Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, DEC. 29)

Good morning, shopping friends. I was up at 5am ready to face the day. Being off for the school break did not reset my internal alarm clock.

I'm watching AM Style. Leah is really looking great, and today she looks fabulouis iin the Denim& Co Chenille cowl-neck sweater. I really like it but I already have too many clothes right now including two similar sweaters that were a Halston TSV last year.I remember wearing them in England last Spring when the temps were a little nippy.

I guess when it comes to goals they are supposed to be measureable as well as being in the realm of reality. I need to get back on the more healthy eating and exercise routine. I know that I can do it but sometimes the motivation is lacking. I did spend an hour this morning decluttering, so hopefully the habit will carry over into 2019.

I got an email from One Hanes Place regarding a sale, so I did purchase three Bali bras. What a way to end the clothes/accessory purchasing year. Hopefully, next year will be better when it comes to needs versus wants. 

Tomorrow, I plan to have lunch with my niece as it is one of the rare times our schedules permit it. Afterwards, I plan grocery shopping at WalMart.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely one day at a time!

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, DEC. 29)

Good morning Jean and all of the posters. I wanted to thank you for your thoughtful posts...my days of evershopping are over, but you always make such good points. 

It is very cold here..we return to Az next week and I am looking forward to the sun and more temperate weather. 

My my house is rather chaotic..Syd and her mommy are not the neatest people in the world..lol...today is going to be a major reorganization time.

(((Hugs)))to all. 🥶🥶

Regular Contributor

Good Morning...the sun is out, a welcome sight after yesterday’s dreary rain.  I am watching AMS, and agree that Leah looks great.  I love the sweater, but have way too many, so I’ll be resisting the urge to buy, hopefully.

Today’s plans include a visit with 2 of my aunts and some of my girl cousins...should be fun.  We try to get together twice a year, and eat well, laugh non-stop and do a lot of reminiscing.  I have about 30 first cousins on my Dad’s side, so getting all of us together happens once in a blue moon, but our small group is easier to coordinate.

Before I head out, is the usual laundry and some light cleaning.  Wishing you all a wonderful day!!

Honored Contributor

I was up at 6:15 this morning and was surprised to see some snow on the grass in the yard.  It wasn't much and what fell on concrete was already melted. 

My former employer offered COBRA coverage for dental and vision coverage so I took advantage of it.  The company makes me laugh because they push their mobile app, encourage members to view claims and EOBs online, allow online premium payment for individual members yet they issue statements and require COBRA coverage payment by check.

Every month I feel like Wilma Flinstone when I prep and mail the check

Image result for flintstones writing letter gif

Usually the check is processed within a week to 10 days.  This month, I mailed the check on December 11th and grew concerned when it hadn't been cashed by the 27th.

I called the company and said, what's up?  The young lady that I spoke with asked me the check number and amount and said she would have Cash Receipts look for it.  I told her, it's a Scooby Doo check, you can't miss it.  I gave her my telephone number and said if it doesn't turn up in a week, please call me so I can reissue the check.  (I have a dental appointment in January for a cleaning, lol).

I'm funny about paying my bills - it doesn't matter who issues the bill - I don't like being late.

I am so happy because I checked my bank this morning and the check I sent the company has been cashed.  I looked at the back of the check and it appears Cash Receipts 'found it' after I called.  Hmmmmmm.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Jean, I missed most of ams because sleep was more important this morning.  Yes, Leah does look fabulous.  I hope that you have a nice lunch out with your niece.  I am trying to continue to eat healthy too.  I did pretty well at getting through Christmas Eve lunch and then the Christmas Day lunch.  I am not doing as much walking outside, but doing some Christmas shopping did help.  I see my GP for labs/6 month checkup in 12 days and I want to make her 😀😀😀.

Sydsgma, I bet that you are looking forward to warmer weather next week.  We have been lucky in S. WI because it's been mild and we broke the old record and hit 50° this week.  Now it's back to normal 30's and we got a dusting of snow yesterday.  Good luck with your organization.  

Karen, I am glad that you are getting 🌞🌞🌞.  On our capitol city weather forecast last night the meteorologist said that we have only had 5" total snow so far & we are 15" short of the normal amount of precipitation.    Have fun with your two aunts and cousins.  I only ever had 4 first cousins.  One is deceased, his sister lives an hour away and the other two have lived in TX for many years.  I get together with my 2nd cousins twice a year and we have a good time.

Bird Mama. Cute graphic.  Nothing like a new insurance plan messing up.  I don't like being late for anything & that includes lunch dates.  We got a dusting of snow yesterday and it barely covers the grass yet.  My DH spent 5 minutes with a broom doing the driveway.

Since we have been getting colder temps & lot's of clouds, I have been sleeping great.  I do love sunshine this time of the year.  It makes me want to get up and go.

I did make a big batch of granola cereal this morning.  I don't like cold cereal, but this I really do like.

Nothing exciting going on around here today, except maybe a batch of laundry.  

My DH just finished up his Saturday morning cleaning jobs.  I  am amazed at how clean the house is since we don't have a big Christmas 🌳🌳🌳 any more.  Our Christmas guests were all very neat.  I made most of the mess in the kitchen.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Barbara--I know you had an enjoyable Christmas but sometimes cleaning up afterwards can be a challenge.  Enjoy the warmer times in Arizona.

Karen--It is so good to see you posting again. Enjoy your time with your aunts and cousins. All the cousins and their parents used to get together for a big family reunion once a year. We always said that when the final parent died, there would not be reunions as this person was a big organizer and was really into family reunions. Our prediction came true. I rarely see them now.

Bernie--It pays to keep on your toes with all that insurance stuff and payments. Chances are if you had not pushed the matter the check would not have been discovered in time. Online is so much easier!! Cute graphic that drives the point home.

Twinny--There is nothing like sunshine to make one feel like accomplishing more. It is good that you are sleeping well. Enjoy the granola.

I went to get the mail and found that my paycheck materialized unusually early. I went to the bank to deposit it which is the first time I have been to the new bank since the bank opened its new facility after buying the old elementary school, tearing it down and building a new complex. It is a nice building but it will take getting used to. For some reason, they had security at entrance and exits today which I assume was to familarize people with new procedures and directions if they "can't read" signs.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  I always thought Leah was very pretty and a great host, but she is looking even better these days.  While I liked that sweater on her, I have a different body type -- short and petite, so resisting that sweater was not too difficult.  On the other hand, I did order the D&C button front fleece top.  Broke my no new clothes rule, but I hope I find it useful and nice.  Also pretty sure that will be my last "want" purchase for 2018, which is not saying much.  LOL

Hope you have a nice time with your niece tomorrow, Jean.  And, good luck with your more healthy eating and exercise routine.  Glad your paycheck came early.  I'm sure you will get used to the bank eventually, but it is always a challenge when banks, stores, etc. change.  

Sorry you are having such cold weather, Barbara.  It feels very cold here to me -- only 26 degrees when I got up, and high expected in the upper 40's.  It is nice and sunny, however.  That would be a heat wave for you, but as you know, southern AZ is usually warmer.  I think it should be cool for the next several days, but starting on January 3rd, our highs  should be back in the 60's.  It must be frustrating to be around not too neat people, but I know you love to be near your family.

Hi Karen.  Have fun with your Aunts and cousins.  Laundry is on my list as well.  So is my weekly financial review.  I hope to start a new "book" (I keep a notebook with expenditures, charitable gifts, etc., each year) for 2019 if I have time to do so.

I understand how your feel about having to write checks for your insurance coverage, Bernie. Since I don't get Social Security, Medicare required me to send in checks for my coverage.  After a few years, they finally allowed me to have the premiums taken out of my pension.  It was not easy to have that change made, but.....  By the way, I received my new pension statement for 2019, and it included the very large Medicare premium that I had appealed.  Hopefully, they will accept my appeal, and I will pay less in February (fingers crossed.)

Enjoy your granola cereal, twinny.  I used to make that years ago -- I remember the almonds and oats, but can't remember the rest of the ingredients.  Glad you are enjoying the sunshine and hope your area gets the snow you like.  

Guess I better get moving now.  Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Honored Contributor

The rumor about COBRA coverage (at least at my former employer) was that they had to offer it by law and resented it to some degree because it's not a money maker for them.  

Since the company has been johnny on the spot since May I'll let this time go and blame it on 4th quarter and the holiday season.  

For what it's worth, the area that handles COBRA coverage checks and membership have been begging for years to allow online bill pay.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

Hi everyone - it's clear and chilly outside.  At night we are getting to freezing temperature, so we're debating covering up our lemon tree.  It doesn't even have lemons growing this year because we got a late freeze last year that killed the fruit.  (Other citrus can withstand slightly lower temperatures.)

I also need to focus on some areas in 2019 that I didn't do so well at in 2018.  When it came to shopping, I was good at not buying too many clothes, but I overspent on jewelry.  That's the way I started off the year, and that's the way I finished the year.  So the results are mixed.  Hopefully I will be better this coming year.  I too, need to work on improving health - eating better and exercising more.  I was worse at that in 2018 than I was in 2017.  Sigh.

@sydsgma1 - my DD is a messy person.  She confines it to her room, but it really is bad.  Drives me nuts sometimes, and I don't know how much to say or nag.  So I empathize with your having to clean up after untidy people.  

@ksmitty28 - I hope that you have a great time with your aunts and girl cousins.  Sounds wonderful! 

@Bird mama - I also like to get bills paid right away.  I can understand the frustration about not knowing if a transaction has been completed.  I'm exacting in that area of life.  

@twinny70 - like you, I also only have 4 cousins.  They grew up in Arizona, but we were in So Cal, so we drove to visit them once or twice a year.  We still have reunions.  I also used to make homemade granola.  Haven't done that in a while, maybe I should!

@KonaKat - I hope that you enjoy your upcoming lunch with your niece.  Thanks for the words of encouragement regarding shopping.  I'm a shopaholic work in progress, so I still need words of wisdom.  

@LindaLatte - I sure do hope that your appeal works and you don't have extra large payments.  We are having similar weather to you, so stay warm on your walks.

I have cleaning and organizing things to do today, especially paper work, as I close out 2018 records, and create new ones for 2019.  I don't mind it though.  I'd rather organize than clean, lol.

Wishing you all a blessed day!  ~  Charlene

Esteemed Contributor

Linda L, I modified making my granola.  I use oats, slivered almonds, chopped peanuts, sunflower seeds, SF mini chocolate chips and raisins.  Two of our neighbors have snow mobiles & are not happy with no snow.  They have to go up N. for snow because the local trails are closed.  All outdoor activities are at a stand still right now.

Bird Mama, after I left my job,  I had COBRA for about a year before we  found out that I didn't have to go that route.  It was an expensive lesson.  My first year medical bills were sky high and it put us into panic mode.

CERB, too bad about your lemon tree freezing.  It would be so much fun to pick fruit from our yard.  My parents had 2 peach tree's that produced good fruit. They also had a mulberry tree. They made good pies.  I would rather clean house than do financial work.  I hate balancing the ✔ book each month.  

I just took a walk in the downtown area and ended up at the library.  My new mittens and stocking cap are winners . This was my first walk downtown this month.  There were lots of people eating at the various restaurants.