Trusted Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, FEB. 6)

Hi everyone - Jean - I'm sorry that you're not feeling well.  Hope you feel better soon and enjoy your sandals once you pick them up.  Snicks - Glad that you enjoyed your granddaughter's play.  There is something wistful when that particular era is coming to a close.  Bernie - I'd be mad about somebody butchering my shrubs too.  I totally understand why you would want them for privacy, being right next to a school.

After cleaning out the goat pens this morning, my DH and I went to a couple of yard sales.  We found out that one of our next door neighbors is going to move later this year. I always get anxious when a house goes up for sale and new neighbors move in.  It only takes one bad resident to ruin one's peace.  Yuck.  Anyway, I was reminded why I rarely go to yard sales anymore.  It's because I always seem to find something I want but don't need.  Today I came home with some books, two teacups, a vase, and an old teapot.  Good grief.  They're nice things at a nice price, but I don't NEED them.  

Wants versus Needs.  I'm afraid the wants won out today.  And earlier this week I bought several Susan Graver tops (A239300, one of my all-time favorite tops) from a clothing liquidator on ebay.  Those I can actually use.  Even so, I've done too much shopping this year.  

I hope that my fellow shopaholics are shopping less than I am.  Waves to all!  ~  Charlene

Honored Contributor

@cerb

Charlene, I wish I was spending less money than you.  I suspect I'm spending far more.  I paid for the lions share of the repairs on my sister's car from an accident, I bought a new washer and now I need this privacy fence stuff.  I had been tempted to treat myself to special for Valentine's Day.  Well, I guess the clay cleaner TSV earlier this week was it, lol lol lol.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

I slept the afternoon away, which is an indication that I was really out of it as I don't normally nap, etc. during the daytime. I hope I can sleep tonight. I just snared a job for Monday, so I need to get back in shape.

I see that my WEN TSV auto delivery has arrived in the city which means that it will be delivered on Monday. Once I get it and the Alegria TSV sandals, I won't be having anything in the delivery hoppoer unless I order. Ooops, I forgot my Amazon subscribe and save which should arrive duirng the coming week also.

Bernie--Amazon carries that privacy fencing that looks like foilage. You might want to check it out. I had considered getting it to hide my HVAC unit but didn't follow through.

I did turn on the Q in time to see Shawn debate the black bag versus the lime green TSV. With the money she likely makes, she probably can purchase both. I could purchase both also but I would be in deep financial doo doo. Perhaps she was just using wise financial buying strategies. 

Right now, I'm watching "Untold Stories of the E.R." I like medical shows.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Sorry you weren't feeling well today, but glad you have a job lined up for Monday.  Hope there are no snow issues when you need to have your procedures done.  We are having warmer weather today, and it certainly feels nice.  

Hope you feel better, Rosa.  At least you got some rest last night.  

Sorry you didn't sleep well, twinny.  I can certainly understand your eating preferences the past few months.  It is difficult to keep everything on track/giving up things you like to eat when you are dealing with serious problems like your Mom's declining health.  Glad you rested while your DH was out to breakfast.  I will be watching at least part of the Superbowl, and I really like football.  But, I know quite a few people who just don't care for the game.

Happy your DGD's play was so good, snicks.  My youngest DGS is a high school senior as well.  

Black ice is certainly dangerous, Marijane.  I hope you were able to get out later in the day.

Enjoy the party tomorrow, Gayle.  I have been using those resistance bands for several years, and I like them.  But, I did not purchase the set you ordered.  Please let us know how you like it.

Hope things work out with the flexible partial/dentist Bernie. What a thing to have happen -- your bushes being cut/butchered by that guy.  The new fencing looks very nice, if a bit pricey.

I like that top very much, Charlene.  The house next door for me is for sale again -- just sold last April.  I'm hoping for the best in terms of neighbors, but so far I haven't had any problems with neighbors here -- knock on wood  That is funny about the yard sales.  DH used to have a problem with resisting yard sales, thrift stores, etc.  He was always buying lots of books, etc.  But, now that he doesn't read, that is not a problem.  I continue to look for a chair for him (as suggested by the hospice nurse), but no luck.  I keep going back to consignment/thrift shops, and I even looked at a furniture store and on-line.  In the meantime, I am working with him with trying to sit on the chair properly.

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, spix, Karen, Barbara, LindaR, pinky ann, and all of our posters and readers.

Nothing exciting going on here.  I took a walk, and then went for a walk with DH.  Laundry is going, and I'll be starting on my financial stuff soon.  

I did not realize that one of the classes I am taking had required reading.  Amazon really came through -- I just ordered the book yesterday, and it came today.  Talk about fast service.  On the other hand, I ordered one of DH's medicines, and it has not arrived yet (was supposed to be here yesterday.)  Thank goodness I had a few pills left.

Hope everyone sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda 

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!

It's a bright, sunny day but I have no plans to go anywhere - couldn't if I wanted to, as my back door is swollen from the rain again and the latch on the deadbolt won't catch.  If I "had" to go somewhere for a quick trip I guess I could leave the dogs behind to guard the house, but Mark is supposed to come by and look at it, and if I don't hear from him by tomorrow, I'll call Victor. 

The lady who hit my car called earlier; she's very nice and wanted to make sure she had my name right - the last name always throws people!  I often get a quzzical look and, "That's your LAST name?" or, "No, not your first  name, your last name..." Cat Happy

Sorry you're not feeling well, Jean; it's nice to stay in bed when you're under the weather, but it would also be nice to have someone to wait on you. I'd like to see that fencing...what's it called? (Not that I can afford it until I get a new HVAC unit, but...)

Gosh Bird, I'd be angry if I lived next to a school (perish the thought!) and someone cut down my privacy shrubbery!  Cat Mad  You don't need kids traipsing through your property.  (I'd go for the barbed wire...) What's a flexible partial?

That's cheap for the paczki, twinny - I paid something like $4.50 for a box of four. They're good, but not as good as the ones we used to get after church every Sunday (and were about 20¢ each). I got the last box of raspberry (my favorite) but ordered more for Tuesday; since they're only available around here once a year I'll freeze them - I don't feel like going through all the work of making them.

Charlene, I haven't been to a yard sale in ages; sounds like you got some good deals.  I've gotten good at avoiding them, unless I happen to see some teddy bears prominently displayed.  Cat Wink

Firefox is driving me nuts - I keep getting a "Firefox not responding," so before I start cussing I'd better go do some cleaning or something.  I'm really getting hooked on the coloring...I love doing it while I listen to on-line radio programs, or watch my few TV shows on my tablet.

Hi to everyone - have a blessed evening!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FunkyHulaGirl

The school is off in the distance so my property more or less is next to the berm on the other side of the small hill by the athletic field.  I have a chain link fence and a locked gate along the back.  What my biggest gripe was, if there was something about the shrubs that the school found offensive, talk to me, I will do what you want.  I paid nearly $300 for a professional to shape and trim the mulberry tree.  Psycho landscaper chopped off a large arm of the tree.  I had the professional tree guy remove limbs so they would not hit any humans or trackers or anything like that.  Personally I think once he got started he went nuts.

A flexible partial is a partial denture that doesn't have any metal.

Most traditional partials look like this with some type of metal

Image result for traditional partials

The flexible partial I want is made without metal.  They are flexible and look more natural and feel better in your mouth

Since this is a fashion forum ........

I like this navy lace skirt
Liz Claiborne®  Lace Skirt - Tall
Respected Contributor

Bird - That looks better than the one with the metal...I still don't know what to do about my missing tooth (it's not really obvious, thank goodness) and can't really make any decisions until the HVAC is repaired.  Did I tell you my dentist forgave the bill for putting the broken tooth?

If I paid that much to have a tree trimmed and someone ruined it, they'd be seeing me in court...

Check out this bakery in Detroit:

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2016/02/04/local-bakery-puts-spin-on-fat-tuesday-with-cheesecake-liquor-...

Honored Contributor

@FunkyHulaGirl

Good grief, I hope those who eat the liquor paczkis are home and not on the road.

Trusted Contributor

Bernie a few yrs ago during one of our hurricanes a tree came crashing down on our Japanese Maple slicing one whole side off...big limbs etc....we thought it was a goner ...landscaper said leave it wasn't sure it would survive ....but it did....it's not as full on one side as the other but looks,good and is growing.  iT's a beautiful tree and the last to lose all it's leaves in the fall....this year going into Nov it still had them while the rest of the trees were bare.  So there is hope for your mulberry.....by the way I don't think I have ever see that tree......will have yo look it up.     Marijane

Honored Contributor

@Genny1

Marijane, I will certainly fight for my shrubs that were assaulted.  One thing working for me is that they are remarkably hardy and will respond to food.

Because all of us that border the school property are basically the wind buffers for the sub division on this side, I make sure that my trees are professionally maintained for health.  By that I mean, I don't worry about them looking perfect or pretty, they are pruned for balance and health of the tree.  I sometimes get hit with 60 MPH winds during storms and my trees are the first line of defense.  I like them to be pruned properly so they develop the correct wood wound and aren't susceptible to any type of fungus.

These people who work for the school aren't considering time of year, where to cut the tree where it is good for the tree and stuff like that.

That's what really makes me angry.