Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, 10/18)

Good morning, shopping friends. I just returned from the "vampire" who removed 4 vials of blood. I just downed a quick bite and am now having my coffee to jumpstart the day.

I just turned on AM Style so I have no idea what has been featured. The item review will suffice. On the other hand, if an item is not seen it will no tempt me if it is in the "want" category. I'm really trying to resist buying more jackets. To me, jackets are like jewelry; they are the finishing touch to many things I wear and change their look depending upon the style of the jacket.

Now, that Layers by Lizden Shrug might be good to wrap up in during the cold days and nights ahead when we try to keep the heat low.

I am so exhausted from working all these days while also fighting a cold. I'm debating going to the city for groceries versus just relaxing today. I will go either today or tomorrow. Right now, just sitting here sounds like a great option.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, 10/18)

Jean, It is good that you have done lots of teaching this year. Are you always this busy at the beginning of the school year? Hopefully your cold will be better soon. I like jackets too, & can usually wear them for a long time as we do have the 4 seasons. I set the alarm to go off at 7:00 for AMS, but was too tired to get up when it went off. I stayed in bed for an extra hour. We are still doing the 2 hour eye drop duty. Hopefully when we take mom to her eye clinic on Monday, they will change the schedule & make things easier for all of us.

It is rainy & cold here today. They do say sunshine this afternoon & low 50's, but that is waiting to happen. DH had his men's breakfast today & was planning to take his moped. I ended up taking him & he will have to find a ride home. I was going to wash too, so that is still pending. Looks like a "Kindle" day for me as I have a book that is due back tomorrow & I have several chapters to read yet.

DH & I are planning to go to some friends farm for dinner tonight for a fish fry/bonfire. They have a fancy barn so it will be warm even with temps tonight predicted to be in the 30's.

No shopping on my horizon with us getting a new vehicle next month. We finally had a few extra hours on Thursday to go do the dreaded hunt.

Hugs to all of you.

Valued Contributor

Hello Jean and all posters,

We have been having beautiful weather and it is now really starting to feel like Fall.

I, too, hate having blood drawn, Jean. I am one of those that has to turn my head the other way as they are filling up multiple tubes of blood.

We are supposed to have rain this weekend. I am keeping things as quiet as possible this weekend. The last 2 Friday's have been nothing but family drama. It's ironic, but how I pictured retirement vs. the reality are worlds apart.

I have watched a little programming on the Q. I am not sure if I am remembering correctly, but it seems that there is more Christmas programming this years vs. previous years. Does it seem that way to anyone else?

Well, I hop everyone has a great weekend!

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny--Your body said the extra rest was needed, so AM Style could wait. You are exhausted from the eye drop duty. Congrats upon the new vehicle. Yes, it is purchases like this that make us think carefully about purchases.

Gayle--As far as Christmas programming is concerned, I am ready for Spring Fashions. I don't do as much for Christmas as I once did so it is of minimal interest to me. I do like the TSV but I've done without it for years so the money saved can be applied elsewhere. We are also having rain this weekend. In fact, it just started. The reality of retirement is often a contrast to what we envisioned.

We are short on subs, so I've been working more than usual. In fact, since I keep track each year, I can tell you that as of today's date, I have worked twice as many days since the beginning of school compared to last year. For this reason, I am very tired and some of the assignments have been challenging so the day's end resulted in me being super exhausted. Having a cold doesn't help either. I've done office work and I've worked in a classroom. Some classroom assignments are much more demanding than that of office work. Think "Blackboard Jungle" for some classes and the need to be constantly moving, monitoring, confronting, etc. while trying to deliver instruction.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Good morning ladies:

I slept in this morning. I worked the fish fry take out last night---and then went inside to help with the clean up. I was tired but couldn't sleep. Finally went to sleep at some hour. Rather than bake something for the dessert sale--I opted to go to the store. I took it out of it's packing and wrapped it is foil!. I simply wasn't in a baking mood. I know others opt for that also--so I didn't feel badly. When I went inside the lady manning the table said she was the only one--and finally got some relief so she could eat with her family---It seems that the same few folks do the lion share of the work. Just as in any organization.

Twinny: I know you are tired with the schedule you are having to keep. Hopefully the doctor's visit will provide you with some relief. The fish fry and bonfire sounds delightful.

Jean: I know you have worked a lot this year---it is good to be busy and work but it is tiring also. Do take care of yourself.

Last night when I got home I turned on the Q and caught a few minutes of La Lisa's Christmas show---I rarely watch her---but she didn't seem to have her ""heart in it"". Perhaps she is simply burned out and ready to move along. I do wish her the best---although I am not one of the people who think that ""the sky is falling"" because she is exiting!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Gayle, I am a chicken too when it comes to needles. I always look the other way. When they insert into my port that is even worse as they are so close to my face! Yes, I think Christmas on the Q gets much earlier every year. DH retired 12 years ago & it was very difficult to leave his job of 32 years & be my full time care taker. Now retirement is wonderful for the most part. We are still struggling with my mom's eye issues though. Hopefully after her Monday eye appt. things will let up a bit.

Jean, I thought that you seemed to be extra busy this year. The good thing is that the roads are still quite nice. It must take the patience of a Saint to be a teacher now days. Our DD does volunteer work at all 3 of her DC's schools. She does reading & math & says she has kids that totally ignore her when she is trying to teach them something on a one to one basis.

DH just came home from his men's breakfast as I was getting done with eye drop duty. Our pastor fixes a good breakfast. Pancakes., sausages, an egg casserole & his DD made homemade cinnamon rolls. I stayed home until the last possible moment hoping he would be home at 11:00. It is still cloudy & cold. Still hoping for some sunshine though.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon! Thanks for getting us started Jean. Glad the bloodwork is done. Like Gayle, I always turn my head when they are taking blood. Sorry you are so tired and not feeling that well. Working is good, but it can be stressful and tiring. Do take care of yourself!

Hi twinny -- it does sound cold there. Sorry you were tired, but I can understand. Not only the need to have "eyedrop duty" but the stress and your own medical issues must make things quite difficult for you. Hope you enjoy dinner tonight -- sounds like fun.

Hope things will be quiet and calm this weekend Gayle. Sorry about the family drama. I feel there is more Christmas programming this year, but part of that is probably my lack of interest in adding to my Christmas decorations, etc. I really like Fall decorations, and now is their time. Christmas decorations will come later.

That fish fry sounds like lots of work LindaR. You are correct -- much of the work usually falls to certain "old faithful" people in any organization. I don't think the "sky is falling" either, but I know some believe that to be true.

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, Marijane, Susan, Karen, Rosa, Val, Sonya, Nancy, Gina, Jules, Kathy, and all of our posters and readers.

DH had problems sleeping last night, but he seems better today. We had a nice walk this morning (cool, but not cold), and I made pancakes for breakfast, which we both enjoyed

This is my usual laundry and financial accounting day, and I may go to the pool when it warms up. DGS' team won their football game last night, which I'm sure makes everyone happy.

Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Linda R, Yes those church suppers are tiring. We don't do them at our small church, but one of my BF's from HS has them a couple times of year at their church. She gets exhausted & says it is the same few people doing all of the work each time. The fish fry that we will be going to tonight is put on by a couple from church that love to fish. This year they have had so many fish that this will be the 3rd fish fry. It is not for profit as it is always free. I did see the very end of Lisa's show last night, but not enough to really enjoy myself. I did purchase the snowy owls last year in November & really liked them. I kept them up for a long time after Christmas as they were so enjoyable to look at. I also wish List the best of luck in whatever she chooses to do.

I did see a few moments of the scrub daddies this week too. I bought 2 of them from the QVC Studio store in Sept. I used them for the first time this week as I burned the meat loaf that was in the oven. I went to do eye drop duty & mom kept me much longer than normal & I didn't think to tell my DH to keep an eye on the oven. They worked well as my pan was a mess.

Esteemed Contributor

LL, Yes it is cold today, but we had some really nice days last week. I think we will be getting Indian Summer next week as they keep saying 60's-70's by the end of next week. I seemed to sleep restlessly last night too. Glad that you & your DH did get a nice walk today in cooler weather. It is just a lazy day around here for me. I just need to make something simple to take to the fish fry tonight. Just getting out with friends will be fun for us.

Respected Contributor

Hi girls! It's another beautiful day out - warm and sunny - so I'm taking the dogs out for a walk in a little while. Yesterday we went to the park and I've had it with them - they go absolutely crazy when they see another dog, and try going after it, pulling me after them, so until they learn to behave their walks will be limited to around the neighborhood. {#emotions_dlg.mad} I got so annoyed yesterday as they were particularly naughty - their walk got cut very short. I didn't get to start the clothes swap as it was so nice out that I opted to cut the grass, both front and back, so that's done for the year; I just have to get some big weeds cut down and that's it. I also washed the car, and saw that the front side headlight is broken; I'll have to go to a car shop and see what it costs to repair. It's always something!

I'm toying with the idea of rearranging my living room furniture. Shoshanna (who now gets her nails cut every week) tore up some wallpaper behind one of the recliners, so the white wall is glaringly obvious. I was going to match paint to the wallpaper to disguise it (the wallpaper has sort of a marble effect and is mostly solid), but I'm thinking I might put the couch on that wall,which will totally cover it, and move the two chairs and the end table under the picture window where the couch is. It might be a nice change, anyway.

Jean, I'm sure the extra money is nice, but don't overdo - your health is more important! I never had any desire to be a teacher, and even less so, given what kids are like these days - most have no respect for anyone or anything. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

I hate having blood drawn - the sight of blood doesn't bother me at all...unless it's my own. {#emotions_dlg.scared} I remember being in the hospital years ago after surgery, and I was still out of it, and when someone came to take blood early in the morning I mumbled, "Hey, you're supposed to be a white guy in a black cape, not a black guy in a white coat!" The phlebotomist laughed at that one!

Twinny, I hope you get a break soon - I get exhausted just reading all that you have to do!

LindaR, I miss the pot lucks we had at my Hawaii church. The one I go to now isn't into that sort of thing - a lot of wealthy people and although everyone is very friendly, they're not a pot luck kind of group...and the church is probably too big for that anyway. I look for every opportunity I can to cook; unfortunately, most of my friends here are allergic to cats, so I can't do the dinner parties I love.

My new hand mixer is very pretty, but I thought I'd use the old one once more to make sure it still worked after a slow start before taking it to the thrift shop. Wouldn't you know it - it's now working perfectly! {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

CBS has changed it's website so that I can't watch my shows on my Kindle unless I use the app, which is a week behind on the shows. I have the option of using a pay feature to see them the day after their air (not gonna happen) which also requires that you give them permission to have their "marketing partners" contact you...no thanks. I tried watching on the laptop, but I have ad blocking software and the shows won't load unless you disable it so they can play their commercials - once again, not gonna happen - I'm sick and tired of all the ads, especially the ones that have videos start without your permission, so if you're listening to a radio program or whatever, you just hear a jumble. {#emotions_dlg.mad} So, I went to Amazon and began to watch one of their "exclusive" shows. There was nudity a minute or so into it (really, Amazon?), so that was the end of that... Went to YouTube and started watching "The Stand" (From Stephen King's novel about a deadly, highly contageous disease) and it's eerie how many similarities there were in it that look like they came out of the news reports these days... {#emotions_dlg.scared} It was originally a TV miniseries, so I'll watch part 2 tonight. One of the stars in it is Gary Sinese; he sure was good-looking when he was younger. (Still not bad at all...)

Guess I'd better take the dogs out before I start with the closet - the worst part is going to be going up and down the stairs 20 times or so....but then again, I'm thinking of all the calories I'll burn! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} (Although I'll no doubt be aching tomorrow...)

Have a blessed day, everyone!