Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, 1/3)

Good morning, shopping friends. I'm watching AM Style. I am also noting additional motivation not to buy, especially in multiples if it is an item especially liked. I like Susan Graver's butterknit but that top featured this morning on AM Style would come in at around $60 once shipping and tax were added in. Would I pay that for a top I saw in a department store without trying on? It would have to be an unusual top for me to even try it on at that price.

I realize things are getting more expensive across the board but these types of costs require one to be more discriminating and consider the cost per use factor. Something that is expensive may, in fact, be the best buy if it is an item used often to justify the cost. A $20 top worn 4 time is the equivalent of $5 per use. A $60 top of a quality that will result in it lasting a long time and of a more timeless style could easily be worn ten times a year or 20 times in two years, resulting in a cost per use of $3 for the two years. I have some SG tops that are three years old and they still look good, as we as some George Simonton tops. A quality item may well be worth the extra cost if it is a timeless style that will last a long time and be worn often.

How will I use this? How often will I use this? These are questions to consider when buying an item. If it is a trendy item, then consider a lesser priced item as trendy things will soon lose favor with you.

Facial creams? Research has indicated the price tag does not guarantee that it will deliver the claims. If two face creams (or more) claim to be the best because they actually do deliver the "best" in their formulation, then go with the lesser priced one. Olay consistently comes out as one of the highest recommended because of cost per performance and results.

I confess to using Ole Henrikson and also Peter Thomas Roth when purchased on specials. I do like them far better than Philosophy based upon my personal experience. I have a supply from specials but don't know that I would buy them at the full price. One of my goals for this year is not to buy more "beauty" items until that item is nearing its end.

Buying something? Find something, either one or two items, to leave the house. Don't add to the quantity; reduce it where possible regardless of what is being bought.

I see Kathleen is off to the city home to spend time with DH, and Twinny might spend some time traveling around the Virginia area if she uses Dulles on the way to Aruba. We all have our dreams, and managing our money helps those dreams more of a reality.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (SATURDAY, 1/3)

Jean, My DH is running the vacuum cleaner with a smile on his face today. When I had mentioned the Dulles airport to him, he said that is in WA. I thought he meant WA St not WA DC. That is why I said we would probably rent a car & drive down the coast (of CA & OR). DUH on my part! We have always thought about driving out west & all along the coast.

I did enjoy watching Leah today. It did snow a little overnight, Just enough to make the roads white. They were saying 3"-5" by tomorrow morning, now they say a rain/sleet/snow mixture. The salt trucks are out already.

We have friends coming to visit around noon time today. It is 1/2 price day at our local DQ on everything they make. They will be selling hundreds & hundreds of the ice cream cakes as that is a really good deal.

Off to wash the floors.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny--Dulles is located outside of Washington, DC in Virginia. It is a good site for international flights if you want to avoid O'Hare, JFK, etc. I have the choice of connecting through O'Hare or Dulles on the airline I use, but I actually prefer O'Hare when going west. Dulles is so close to my home airport that they use those small 30 passenger planes. Going to O'Hare, they use jets and the time is about the same as the slower plane to Dulles.

The rain/sleet mixture isn't good. At least, the salt trucks are out. Enjoy your visit with friends. I have some floors to wash, if you have time, but I prefer you visit with friends.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Good morning ladies:

Oh DQ ice cream cakes!!! I will sometime visit the DQ is the next town---if I am between meetings and/or church I may stop in. Limited options for food. At one time it was a vibrant and booming little town---now not so much. Although there is $$ in town. Some folks are buying up the downtown buildings and opened a new wine bar. I saw pics on FB---it is very nice. I understand they went to great lengths to shop for lovely decor.

Twinny: LOL about the mixup!!!

We had thunder rumbles last night. Some areas had lightening shows---I don't think I did. It is supposed to warm up a bit today and the sun come out---then we ready for another blast.

Yesterday I noticed gas was $1.90 Wonder how long this will last!!

Trusted Contributor

Good morning Ladies, sun it out for awhile this morning..then it's supposed to get icy,snowy etc.... tomorrow it's supposed go up to 60 degrees.......weird weather but I will take the 60 with no complaints. I know you like the snow and cold Twinny so keep it all down your way and I'd be happy this winter. Enjoy your company....I don't think I have had anything from DQ in a zillion years. I got curious about the Aruba trip you and Jean were writing about last night. Was surprised it took so many flying hours to get there so I checked from the NYC airports and it's 4 1/2 hrs from here. The fares are quite expensive though...one airline says 1800 RT. I think Karen has been there several times so maybe she will weigh in. I have never been.

Have fun with your GF shopping today Rosa and I hope that Coach wristlet is still there so it can home with you today.

Enjoy your weekend with your DH Kathleen in your "city home"... Hope the weather is good.

Not much going on here.....maybe if the mood hits me I will take down my Christmas village and get a head start on things. have a great day everyone........Marijane

Esteemed Contributor

Linda R, Our DQ has been in our town since the 60's. DH & I used to go their when we were dating for an ice cream treat. It is right next to McDonald's & I thought it would go out of business, but it is doing a booming business. They serve a large menu. All kinds of burgers, hotdogs/chili dogs, chicken strip bskts, shrimp bskts. very good grilled chicken salads & dozens of ice cream treats. Gas for $1.90 WOW! It went down in our town to $2.21 yesterday. That is a true bargain.

Jean, I know that you have mentioned that you prefer O'Hare & now I see why. We have done O'hare twice & it was a zoo. The first time was on our 20th wedding anniv. & our first time flying together. Neither of us knew what to expect. The 2nd time was almost 9 years ago when our DS & DDIL got married in St. thomas.

Marijane, 60's is nice this time of year. We were very mild in Dec. & only got .1" of snow. Last night it was barely a dusting. Our yearly snowfall count for this year is 38 snowfalls. So far we have had 4. Yes, Aruba is expensive but we have several friends that go yearly & love it. The airline quoted me around $5,100-$5,600 r/t (for 2) at an all inclusive which we would do. We are still searching for something that would be easy for me to handle. AIC is nice as we don't have to be searching at mealtimes. The tree came down on Thurs. but I leave my snowmen up until I get sick of seeing snow!

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny--I think O'Hare is well organized for its size with excellent directions to various terminals and gates. I also like its selection of restaurants if you have to spend some time there. It has a more open feeling that Dulles which has a more congested feeling. The corridors to the gates are more narrow than at O'Hare and in the concourses I have to use, most places to eat are fast food type or so crowded that you have to eat in a seat at one of the gates. I think it is a question of what you prefer. Most airline sites have airport maps which can be helpful in advance. I love the walk from the F gates to the B gates at O'Hare. There are benches decorated by local art students with wide windows that look out over the runways.

Marijane--The weather is nasty for you and our weather is getting that way despite the 60 forecast for tomorrow. I just saw some big trucks piled up in the freezing rain and roadways on I-68 in the mountainous area. I priced the Aruba trip for airfare only, and it was less than $700 roundtrip from my home airport connecting to Dulles for the non-stop to Aruba. That is a real bargain. Of course, that fare may be gone now but I was pricing far out as the cheap seats go fast. I was surprised as it is less than a round trip to Hawaii from my home airport located 85 miles from where I live.

LindaR--That is really a big savings on gas. It is $2.39 here in my town, and $2.18 in the city. I think it is good that entrepreneurs take the financial risk of revitalizing a dying area. Sometimes, it really pays off.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm now actually considering Aruba down the line. I just checked vacation packages for one week using a hotel that has a 4 star out of 5 star rating on Trip Advisosr's reviews.

One person for airfare and hotel: $1859; two people for airfare and hotel: $2472. I didn't bother with the activities as I wanted to see the base price for a good hotel and transportation.

I remember going to Australia using frequent flier miles. The hotel, food, and activities for a week was slightly over $3,000.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon! Thanks for getting us started Jean, and providing some more shopping tips. I am trying to de-clutter and donate before I buy again. So far, my progress is quite slow. But, at least I am not rushing to order things or go out and shop for clothing and shoes. I do need to go out to the grocery store since DH's daughter and family will be having dinner here tonight. I have food, but not what they want to eat, so..... No problem as I need some other groceries as well.

That is pretty funny about the mix-up twinny. Hope you enjoy the Dairy Queen, etc., and also hope you find a great place for your anniversary trip.

I'll be back in a minute.

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--A Dairy Queen would be good right now. We don't have one here in town but there are some in the city. I don't remember the last time I was at a Dairy Queen. Enjoy the dinner with DH's daughter and family. I'm with you on the de-cluttering and donation before buying. Who knows? I might find some forgotten gems of items in the process.