Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, FEB. 15)

Good morning, shopping friends. I've been watching AM Style interspersed with goats. I've never tried that line.

It is in the upper teens right now but sunny which helps to compensate for the cold. I decided not to venture out early for lab work as I'm not fond of the cold. The lab work can wait until another morning. My primary appointment isn't until March so I have time.

I have those Flexibelle cuffed cropped pants that went on clearance last night. It is the one thing I have had from her line that worked well for me. I picked up another pair at the clearance price. It was actually a little lower in the "as is" section but my size was not available.

I have just completed 14 straight days of 60 minutes minimum of exercise and for this week, 72,000 steps. I'm surprised that I have kept it up so long but it is getting addicting.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, FEB. 15)

Exercise -  I'm not one but perhaps you can shed some light on the act of excess exercise.  We had a neighbor (middle aged couple).....who walked and walked the area hour after hour.  Obviously she had a cleaning lady & did have plenty of money.........husband walked alone and wife walked alone.  Over time both had to have hip and knee replacements. To me - it seems like this practice advances joint breakdown and then the pain......surgery & replacement's

Tell me where I'm wrong please.

Esteemed Contributor

@fthunt  I am not an expert but what I am doing is based upon cardiology and orthopedic recommendations. First, the cardiology recommended 60 minutes of exercise a day with it kept within the cardiac training zone. Second, I have a knee and back problem. The ortho recommended the use of a recumbent bike or one of those heavy duty mini cycles. The knee, like the heart, needs exercised. I don't do it all at one time but pace it throughout the day.  Many people will not exercise because of pain but the reality is that if the joint are not exercised then they lose flexibility with more pain. There is an expression which goes something like "use it or lose it." How you use it determines the outcome.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

So glad to hear your exercise is with doctor's knowledge and instructions.  I just shutter when I see people go from no exercise to overboard.  The wife of the couple I referenced "appeared" to lack some common sense.   Husband, retired military man - retired from IRS - and many other positions - seemed more moderate at the routine.

Take care of yourself..........and thanks

Esteemed Contributor

@fthuntExercise has to be gradually built up. What is appropriate for one person may not be for another, and we all have to find what works for us to be able to spend the time necessary to build up exercise time and to maintain exercising.

Thank you for raising the question. There are so many variables affecting knees and hips. Please consider posting at any time.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  As you know, I am not a fan of cold weather, but I do enjoy the sun.  Probably a good idea to postpone the lab work for another day.  Good for you with your exercising.  Glad you were able to get those pants on clearance.  Like you, I have not tried the TSV line.  I think starting with that many bars of soap would be ill-advised.

I think that there is a big difference between excessive exercising and getting regular/moderate exercise fthunt.  It does sound like your neighbor(s) had a problem.  Like Jean, I am certainly not an expert, but I have not heard that walking properly would cause hip and knee problems.  But, you can have pain if your gait is incorrect, etc.  There are times when I think I walk too much, but certainly not hour after hour.  So far, so good with my knees and hips.

My SIL e-mailed that she had a very good interview last week, and is having a second interview with the same company on Monday.  Hopefully, she will get the job -- sounds like a nice assisted living place.  Fortunately, she has several upper level people from her previous job who will give her positive recommendations.

I slept better last night since I didn't need to wear the compression hose to bed.  Today I plan to go to the gym and to the bank (have a rebate check from Rakuten to cash or deposit.)  Normally, I change the rewards into credits here or elsewhere, but I want the cash this time since I am going out for meals three times this week!  Just one of those things that happens once in a blue moon.  I also will do my regular laundry and weekly financial review.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day.

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, it was cold here yesterday, so I really did bundle up for the first time all winter.  Now it's going to be in the 30's for a few days then 40's for a couple of days.  It's a good idea to have your labs done another day.  You have been doing a good job with your exercising and doing it a bit at a time.

fthunt, I am certainly no expert when it comes to exercise, but I started doing a leisurely daily walk at my own speed about 3 years ago.  I am a diabetic so it's important to keep my labs within bounds.  In January of this year my DH and I joined our local senior citizen center.  We both had to have a time of trained orientation on all of the different pieces of equipment.  I have CIDP, so it's important for me to do gentle exercising.  I go on 4 of the many different things for 5 minutes each (20 minutes total).  Years ago I had a recumbent bike and could only do it for 1 minute , 3 times a day.  There are a lot of people that workout like they are nuts & this is at the senior center. I just saw 3 of my different Dr's. & they were all happy with me.  I may never be able to do things at a level higher than 1 & may not be able to do things for more than 5 minutes, but I know my limit.  Fatigue is my biggest problem, so I know the importance of pacing myself in whatever I am doing.

Yesterday we went to the senior center Valentine's Day party & then the gym while we were there.  Then we had a nice dinner at a good restaurant just a few blocks away.

I have no plans for today except reading a good book.

It's time to fix the leftovers from last night.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--It is great that you were able to sleep well last night and also that SIL has a second interview coming up. i agree with you on the TSV. That is a lot of soap to have on hand if not really liked. Of cours, using the QVC pitch, I guess they could be saved for stocking stuffers.

Twinny--It sounds as if youi had a great Valentine's Day. Enjoy everything you can do, especially exercise as you know your limits.  It doesn't become enjoyable if you overextend your limits. With time, and time is important, you may find the need to extend the time or resistance. You are your own best judge of what is right for  you.

Esteemed Contributor

Linda L, it sounds like you have another busy day ahead of.  It's good news about your sil.  The last couple of weeks have been busy with lunch and dinner dates. We had to turn a couple of them down.  We plan to get our tax papers done tonight and then take them to our tax lady next week.  Hopefully we will get a small refund since we no longer work & haven't for many years.

Trusted Contributor

Good afternoon ladies, hope all is well.

Jean - Thank you for starting us today.  Good job on the excersising.  I have used the Beekman soap and I really like it.  I was out in the cold to day at a couple stores, I try to ignore the cold.  I will try to ignore it again when I walk the dog.  Of course we will hope she does not realize her walk will be drastically shortened.  

Linda - Glad to hear your SIL had a good interview and is going back for a second one.  I wish her all the luck.   Enjoy your meals out this week.

Twinny - Congrats at keeping your health good at your own pace.  You know what you need to do and that is all that matters.  Enoy your book today.

Not much happening today.  I do have things to do, but not moving very fast.  We need to take the dog out for her short walk and get some cleaning done here.  I swear there is a secret family living here and they only come out at night.  

Hope everyone has a great afternoon.  Stay warm!