Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, FEB. 13)

Good afternoon, shopping friends. Mother Nature has continued to shed the white stuff along with single digit temperatures.  I've been snug as the bug in the rug as I'm not venturing out. I'm still fighting the bug and the allergy so I'll be venturing back to bed. There isn't much else to do except to read, and I usually do most of that in bed.  Definitely no Valentine's Day plans here, and I cancelled the Monday procedure because of the warning of another storm to hit that day.

I saw that the Q was featuring mostly outdoor stuff today, so there is no temptation to watch that, nor is there anything else on TV. Books rule!!

Have a great weekend. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, FEB. 13)

@KonaKat

Hi Jean, thanks for starting us off today.  Is your eye area improving?  I can understand why you would postpone the procedure - you've had a lot going on this past week.

Short of the snow that fell during some squalls over the past couple of days - we have no precipitation.  It's sunny and breezy and cold.  I didn't sleep well last night - I just couldn't shut my mind down.  I can't stand when that happens. 

I went to Hallmarks for some cards - I had 3 $2 reward coupons on the verge of expiration and didn't want to waste them.  I made a big drop off at the recycling center and grabbed a pizza on the way home.

I went through turbo tax and completed my federal, state and non resident Detroit (this year the state is doing Detroit's tax refunds).  I can see me doing it myself moving forward.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Hi girls!  Looks like a slow day here. It's sunny out but COLD - just in the 30s - thankfully it'll be back up to the 60s later this week. 

I just had brunch a little while ago; I'm thinking maybe I should take the dogs for a ride so they don't get bored.  I don't need a single thing from any stores - I'm set on food, clothing, and everything else...well, I just need to get paint from Lowe's to cover the places where the (#*$ cats tore up the wallpaper; it's mostly solid, and the tears are mostly behind funiture, but the glaring white sections of wall are really obvious to me and bother me when I move chairs and such to vacuum behind them. They have the equipment to match paint perfectly to anything at Lowe's, so that should work well. 

Hope you're feeling better, Jean - good idea to stay at home, snuggled up. 

Bird, I can't believe how expensive cards have gotten!  I don't buy any except at Dollar Tree - I figure they're just going to get tossed anyway.  I suppose if I had someone special to buy them for I'd feel differently, but...

My MBA program starts on Monday; the book for the class just arrived.  Can you believe it - Amazon charges almost $50 just to RENT a book for three months!  The school book store wanted $117 to rent it, and it's hundreds of dollars to buy.  Ridiculous!  Cat Surprised The next class starts in four weeks, so it's just the one for now; the book for that one was about $120 to buy, but I'll get most of that back when I resell it on Amazon.

I guess I should get moving; I'm going to do some baking tonight, as it's a good way to keep warm.  I had been planning to make some Valentine's Day treats for Victor, Mark, and my reclusive neighbor, plus I have some bananas that are at the perfect point of overripeness for banana bars.

Have a blessed day, everyone!

Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--The swelling in the eye area is almost gone. The cold, or whatever, took a nasty badkset, so the treatments for goth hae resulted in me being in la la land half the time.  I do hope you find the perfect card.

Arlene--I don't know  many people who are spending major bucks for cards for people not really special to them. It is the idea that counts. You get so much pleasure from baking for others.

I've been spending a couple of hours up, and then a couple of hours in bed. Right now, I've been up for a couple of hours watching TV, and am now getting very sleepy. I've never had a week like this.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Jean, I hope that you are feeling better soon.  Good thing that you cancelled your appointment for Monday.  We are expecting white stuff tomorrow & again on Tuesday.

Bird Mama, It is sunny, breezy & cold here, but the sunshine makes the house feel good.  Good job with using your Hallmark coupons.  It sounds like you are figuring Turbo tax out too.

FHG, I think that now days it is easy to match most colors.  Have fun working on your MBA program.  Yes books are expensive.  When our DS was in medical school, they were atrocious.  I made banana bread this week too & it is almost all gone.

DH & headed 22 miles to the nearest JCP as I had  $10 coupon.  I found the same nightgown that I bought near Christmas time on sale four $9.54.  Paid cash as I couldn't use the coupon & DH didn't find anything for himself.  

We saw mom & she was good.  We played her favorite game of BLOKUS.  We will take a different one tomorrow as she said to bring a few different ones.

Tomorrow is church, early lunch at our nice Italian restaurant & then to visit mom.  They say snow tonight so we will see how that goes.  Mom has an eye appointment on Tuesday.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Sorry about your weather and not feeling that great, Jean.  You would love our weather -- mid 80's at this point.  DH's DGD thinks it is too hot -- we are certainly not on the same page.  

The four of us went for a short walk this morning (they didn't get up until later than we did, but....)

Then we went to the pool when it was open to children, and DH's daughter, granddaughter and I did quite a bit of swimming.  I really didn't think that I would swim since it has to be pretty warm for me to do so, and it was only 75 degrees or so when we arrived.  But, the water is heated, and the sun was full on the pool.  Most of the time I was swimming, there was only one other person there, so I was able to do my modified laps.  His DGD stayed in there for at least 1 1/2 hours, but I only swam for 45 minutes or so.  That was plenty for me. 

We stopped at home, and then went to lunch at Pizza Hut -- much to my surprise, the food was pretty good, and DH ate his entire "personal pan" pizza as did his DGD.  His DD and I split a pizza, and we did pretty well on it.  

After lunch, we went for a short walk in our little park, and then his DGD was feeling tired so we came home.  His DD and I had coffee, so we are up and running so to speak.  I have laundry going, and DH is doing okay.  He sat on a fairly comfortable chair poolside while we were swimming, and he had no complaints.

I would like to take another walk (to get in my 10,000 steps), but I'm not sure what else I will be able to accomplish.  If worse comes to worse, I will do my usual Saturday financial review tomorrow afternoon.

Good idea to use your Hallmark coupons, Bernie.  I have one that I need to use by the end of the month.  Glad your taxes are completed.  I am still waiting for some forms to come.  Hope that we do get some money back this year.  Having to pay so much last year was such a bummer.  

Wow -- that is expensive to rent a book, Arlene.  I know some of DGS' books have been very pricey (more than $300), which really upsets me (especially since I pay for his books.)  My DH has an MBA -- hope you enjoy your classes.  Enjoy your baking and keep warm.

Waves to Arlene, twinny, Susan, Marijane, Rosa, Charlene, LindaR, Barbara, snicks, spix, Gayle, pinky ann, and all of our posters and readers.

Sleep well everyone!

Hugs,

Linda