, but got involved with watching the inauguation (I listened to that wonderful speech several times) and the ceremonies that followed.  That was one of the best gifts ever! Cat Wink I loved Melania's suit, but then, she'd look good in a sack! 

I had dinner on my birthday with a friend; a local Italian restaurant gives you a free three-course meal, and we go there every year. The food isn't the best (at least, not to someone who grew up eating good, homemade Italian food), but they have garlic rolls that are to die for - I'd be happy with just them. Afterwards I got my free sub from Firehouse for the next day's dinner. Other than that it was a quiet day.

A friend and former co-worker was telling me he doesn't know how we got anything done when we were working; we're not working now, and I can't get to all the things I want to. Classes have begun again, and I'm back to selling on eBay, so that takes up a lot of time. I had to break down and get a new computer, as the piece-of-junk Acer has been giving me so many problems. I ended up ordering from HSN, since it had six flex pays and I like to pay my credit cards in full every month, unless there's a special no-interest promotion. It was here in two days - quite a change from my last (and I do mean LAST) order from QVC, which took a month before I got it.  Anyway, it's lavender! 

Twinny, how are you enjoying the coloring?  I got a coloring book and a coloring calendar from a cousin for my birthday, along with some other things. I find the coloring helps me both to relax and to focus.  For example, if I'm listening to a Bible study I tend to be up and down, doing different things or checking on stuff, as I get restless; if I color while listening I sit still.

LindaL, how's DH doing? 

Charlene, I'm putting more things in the Cloud - no worries about losing them, especially since computers these days sure don't last.

Thankfully the weather has been warm - 60s-70s. We had about five days of cold weather, so my winter clothing has gotten almost no use; in fact, I'm listing a lot of unworn things on eBay, including lots of boots.  

Remember the feral tuxedo kitten who turned up around Independence Day?  I lured Samantha into the house so she wouldn't get pregnant, and although she'd sit on the bed with me and look for treats every evening, she wouldn't let me touch her.  Well, I did manage to scoop her up and take her to the low-cost clinic, and they did NOT spay Samantha...they neutered Sam! Cat LOL He's becoming more tame and let me pick him up and snuggle him from time to time.

Oh, I finally did get my mortage refinanced, so that saves me a few hundred dollars a month. Cat Very Happy  I also got another car - it needs to have the trunk fixed (the prior owner backed into a pole, so there's a dent) and be detailed, but it's a Hyundai XG350 with heated leather seats and just about every option you could want.  God is good! Cat Very Happy BTW, my insurance adjuster was laughing - he said the woman who stopped short so I'd hit her and who retained a lawyer has had three accidents in the last few years. Also, he told me the "preacher lady" (as she claimed to be) is a phlebotomist, and claims she was working at the time of the accident, so she filed for Worker's Comp...which of course was turned down.  What a scammer!  All she got from my insurance company was the dent in her bumper repaired and a single doctor's visit paid for.

Guess I'd better get my homework done. Hi to everyone - have a blessed day! 

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening, and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  I've been a bit busy today -- community function in the morning, visited DH, and doing laundry and gathering my financial information.  Regarding the IM pants, Jean -- I noticed the ones they are promoting today are more expensive than the ankle length 24/7 pants I have purchased in the past.  Not sure if they are any improvement, but I wear the full-length size that are like regular petite size for me.  

Glad you liked your new jeans, Marijane.  I am eager to receive mine to see if they work for me.  I got the medium wash, but did consider the dark.  

Glad you are having sunshine and warmer than normal weather, Jean.  It rained and was windy last night, which kept me up.  This morning it was cloudy and windy, plus off and on showers, but now it is sunny and windy.  Probably made it to 50 degrees, but feels cooler.  It is great that you like your tracker so well.

I'm sorry your Fitbit did not work without the extra purchase, Charlene.  I was planning to use my computer to "sync", etc., but found you really need to use the phone.  Thank goodness my phone works for that purpose.  I did wonder what a Dongle was.  That unexpected expense/surprise would have turned me off from purchasing more.  

waves to Marijane, meallen, and Bernie (I had sleep issues last night as well -- yuck).  Sorry you aren't getting the snow you would prefer, twinny.  Good to see you posting, Arlene.  Glad you enjoyed your birthday, and have a "new" car and new computer.  Sounds like you are very busy with classes, selling on eBay, etc.   Nice that you got your mortgage re-financed at a lower rate.

DH seemed to be more mobile today, thank goodness.  He was also in good spirits.  I heard a couple of horror stories about other facilities nearby, so I am pretty happy I found his place.  Of course, I also like that it is so close that I can visit him almost every day.

Have a nice evening all of our posters and readers!

Hugs,

Linda

Trusted Contributor

Good afternoon ladies - I've been blinded by the tax job the last two weeks.  I get about a minute out of it and here come more papers that need to be put on quickkbooks.  Holy smoke, will it ever end.

Between that and my DH working on proposals, I can't get a minute on a website I'd like to visit.  

That surely helps my CC.  I've been hunting a new handbag for months.  I haven't seen anything that I'm gaga over.  They are too big, too small, no zipper on top, shoulder strap too long, reviews that don't thrill me........on and on.  Any suggestions ???

Guess I just don't need one, but mine is wearing out and doesn't look great.

We need a new computer, but this time I think I'll take a laptop.  We just can't seem to get a product that works more than a few years.  Ours sounds like it wants to blow up at any minute.

@KonaKat  I have many IM pants, especially the denim.  Have many 24/7 crop-style.  I prefer the other denim style that have the seam down the front, it gives me the best fit.  It just seems we won't see that style anymore.  It makes me sad.  It's about 40 here today and the last 3 days we have had beautiful January weather.  The rest of the month, lousy.  We're expecting 4-8 inches of snow on Monday into Tuesday, why overnight bad weather all the time??  That is the question of the winter season.  Good job on your weight loss, awesome.  I purchased Leslie Sansone CDs last week, that's the only purchase in more than a month - except Christmas gifts and groceries.

@Genny1  I would much rather the rain, we still have snow from Christmas Day.  Quite a bit of it left, expecting more in a day or two.

@Bird mama  I got to bed about 1:30 and woke up at 8:00.  Guess I was rested, not sure yet.  Closets are on my list too.  After the tax nonsense, that will be my next job.

@meallen616  That's the way I like to see snow.

@twinny70  Come on over, take all the snow you want.  No charge!!  You must be excited about your upcoming trip.

@cerb  Your fitbit and Dongle issues had me lost after the first sentence.  I can type, that's about it.  It sure would make me frustrated, too.

@FunkyHulaGirl  Happy belated Birthday!!  You make me laugh, thought yesterday was delightful too.  Free meal, how wonderful.  May I ask what kind of computer you purchased, we're in the market for the home computer.  How do you like it??  I just got my coloring book about a week ago.  It is a dot-to-dot, too.  Good news on the refinance and car.

@LindaLatte  I'm happy that your DH is in a good place, that makes things so much better for both of you.  I've never tried the Quacker jeans, how are they compared to IM?  I would need 29 inch, max.  The only thing about 'sync' that I know about is through my CD player and bluetooth and spotify.  Our youngest just showed me how to do that over Christmas.  I've been trying it out while I color, so I don't forget how to do it.

Nice to see you all here today.  Keep those CCs quarantined (sp).Smiley Wink  Enjoy your Sunday, God bless.

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry 3suwm5, I have never tried the QF jeans.  I have considered them, but..... Jean seems to like hers very much.

Trusted Contributor

Nice to see you posting Arlene...funny story about your cat!  hope your new  computer is a lasting one....happy belated Birthday.   3suwm I had to laugh about getting lost on Charlene's first sentence.....so did I...!  I have never had quacker pants  either...the 24/7 ones are my favorite and 29/30 inseam are just tight for me.   Hope you don't get all that snow...too warm nere..we will be getting the  rain they are saying.

Esteemed Contributor

FHG, it is a fun coloring set.  The pages are only 6" x 7 1/4" so I never get bored with it.  There are 4 double ended pencils & 5 twistable crayons.  They also give examples on how to combine colors etc.  Nice that you were able to eat a birthday lunch with a friend.  I honestly don't know how we did it all while still working FT.  it takes me twice as long now to do 1/2 as much.  I declutter often so that helps too. Good job in getting your house refinanced.  Every little bit helps.

Linda L, we need snow desperately as our local snowmobile trails have been closed for several weeks.  Our one neighbor has 5 snowmobiles & is not a happy camnper.  When DH & I were looking for an assisted living place for mom we went to one place that was just nasty looking.  We were lucky as her place was close for us too.  Certainly a plus when you go often.

It is getting foggy again.  The only good thing is that we are saving $$ on our heating bill.  No changes in weather as there will be no sunshine before next Friday.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

3suwm5, I will take snow any day over rain this time of the year.  Our schools were closed twice this week because of slippery roads. It makes driveways & sidewalks very treacherous.  Our entire lawn has green grass.  Of course we can get a lot of snow in March too.  I just don't want a foot of snow at one time either.  I haven't been able to walk all week as I value my body.  Yes, we are excited about our upcoming trip.  We just like to make the most of my situation.   My BF from HS & her DH are also going, so it will be extra fun.