Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, FEB. 8)

Definitely food for thought, Charlene and Bernie.  I agree that the characterizations for age categories are not always accurate.  My DD who is younger than a "boomer" and older than a Millennial fits pretty well in the reign in the "stuff" category.  She doesn't have many clothes, shoes, or jewelry.  She keeps some things for sentimental reasons, but not a lot.  Not sure about my DGD who is younger than a Millennial as I understand the term.  I am in the old boomer category, and I don't have a lot of "sentimental" items, but way too much stuff.  I am working on it, but...... DH had lots of papers, clothes, books, and odds and ends, but most did not have sentimental value.  I did save some of the letters, papers, and photographs after offering the older things to his children.  I had more trouble with my parent's stuff.

Sorry you have a cold, and I hope your DH doesn't catch it, Charlene.

Just a note on drains.  My house is pretty old (early 1970's_, and I use those sort of plastic things to clear the drains on occasion.  But, one thing my plumber suggested is putting very hot water down the drains rather than using products such as Drano, etc.  And, I usually boil some extra water when I make tea in the mornings (which is most mornings), and pour it down the bathroom drains.  Just thought that I would pass on the tip. 

Honored Contributor

I'll try the hot water thing on the tub Linda @LindaLatte 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

All this talk about generations and age made me think of when I was about to turn 30 in the era when anyone over 30 was "destined for the home" or completely out of sync with what was going on. I practiced saying "30" to myself to get used to it. I was a surprise to my parents who had to endure the depression years. You learned not to waste anything and to use it as long as possible. Family was super important so any "treasures" handed down were to be kept. You would not believe all I have from my parents and grandparents, but primarily from parents. I know that no one else in the family would want it.,  

My father had a bad habit of drinking and gambling for several years. Holidays were miserable because of that. I can remember shopping with him and my mother. She found a reasonably priced steak which she wanted for a change. He reached into the basket, retrieved the steak and said, "We don't need that. Get hamburger." He eventually got  his habits under control, and when he was in the late stage of his pancreatic cancer, he told my mother, "I don't know why you stayed with me."  

I think part of my urge to have nice things and too many nice things stems from being deprived of much when I was young.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Jean @KonaKat   I don't know if this has anything to do with it..... My sister played with baby dolls and I played with Barbie Woman Very Happy  Lord knows we didn't have money so it's not like my Barbie had all of the outfits, toy cars, toy homes etc. 

Sometimes I wonder if I bought into the Barbie ideal.  Always wear heels,  always be color coordinated and for God's sake do not forget your accessories Woman LOL  I remember as a kid if I was wearing jeans and a yellow top, my underpants had to be yellow and so did my socks.  That applied to every color.  Boy did I have a collection of color coordinated tops, underpants and socks.

I think the reality is more that when I started high school, it was like my dad forgot that I was growing out of clothes other than my school uniform.  I'm not kidding.  I was also a tall skinny kid and they didn't have tall kids clothes so his solution for outerwear was to pick a coat two sizes too big so the long sleeves would be long enough.  Woman Embarassed

Honestly if it wasn't for my middle sister who graduated two years before me and went to work right out of high school I wouldn't have had the casual clothes that I had.  I worked summer help between junior and senior year at the company that I eventually retired from and that enabled me to have the money to spay my first dog and buy some clothes so my sister could have a break from clothing me.

He worked at the same company and so did sister.  He made me apply for a job there and I remember when I was told I got hired he wouldn't give me any money for clothes for work.  Short of that summer job at the company he refused to let me work as a teenager.

My sister came through and nearly 40 years later I remember the outfit that I wore on my first day of work.  I had a pair of black pumps and she loaned me a sage green turtleneck sweater and the prettiest green and wine plaid wool blend knife pleated skirt.  You had to work 3 weeks before your first check so I steered clear of my sister at work so her co workers couldn't tell that the outfit she wore on Monday was the one I was wearing on Wednesday.

I know people have commented on multiple posts that I am good to my sister.  She looked out for me and was very good to me during highschool and those first 3 weeks of work especially.

Esteemed Contributor

Your sister really came through for you, Bernie.  Glad you are able to help her now.  I remember my Aunt (Mom's stepsister) telling me how much help my Mom was when she was in high school -- getting her a prom dress, etc.  My Mom was older and working at the time.  

Like your parents, mine went through the Depression, Jean.  It certainly resulted in "saving" all sorts of things -- jars of nails, etc., etc.  My Dad wasn't a drinker or anything, but he didn't make much money.  I remember when I got my first not hand-me-down dress that I actually got to pick out.  Later, my Mom and I would go shopping almost every Saturday.  I figured shopping was "in my blood" as they say.  Not a great excuse for overbuying, but.....

Trusted Contributor

@KonaKat @LindaLatte @Bird mama  - your responses about not always having a lot when growing up make me feel wistful.  I bet that more people's issues about "stuff" arise from their personal upbringing than just being part of an age group.  And I'm glad that you all don't buy into the over-analyzing by generations too.  We are all such unique individuals.  And I'm glad that you and the other ladies on this thread are my friends!

~  Charlene

Honored Contributor

Aww Charlene @cerb I'm glad you're my forum friend too.  I still say some of my problem was her Woman Very Happy

Image result for malibu barbie