Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, DECEMBER 11)

Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone is safe from any storm damage. We are still having some rain and high winds. Thank heavens for the porch bench because it's keeping the rugs from flying. We are keeping an eye on the wind spinner in the patio. It was the lone surviver of the "tree storm" so when that thing starts moving we know to check the yards for any fallen objects. 

I did get to the grocery store yesterday. I only took half a list because I didn't want to push myself. Checkout lines were so long. Anyway--here are the prices that I paid in our area. Lemons/limes $5/bag that was reduced by 30% since 2 weeks ago. Lettuce was $3/head. Brussels sprouts--2 lbs for $6. (darn it becaue I really wanted those) Shout pre treat was $6 and the bottle was reduced 25% in size. Yougurt (QUI brand) $5 for 4 jars. Other dairy was increased but not drastic. Lunchmeat was increased by $1.50-$3 /pound. I just purchased the hard salami for crackers and cheese. Charmin toilet paper was $9 for a 4 pack. I didn't buy meat,fruit or salad supplies this time. I did treat us to a strouffers frozen lasagne for dinner because it was so late. It was $14 on sale for $11. The hubby liked it but it won't be a repeat buy for me (coupon or sale). To end my trip I lost an earring. I didn't even realize it until I was home. I'll check the lost and found next week but I figure it's on floor or ground. They were my Christmas earrings from years ago and the Italian gold show. I never wear my good stuff but just decided that I should start "not saving it". Seems silly in the grand scheme but still....

I watched part of AM Style but only a few things caught my eye. I didn't order anything because I have some Christmas shopping to finish. Gift cards mainly. I'm making all of my "to do /shop" lists today. I still have hopes of squeezing in one last donation pick up. Crossing my fingers on that for tomorrow.

Have a good afternoon/evening. Stay safe from these storms/hurricanes.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, DECEMBER 11)

Fressa, your grocery stores are higher than what I have seen. My favorite  4 package TP was on sale last week at Walgreens for $4.99.  My last lettuce purchase was $1.29, but that was 2 weeks ago.  My 2Good yogurt is $1.24 a carton.  I am not buying any more fresh strawberries as they are $3.98 a qt.  The most shocking thing for me now is stocking stuffers.  The price of chocolates & other candies are getting ridiculous.

We went to a few stores this morning to get stocking stuffers for our 3 dgc.  Andrew eats no sweets, so we were able to get him beef sticks.  We are going to the cheese factory to get his favorite cheese.  Christopher and Emily love chocolate so we got a variety of it.  Godiva, Russell Stover & Cadbury.  I bought a bottle of white grape juice which I will be drinking on Monday.  That's my all day clear liquids day.

I found out this morning that my niece and her dd will be coming up from S. IL for our family lunch on Saturday & getting here next Friday afternoon.  Her husband has to work & their ds has a ROTC event.  It's a girls outing for them as my gn is still struggling after her pace maker surgery a couple of weeks ago. It will be so good to see them again.  

Talking about a pace maker, my Dad passed away 30 years ago today.  He went to the   oral surgeon to get a tooth extracted, lost all vital signs, was taken by ambulance to the hospital and was dead 4 hours later.  They were going to put in a pace maker.  

We got heavy rain last night and a dusting of snow this morning. Thank goodness no nasty storms.   Now it's a beautiful sunny 30's day.  We are supposed to be near 60° next Wednesday and then 20's & sunny on Saturday.   One of our nephew's is a meteorologist & works at a TV station in Paducah.  Hopefully he is fine. I think he is coming up here next weekend too. 

The electrician came back again yesterday afternoon and all is well with our outlets.  Yippee!  The small chest freezer is on & the garage door goes up and down again.

I have some house work & laundry to do this afternoon.  Tomorrow I get swabbed and if it's negative, I will be having my colonoscopy on Tuesday.   Wednesday is a day of rest.  Then we will be getting ready for our Christmas lunch on Saturday.  My niece is a Bingo party queen.  She has offered to bring a few prizes and help me get it all together.  

Hugs to all of you.

Glenda

Honored Contributor

Hello @Fressa  and Glenda @twinny70   You have me beat on the activities front.  I saw the news (various online sites) this morning about the horrific tornado damage across the country.  After I saw that I was grateful for the 25 mph sustained winds and 50 mph wind gusts since late morning.  It appears to be calming down a bit outside and I'm grateful to have not lost power.  

Regarding groceries, I noticed my garlic triscuits expired and tossed the box into the garbage.  When I went grocery shopping later in the week I reached for a fresh box and said wait a minute, didn't the box used to be bigger?  Triscuits come in regular and family size and the garlics are usually sold in the regular size.  Now 8.5 ounces.  I googled images of tricuits and found I am not losing it - there used to be an ounce to ounce and a half more crackers in the box.

It's not the first time I've seen downsizing in product with price staying the same.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Bird Mama, I noticed quite a while ago that the Club Cracker box now has 3 individual tubes instead of 4.  Yesterday, we went into three grocery stores and the cracker shelves were very sparse.  

Glenda

Esteemed Contributor

Good Evening and thanks for getting us started, Fressa.  I think the prices in your area are generally higher than here, but ours seem higher than in Glenda's area.  So sorry about your special earring.  I get so upset when I lose one that I tend not to wear my more expensive ones often at all.  Sort of dumb, I know, but.....

Glad you don't have too much damage.  Those tornadoes were just horrible.  I feel so sorry for the people affected, particularly those who lost loved ones.

I saw a little of AM Style, and was tempted by the TSV.  But, I think I successfully talked myself out of it.  Really not a need, and the "want" factor wasn't that high.  I did order some batteries from COSTCO today.  Seems like so many things need batteries -- not just the holiday decorations.  Today it was a thermometer.

Hi Glenda.  Sad reminder of your Dad's death.  So unexpected, which probably made it even more difficult on your family.  Your Christmas party plans sound great.  I would enjoy some of that high priced chocolate you purchased for your grands.  Good luck with your prep and procedure assuming you test negative.  

Glad your weather isn't any worse than it is, Bernie.  I have noticed the shrinking size of various products, but I don't often buy crackers.  Like in the stores Glenda has visited, the "cracker" shelves are pretty empty in the stores I visit.  

DD was telling me that she took a client to the grocery store (she volunteers for an organization that gives rides to seniors if needed), and he bought quite a bit, including 5 boxes of crackers.  I can't remember what type.  He lives alone, and she was surprised he purchased so many since they take him grocery shopping once a week.  

It was chilly (according to me) this morning, but now is in the 60's and sunny.  Nothing exciting going on here.  After reading horror stories about how long the mail is taking to arrive, I hope to get started on my Christmas cards today.  I also need to do my weekly financial review.  

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda