Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, AUG. 27)

Good morning, shopping friends. It is a beautiful sunny day with temps expected in the high 90s with heat index of 110+. 

I really need to go to the city to shop for groceries but it is so comfy sitting here. I am somewhat tired from working 3 consecutive long days while not feeling the best. If I don't go shopping today, it will have to be tomorrow. I am getting low on food.

I'm watching Lean right now with some Dennis Basso being featured. I like that faux leather jacket but I already have two of his in great condition. I really like them and wear them often in the late Fall and Winter. 

I think many of us shop when we see something new and creative and does not already have a place in our wardrobe. Too much of the "same old, same old" does not motivate shopping and this article seems to agree:

http://www.businessinsider.com/consumers-are-bored-with-shopping-2016-2

I'm off to have a second cup of coffee. My beautiful black cat is nesting near me so I think he is happy to have me at home. Perhaps the trip to the city will wait until tomorrow.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, AUG. 27)

Good morning everyone and thanks @KonaKat for the start. Sorry you are over tired this morning. Maybe the trip to the city is best left till tomorrow. Midnight needs some time with you apparently, lol.

I don't own any DB, his things look nice though.

I watched AMS and chatted a bit.

I did see that article posted elsewhere. I agree, bored with shopping when everything is pretty well the same as everything else. Also the changes in sizing with each item is ridiculous, imo.

No specific plans for today, will see what I end up doing.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend. Waves.....

"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

Snicks--I didn't see that article posted elsewhere. I needed something for a start and built upon my reaction to what I had experienced lately online and in stores.."same old, same old." Thus, I did a Google search and came up with the link. I usually just check out the "wellness" thread and sometimes "community chat." If the title grabs me, I read it andd sometimes I miss good threads by not checking.

One of my favorite lines is Dennis Basso. I have some of his coats, jackets and throws. They are well made and last, last, last making them very cost effective.  Sometimes, it isn't the actual price of an item, it is how cost effective it is in terms of cost per wearing.

I'm now watching MI: Ghost Protocol while peddling away.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

I'm in the process of getting ready to send back an IT cosmetics mascara that had all types of statistics about how well it worked. I must have been one of the few that fell in the small category for which it did not work.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon, and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Sounds like today might be a good one to stay home with your handsome cat.  But, maybe you will feel the need to get out to the store.  Interesting article.  Can't say that I have been very interested in adding to my clothing, and the "sameness" of the offerings may have something to do with that.  For example, in a SG show I watched, she presented items that were nice, but not much different than things I already own.  The prices were higher than in the past, which was another turn-off.  I did see something from Louis (Linea line), that really tempted me.  Not a new sort of item -- faux suede anorak, but something I really liked.  Guess I am too concentrated on the house right now to want to shop much for clothing.  The TSV has been calling my name, and I am trying to weigh my decision very carefully.  

Hi snicks -- I'm sure you will find plenty to do today.  Are you back to walking?  I had a nice walk this morning (not too hot), and I have already completed my 10,000 steps.  

I waited to hear from the painter, but ended up calling him just to make sure he will start on Monday.  Very glad I called, since he had double-booked, and he will not be able to make it then.  I told him that I have already started moving the delicate items from the living room/dining room (really almost finished), and he said that he can come on Thursday (at first he was talking the day after Labor Day).  I'll not move everything back, but my Arizona room is pretty crowded already.  And, the living and dining room are looking pretty empty.  Oh well.....

DH was napping when I visited him yesterday, but he did get up after I talked to him for a little while.  We walked around several times, and then I called his DD so they could talk.  Not that they have long conversations, but I know she likes having the contact with her Dad.

I plan to visit him this morning -- I'll check out the thrift store one more time since he could really use a small table near his recliner.  We are borrowing one from the facility now.  I found another throw for him at COSTCO yesterday -- he is often cold, and the throws are large enough for the hospital bed (like a blanket).

My big accomplishment yesterday evening was going through the papers on my desk.  It is sure nice to have a nice, clean desktop.  I have more paper filing/sorting to do -- one of my least favorite jobs.  And, today is my regular laundry and weekly financial review.  I did not make it to the pool yesterday because we had a storm and then I lost interest.  Hope to swim today.

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, twinny (very glad you finally talked to the lawyer), Bernie, Essie, Marijane, Susan, Karen, Barbara, Charlene, Rosa, meallen, butterfly, 3swu...5, Gayle, LindaR, pinky ann, and all of our posters and readers.

Hope everyone has a nice Saturday!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Afternoon, Thanx @KonaKat for the start, sounds like Midnight does want you home, go with the flow, maybe tomorrow you'll feel more like it.

@Snicks1, my day has been the same, not much of anything going on.

I'm feeling the same way re:clothes, shoes, handbags, etc,  I scroll thru the options, waiting for something to grab me, hasn't happened in a very long time, makes it easy to talk myself out of it, just keep telling myself, if it doesn't wow, forget it. However I'm stalking a pair of ankle boots (which btw don't wow me at all, years ago had a pair & got sores on my ankles from the constant back & forth, or whatever when you walk) anyway this pair is more $$ than I want to spend so will wait & maybe they'll be on clearance.

DD for dinner tonite, so far pork chops, cauliflower, & maybe some yukon potatoes with butter & parsley, works for me

Essie

Honored Contributor

@KonaKat, I think the article I mentioned was not the exact same as the one you posted, but said pretty much the same thing, lol. It's true, there is nothing new out there, right now.

Sorry you have to return yet another item.

@LindaLatte, I am going to walk today, it's not too hot and humid right now. My back is feeling more it's normal amount of pain, so I am ready to get back to it.

I did order Linea's anorak, it hasn't shipped yet. I think, or am hoping, I can use it for my winter coat most of the season. His offerings, imo, are the nicest of any on QVC.

It's good that you called the painter, otherwise the waiting around for nothing would have been irritating. My pool looks really nice, again, but the water temp is much cooler than I like, so no swimming for me today.

I have a desk full of papers that need to be sorted, shredded, or something, I hate that job too.

Happy that things are going well for DH and you.

@spix, your dinner plans sound good to me. What time shall I arrive, lol.

I need to shorten curtains I bought for the guest room, I may, or may not tackle that this afternoon. My guess right now is probably not, lol.

Now that I have all the carpeting shampoo-ed, and all the windows washed, I might actually start going through closets and cabinets for donations. It would be nice to have that done before I am out raking leaves every day, lol. Always something.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Linda--I used to love the Q's Fall Fashion Day, but lately the "same old, same old" hasn't attracted me. True, I'm more conservative and like items that tend to outlast short fashion trends, but even the more classic items can be designed with a twist. I totally agree with the SG pricing. There is one SG top that is one of her more conservative priced items yet it is an item that attracts my attention more than the others before I see the pricing. It seems when a new item is added to the line, they like to afix an unreasonable price to it.

I'm happy that you were able to visit DH and that his DD was able to talk to him via phone. Great job on the 10,000 steps already.

Essie--Sometimes waiting to purchase does pay off either because an item you have been wanting goes to a better price or because another item emerges that captures your interest enough to try. Impulse shopping often results in bad decisions but waiting gives time to think.

Snicks--You are, indeed, one busy lady with getting all those household chores done.

Normally, I would have been tempted to buy a Laura Geller TSV. Now, I don't as regardless of line. I just buy the item I like and the only way I would buy a TSV is that an individual item I use is priced about the same as the whole kit or that there are two items in it to justify the cost. I didn't need the TSV or any of the items in it so I did not purchase it. I have the copy of the Insider for the next month but have yet to look at it.

Trusted Contributor

Hi everyone - Jean - I just read the article you posted and I think it was pretty spot-on.  I hope you're feeling better soon.  LindaL - I have felt the same way about your shopping observations.  A few years ago I realized that I liked some of Susan Graver's liquid knit tops and bought quite a few.  The new ones being offered are too similar to ones that I already have and they're twice as expensive.  Also, the ones I have are still in great shape so there's no incentive to buy.  Spix - your dinner sounds yummy indeed.  Since you mentioned pork chops, I'm thinking maybe I'll put some pork in the slow cooker with a can of some golden mushroom soup, and put the cooker outside on the porch.  Snicks - are you good at sewing?  Hope the curtains turn out well.  One of you, I think it was Spix or Snicks said that you're planning a trip to Big Bear, CA in October.  I have always liked Big Bear and they have a nice little Octoberfest up there that you might enjoy.  

My DH and I cleaned out the goat pens this morning, and I cried knowing it was the last time I was cleaning up Dottie's pen.  Losing a cat and 3 goats in a period of 6 months has been hard.  

Right now, my DH is laying out some paving stones in our Asian-themed garden area.  I'm just supervising.  Then my DH is going to install our new dishwasher that arrived yesterday.  I'm just supervising that too.  I'm a grateful lady to have married a capable, hard-working man.  In the meantime, I'll just work on my little "projects."

Hope you all have a pleasant day.  ~  Charlene

Honored Contributor

@cerb, hi girl, I was just closing out on my computer when I saw you had posted. It must have been @spix who mentioned a trip to Big Bear, Ca. Sounds like a great trip though, wish it wereme, lol.

I used to sew and made some of my clothing and my girls' clothing, but haven't done any other than hems, etc., for years. I can manage heming the curtains these days, but that's about the extent of my sewing skills anymore, unfortunately.

I'm so sorry, I know cleaning out Dottie's pen had to have been hard to do. You're right about all those losses being too much in such a short length of time.

Your DH sounds like he is a go-getter. Lucky he has all those skills and is willing to put them to use. I'm sure you make a great supervisor, lol.