Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, DEC. 26

Hi all, glad everyone seems to have enjoyed their holiday. Thanks KK for starting us off this morning.

I am one of those who are taking down their tree today, so am off to get started on that, as it does take some time to get everything packed up and back in the closet under the stairs. Have a great day everyone. Waves.......

"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

Snicks--Decorating for Christmas is hard work and takes time; packing up afterwards takes much time. I think this is one reason some wait until New Years. It is a lot of work for a short period of display if one decorates extensively. I've noticed locally that more and more people are doing away with extensive outdoor decorations. We no longer have many homes with extensive outdoor lighting. I've also noticed the inflatable Santas, etc. are not seen as much.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning!  Thanks for getting us started Jean.  Glad you didn't gain too much unwanted weight, despite eating a bit out of the healthy zone.  I used to check my weight every morning, but I gave that up after realizing that I don't really vary that much as far as weight goes.

I need a few groceries, but grocery shopping may not happen today.  Definitely won't be hitting Wal-Mart.  I would love to get a gift card, but that never seems to happen.  However, I am very happy that DD and family enjoyed receiving their Amazon gift cards.  Nice that they could select something they wanted.  I have never tried Zulily either, and I am reluctant to try a "no returns" place.  Sounds like Marijane has had great luck.  It is nice when you find an item that you like so much that you buy it in multiples.

Hi Bernie -- as Marijane said she, Jean, and I are in the other camp -- warm weather lovers. It is good that everyone doesn't agree or one area would be overcrowded.  LOL  I think the same about clothing, home decorations, etc. -- good that we like different things.  Enjoy shopping with your sister -- nice to have those traditions.  I used to shop the after-Christmas sales every year to pick up ornaments, etc. on half price.  They seem to start those sales earlier these days.

DGS worked at Macy's on Christmas Eve, and things got pretty nasty by the end of his shift at 6:00 p.m.  People insisted that they could shop as late as they wanted (not true, but....)  Also, the crew had started putting up the after Christmas sales signs, and people were demanding those prices.  He ended up having to do things manually after his boss told him to go ahead and give them the sales price.  Those prices weren't in the computer yet.

So happy it went okay with your Mom, twinny.  Also happy that you are doing well.  Have a great time with your son and DIL.  

Hope you get your tree down without too much stress, Snicks.

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, Susan, spix, Barbara, Charlene, Rosa, LindaR, Karen, pinky ann, Gayle, and all of our posters and readers.

DD and I had a very nice Skype session yesterday, and I saw DGD as well.  She looks great with her new haircut/style.  She still has long hair, but she had about 8" cut.  It is easier for her to dry and style her hair now.  My grandsons and SIL were busy watching a movie one boy gave to another.  Boys will be boys.

It was a pretty nice day yesterday, and I took DH out to see the Christmas lights at a neighborhood nearby that decorates up a storm.  Really lovely.  His DS called, and his DIL and DGS talked to him.  Later, his DD called -- she worked overnight on Christmas Eve, but she didn't have many patients at all (she is an OB/GYN at a hospital).  Today, she and her family leave for their two week European vacation -- a few days in Paris, and then on to Germany to see relatives (her Mom was from Germany).

I have no big plans for today -- a walk, laundry, and financial review.  Very happy to say that I did a bunch of cleaning yesterday.  I have to laugh because DD said that she was about to get out the Comet to do a thorough cleaning of the bathtub (thinking of you, Bernie.)

Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Trusted Contributor

So glad that everybody seemed to have an enjoyable Christmas!!!.  We had a nice time, and I frequently offered up a prayer of thanksgiving for the many blessings in my life.  I'll admit though, that I'm really worn out now.  Being around a lot of people for the past 2 days with constant talking just wears me out.  That's what happens when you're an introvert rather than an extrovert.

I agree with what several of you said, that, as much as I enjoy a good bargain, I no longer want to enter the fray at a B&M store and deal with crowds or unpleasantness.  It's not worth ruining my day to save $5. Maybe in a week or so I will hit a couple of stores to check out clearance sales.   I also take our Christmas decorations down on New Year's Day.  I get up in the morning and turn on the Rose Parade, and have that on in the background while I take down the tree.  It just seems to make the experience more enjoyable.

Over the years I've come to rather like the contrast between December and January.  That may sound odd, but I like the fact that December is rather decadent, with over-decorating, over-eating, and over-shopping.  Then in January when the decorations are put away, everything seems so light and bright.  I don't really mind the encouragement to live a healthier lifestyle or to become more organized that comes in January.

Did I mention that my DH bought me a Fitbit for Christmas?   It's actually a thoughtful gift, as I had mentioned a few times that something like that might be nice to try.  I had no idea he actually listened, LOL.  Love my DH, but being a good listener is not one of his strengths, hee hee.

In a couple of hours we will be going to my SIL's house for a family get-together.  I always find it a bit awkward to spend time with my in-laws, but it should be okay.  Now I need to think of some food to bring that's appropriate.  Hope you all have a pleasant weekend!   ~   Charlene

Honored Contributor

All done with Christmas decor for this year, all boxed, packed up and tucked way back under the stairs closet, vacuumed, dusted, made bed, made a snack and that's it for me today, lol. Whatever you are doing, I hope you are having fun. Waves....
"To each their own, in all things".
Trusted Contributor

wow Snicks!!  You were a busy beaver.  We keep ours up till Jan 6th....my mom called it "Little Christmas".  Two  of my house guests left...my DD and her boyfriend....they went back where he lives VT.. ..she is off this coming week ( teacher) so will spend time up there,she lives in NJ.  My sister will go back Momday and who knows when my other 2 kids will go....maybe when the food runs out..LOL

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got into my usual afternoon lazy mode, helped by the rain.  I watched a couple of episodes of Emergency via Netflix and then cuddled with Midnight while I read on my Kindle.

Linda--It was great that you were able to Skype with DD as well as being able to go with DH to look at the lights. I hope DH's daughter and family have a great trip.

Snicks--You certainly have the energy to get all those decorations down and packed away. Now, you can sit back and relax.

Bernie--I also enjoy savings but not enough to put up with the day after Christmas sales congestion and traffic.

Marijane--It sounds as if you had a great tme with family. Perhaps your keeping the decorations up until the 6th will ward away that possible snow that is coming your way.

Charlene--Enjoy the Fitbit. With the New Year, it will help you become even healthier if you are setting fitness resolutions. Yes, DH was listening, so perhaps you might plan on making more suggestions.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi girls!  I saw something unusual when I woke up - sunshine!  After days of pouring rain it was good to see it again, so I put Shoshanna back outside since I found some poop on the dining room rug - apparently she's the culprit, as I hadn't had that problem when she was out.

It poured all day yesterday and all night; at one point there was a peal of thunder that sounded more like an explosion - the entire house shook!  I did end up venturing out to the Chinese take-out, and they were really, really busy despite the weather.  I got my mei fun as well as a shrimp roll, soup, and some lo-mein, so I have enough food left for several more meals.  I had pretty much a lazy day, although I did get the refrigerator cleaned out; in the evening I watched "God's Not Dead" on Amazon Prime - I had forgotten how good it was. I think today is going to be another lazy day, although I've already gotten the main litter boxes scrubbed and cleaned, so I don't have to deal with them tomorrow.

The warm weather continues, thankfully - it's almost 75° out, and I'm too warm in long-sleeved PJs; I'll have to get another summer pair out.  In the middle of the night I was so hot I got up and turned on the ceiling fan.

I'm quite broke, but wouldn't dream of venturing out to any stores today even if I weren't; I expect they're all going to be mobbed with people returning things and it's not like I need (or even want) anything anyway. I expect I'll go to Publix on Wednesday - they have a good sale on kitty kibble, as well as some other necessities, and if I write a check it won't clear until after my money goes in...plus I'll be able to get some cash back.

I haven't watched QVC in years (don't have TV), but I wouldn't be surprised to see them start "Christmas in January."   Cat Wink

I used to buy a lot of things in multiples, but now pretty much limit doing so to basics, like pants or layering pieces, or if something comes in an assortment of widely different prints.  There are so many pretty things to choose from, that only limits my choices more.  I did buy a purse last year that I absolutely love; I had gotten it in black, exchanged it for taupe when I saw it at another store, and it's turned out to be such a winner that I'm sorry I didn't keep the black as well, so I guess that's another exception.

LindaL, I love getting Amazon gift cards!  They have everything one could want, and their prices are usually very good.  Oh, I can relate to what DGS went through on Christmas Eve!  When I worked PT at JCP, on Christmas Eve the signs said we closed at 6, and the manager would stand at the door to make sure no one else came in.  Some of them got pretty ugly!  Seriously - it's not like Christmas falls on a different date every year so they're taken by surprise; I guess they don't have enough sense to not wait until the last minute, then expect everyone to cater to their desires because, after all, store employees don't have a life!  Cat Mad  I worked at Ross in Kona one Christmas season, and I remember we were closing on New Year's Eve, and two girls came in and said they needed shoes...and refused to leave.  The manager had us close the registers anyway, and the two bimbos had to get out when we closed the store sans shoes.  Again - did New Year's Eve pop up as a surprise?  Seems like people are becoming more self-centered all the time...

A cousin posted a video of the decorations on their house on FB - they're one of those families who goes all out!  I don't care to decorate for Christmas at all - it reminds me of the hell I used to go through as a child with my abusive mother screaming and yelling and hitting me as she decorated.  Of course, the people who admired the decorations and told me what a lucky little girl I was had no idea of what went on behind the scenes.  Cat Sad  If I bothered at all it would be more like the house on the right:

I do love the smell of pine and evergreen, so I got a couple of scented candles; that was the extent of my "decorating."  Cat Very Happy

My parents were Catholic and did the "Little Christmas"/Epiphany thing on January 6 - I think it's popular in all Eastern European countries, as is the big Christmas Eve dinner.  It was customary to have the priest come to the apartment to "bless" it and write "KMB" over the door in chalk.  Supposedly the names were those of the "three kings" - Kaspar, Melchior, and Baltazaar. When I got older I learned that not only does the Bible not mention there were three wise men (only three different gifts) but it tickled me to later discover that the names they used (also not in the Bible) were taken from an opera - Jamal and the Night Visitors! Cat LOL Anyway, the tree didn't come down until the day after that, or even a few days later.

Glad to heat you all had a nice Christmas. Today is an odd-feeling day; it's like it was Sunday yesterday and today is just "out there."  Usually the entire week after Christmas is like that.

Guess I'll reheat some Chinese food for lunch. Hi to everyone - have a peaceful evening!

Honored Contributor

My sister and I ventured out for a couple of hours this afternoon - just the Meijer's.  This year folks got started early in the day on the clearance items.  I found some 1/2 off wrapping paper, a package of gift boxes, some ribbon and a few interesting bows. 

I went in with a list and stuck with it.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

So yesterday, when I was decluttering a catch all basket in the kitchen, I came across a dense foam bouncing ball that looked like a baseball:

On a lark, I gave it to Grayson to see what he'd do with it.  Well, he poked at it and rolled it around and was having a great time with it.  When he went to bed last night, I checked out the ball and found some serious pits in it.

Well, I can't have my pigeon ingesting even the slightest bit of foam, so I threw it out and picked up the little chips that he'd plucked out.

When he got up this morning he came looking for the ball - good Lord - he knew it was missing.

So when I was in Meijer's I went looking at cat toys (minus catnip). 

I saw these and almost bought them.  Can't have my boy accidentally ingesting glittered thread, lol.

Out of desperation, I went into the baby aisle.  I bought this set, pitched the hoop and gave him the magenta colored ball.  It's a softer rubber, not too heavy and I don't have to worry about choking.  My sister suggested the baby aisle - that was genius!

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise