Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, FEB 1)

Good morning, shopping friends. One month down for 2020. I hope the month was a good one for you. If not, then February is a new beginning.

I'm trying to catch the bug that is going around, so I came home yesterday and took cold medicine and have slept a total of 12 hours broken by trips to restroom and a couple of hours early this morning when I started to feel bad again and went back to bed for another two hours.

I turned on the Q in time to see a brief glimpse of a "While Suppllies Last" Vera Bradley. The glimpse was enough to whet my appetite to see more and possibly purchase. I received my Big Deal shoes yesterday for very quick shipping.

I hope all our readers and posters have a very good day. If you shop, shop wisely!

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, FEB 1)

Hi Everyone!

It's cold and we had snow flurries. Yippee!!! The dogs and I are loving it. No ice predicted so I'm relieved.

I only caught a bit of AM Style but suckered for the short sleeve Issac top. I love the pima cotton but there is a bit of a srinkage problem with some of his tops. The last two tha tI purchased were fine. I'm crossing my fingers that these will also be fine. 

I did order a set of iris and mint plants from the garden shows. I do have decent luck with those. I need to fill in some bare planters from last year's "sad" blooming situation. I did decide to give up on the fron porch garden with any new plants. I think I'm going to find one or two medium statues and use them to fill in the bare spaces. Hopefully the wildlife will let them stand.

I am starting to search for reviews on stoves.  I have a Jenn Air now but it's original to the house. It has to be 20-30 years old. It is just slightly under 30" wide. Electric. If anyone has a brand that works well please let me know. As always, I'm in sticker shock. LOL 

Hope everyone has a good afternoon/evening

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, I hope that you are feeling better soon.  I have recovered from my cold/cough, but it was a rough week+.  You got your shoes in record time as I did my T.I.P.S nail polish remover which arrived in 6 days.

We got a dusting of snow on Thursday night and another dusting yesterday morning.  I think that we have about 8 more snowfalls for the winter.  My DH is blowing it off the driveway.

January came & went so fast. This was a fun week because we had things going on all week. February looks busy & fun too.

We have had cloudy mild weather for 10 days, but tomorrow the local Ground Hog will see his shadow.  I can't remember his name, but a few years ago he nipped the mayor in the ear while the crowd was listening to the mayor's famous speech. We will have 6 more weeks of winter whether he sees his shadow or not. 

My DH is going to the  Shriner's annual pancake breakfast for lunch while I have lunch out with friends.

Our first date was on Ground Hog Day 51 years ago, so after church tomorrow, we will be going out with friends for lunch.

I have not accomplished anything this week,  but WHO cares?  

Oh, the microwave guy came on Tuesday and it's all good.  Nothing wrong with it.

I will read your posts tonight.

Hugs to all of you 

Esteemed Contributor

@Fressa wrote:

Hi Everyone!

It's cold and we had snow flurries. Yippee!!! The dogs and I are loving it. No ice predicted so I'm relieved.

I only caught a bit of AM Style but suckered for the short sleeve Issac top. I love the pima cotton but there is a bit of a srinkage problem with some of his tops. The last two tha tI purchased were fine. I'm crossing my fingers that these will also be fine. 

I did order a set of iris and mint plants from the garden shows. I do have decent luck with those. I need to fill in some bare planters from last year's "sad" blooming situation. I did decide to give up on the fron porch garden with any new plants. I think I'm going to find one or two medium statues and use them to fill in the bare spaces. Hopefully the wildlife will let them stand.

I am starting to search for reviews on stoves.  I have a Jenn Air now but it's original to the house. It has to be 20-30 years old. It is just slightly under 30" wide. Electric. If anyone has a brand that works well please let me know. As always, I'm in sticker shock. LOL 

Hope everyone has a good afternoon/evening

Fressa, we got a dusting of snow overnight on Thursday and another dusting yesterday.  I love winter too.  Anything above 60° is too hot for me.  Last week we had a little bit of freezing drizzle on top of the 3" of snow so it was heavy.

Good luck with your tops and the iris and the mint plants.  I am all for statues too.  At least they don't need to be watered.  Since the only things that I do outside are hang laundry and hot tub, I try to have as little as possible for my DH to have to mow around.

I have no idea on what to buy for a stove.  Mine is almost 9 years old, a GE smooth top and I love it and I hope that it lasts for a long time yet.  My washer is 25 years old & I am hoping that it lasts for a few more years.

Trusted Contributor

Hello Ladies, hope you are feeling better Jean.      Happy belated Birthday to you Twinny,sounds like you had a busy week.

We got thru Jan with only about 6 inches of snow which is unusual and I hope the rest of the winter we don't have much..it's also been pretty " warm" except for a week or so of bitter temps a few weeks ago,so far I can't complain. There wasn't too much sun out here this past month and another start of crummy no sun on day one of this new month.

Linda I had received my Linea jacket I think the same day as you did.....and I also like it very much,haven't worn it yet though.

Not too much going on here,have a nice day everyone!      Marijane

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Morning and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Sorry you seem to be getting that nasty bug, but glad you are taking care of yourself.  Hope you enjoy any purchases you might make here or elsewhere.

Glad you are getting snow and no ice, Fressa.  I have two of those IM tops, and they are nice.  I don't believe there has been any shrinkage.  I almost ordered a third one, but took a look at my closet and decided another top was certainly not needed. 

In terms of stoves, I have a fairly plain GE stove that we got several years ago to replace a countertop stove plus small wall oven.  This is the first time in my life using electric stoves, and I still prefer gas.  But, my keeping my gas burners clean was always a challenge.  This glass top has been wonderful -- easy to keep clean with a razor and cleaner/polish recommended by GE.  Good luck with your new plants.

Happy you are feeling better twinny.  It sounds like a fun and busy week ahead for you.   Happy there is nothing wrong with your microwave.

My lunch with Jo Ann went well.  Still not sure about the call the night before, and she admitted she often does not hear her phone so that explains why she didn't know that I had called and left a message.  She has hearing aids, but apparently fails to wear them often (including yesterday).  She has lost weight since her husband died last February, and needed new clothes.  She had been shopping at a local consignment shop and was happy with her purchases.  But, I was quite surprised to learn that she is my height (5'2") and only 102 pounds.  Way too thin in my opinion.  I think part of the problem is the combination of grief, living alone, plus lack of desire to cook.  I am happy she will be moving into assisted living where she will have three meals a day.

I just got home from lunch when my hospice patient's son called to tell me that I shouldn't plan to come today since his Mom was near death.  I asked if it would be okay for me to stop by and say goodbye, and he said he would be delighted.  The visit was great -- my patient was sleeping (on morphine, etc.), but I talked to her and gave her some love, and then I talked with her son and daughter-in-law for a while.  Such nice people.  My patient passed away this morning, and I'm so happy I had the chance to say goodbye.

My plans for the day are to take a walk, do laundry and my weekly financial review, plus I will be recording some information into Turbo Tax.  Still waiting for a bunch of forms, but I have some. 

It was cool this morning (30's), but should make it up to 70 degrees today and tomorrow.  As I mentioned, a cold front is coming in next week, and highs on Tuesdays will only be in the 40's with lows in the 20's.  In 2011, it got down to 17 degrees on February 4th, and it was a disaster with pipes freezing and bursting all over.  Hope there are no problems this year.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

ETA -- Hi, Marijane.  Glad you like your jacket.  I have a habit of "saving" new clothes, but decided to wear mine to church last Sunday.  Can't wait to wear it again.  

Trusted Contributor

Hi everyone, Jean, thanks for getting us started today.  Hope that you stay healthy during this cold/flu season.  Our DS moved back to CA from VA, arriving last night, and he brought a cold with him.  Bah humbug.  Bernie, pardon the pun, but you sound like a mother hen when it comes to your bird laying eggs!  I think it's sweet.  Fressa, hope that your GSD's skin condition will improve, and that you're able to find just the right stove.  twinny, did I miss your birthday?  If so, I wish you a happy belated birthday.  Enjoy your pancake breakfast.  I love your comment, "I have no accomplished anything this week, but WHO cares?"  Sometimes that's my sentiment too.  Marijane, glad we don't have too much snow here, but I wouldn't mind a little.  Linda, I think that you're doing a great job with your hospice work.  Hopefully when one of them passes away, you don't feel too sad, but focus on the good you were able to do for them.

I used ebay bucks to make a purchase last week of an Extraordinary Life charm bracelet.  They used to be sold on QVC, and when they were on clearance I bought one with a "Sunshine" theme, and one with a "Family" theme.  I really liked the bracelets.  Then I finally found a "Love" themed one on ebay that was a good deal.  That made me happy.  

I am just doing some misc. stuff around the house today.  I'm going to hem some PJ pants for my DH (want to make sure he has several nice pairs for later this month), put some wreaths away, close out the budget for Jan. and start one for Feb.  Nothing exciting.  But to be honest, having my DS move back is not exactly restful.  He's ADHD and talks loudly.  A lot.  Oh well.

Waves to all  ~ Charlene 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Jean @KonaKat   Sleep and rest allow the body to heal so I'm glad that you are sleeping when the spirit moves you.

Fressa @Fressa   Mother nature faked me out with sunshine this morning.  I was so excited to see the sun and sadly it was short lived.  We're getting flurries now and then.  I can't halpe you with a stove.  The My oven is built into some cabinetry and I've replaced it once myself.  I have a Dacor cooktop that is over the silverware drawer.  At the time I thought it was cool until I started thinking about replacing it.  When these things are built in any replacement needs to be the same size.  I'm not looking to re-do the entire kitchen.

Twinny @twinny70   Happy 'Date' Anniversary to you are your beloved.  I think it's so romantic that you recognize the date in a special way.  Glad your microwave is fine.

Marijane @Genny1   It's been so dreary here in the last week or so that it's starting to get next to me and I'm not usually bothered by drippy weather.

Linda @LindaLatte  I'm glad your lunch with Jo Ann went well.  It's probably better that you didn't bring up her call to you that night.  Cooking for one can be harder on some; I know I don't cook like I did when my husband was living.   I am so happy that you were able to say goodbye to your hospice patient.  I'm sure her son and daughter in law appreciated that you cared enough to stop by one more time.  It's experiences like this that give Hospice a good name.

Charlene @cerb  When it comes to the birds that have shared my life over the past 15 years I feel like I'm a trapeze artist working without a net.  Sparrows and pigeons are considered plentiful and a dime a dozen by rehabbers and avian vets have no use for them.  When Grayson joined my family back in 2009 the only way I could get a vet to examine him was to threaten to report her to the Michigan Dept of Natural Resources because she was registered there as a wildlife rehabber who treated wild birds.  It's not like I expected her to do anything for free.  At that time I paid almost $200 for an x-ray that was never shared with me, some lice meds and neosporin on his wound Woman Mad   

So many things can go wrong when a female is laying an egg that I almost hold my breath when I know Finley is close to laying.  During that time I should be called 'bird-mama-basketcase' Woman LOL

Hemming hubbies PJs sounds like a good idea.  My sister works around a loud scanner all day.  The reason that I'm telling you that is yesterday she came over to activate her new phone (was at my house) and when she talked to me I said, why are you yelling at me Woman Tongue

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

@Bird mama , sorry that the wildlife vet didn't want to be bothered with your "common" variety birds.  We love our pets, regardless of whether they're common, or ugly, or old, or whatever.  

I am trying to think ahead, and get things done around the house NOW, so that we don't have things to worry about later on.  Thankfully my DD is here, so I don't have it all on my shoulders.  We got our flu shots this week.  I'm worried that my DH might get sick before his surgery and it will get postponed.  (Stress anyone?)

Oh...the yelling, lol.  First there's my DM.  She is hard-of-hearing so she doesn't realize that she begins to yell when she talks, plus I have to talk louder.  I forget, and sometimes after I get home my family will tell me that I'm being really loud.  As for my DS, I have no idea why he talks so loud, but he always has.  We have to tell him repeatedly to be more quiet.  Sometimes he gives me a headache.  

~ Char