Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS; ONE DAY AT A TIME (SAT., JUNE 12)

Greetings, shopping friends. I took in part of AM Style but no purchases were made. I confess I am one who has been around for the Q's 35 years. I hate to think how much money I have spent with them in that time.. 

Lines have come and gone as have hosts. I think my favorite  years was the year in which the Q visited each state and featured products from that state.l  I would love to see a simillar proramming effort again.

I made out my order for groceries to tide me over unti I leave for Alaska. I think I misjudged my last order and didn't order enough. I'll be picking it up tomorrow and it will include some foods to tide me over unti I have time to go to the city upon my return.

Someone asked if I was excited about the trip. My excitement usually exists at the initial planning stage, and then when I leave for the airport as that is reality setting in.

I likely would have ventured out sometime during the past three days, but we have had rain until today. In some areas the rain was so intense, that flooding occured in places not flooded at any time. The Interstate 35 miles from me was closed because one section was flooded. A town near another Interstate found its business section flooded for the first time, and the Interstate near it also had a closure. We were fortunate to escape the flooding.

I hope each of you has a great weekend. If you shop, shop wisely!

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS; ONE DAY AT A TIME (SAT., JUNE 12)

Hi Everyone!

KomKat---Heavy rain always makes me nervous with the chance of flooding.  It seems like it all gets crazy with a blink of an eye. I just watched two episodes on the Weather Channel last night. It was some multiple episode special on storms that turned deadly in a few hours. I don't know why this interests me but I keep hoping that it will provide some useful information if we would find ourselves in such a state. 

I finally did the grocery shopping yesterday. It was much later than I usually go and I will avoid that hour in the future trips. I estimate that my bill increased 30%. Bacon was $9 /lb but thankfully I found Jimmy Dean 12oz on sale for $4. It went on from there. I stocked up on those tuna pouches for my "mini meal" days and some fruit and yogurt. I will have to tweak the budget (again) to accomodate these increases in food and utilities.

I did watch AM Style this morning. I didn't order anything because I haven't received the TSV from a few weeks ago and the other capris that I ordered are still a question mark for keeping. I always enjoy Leah while I'm drinking my coffee.

Finally, we hung the DynaTrap 1/4 acre unit in the garage. Since it's predicted to be another bad season for wasps, etc. I was trying to head off a few of those pests from entering the house. I already have had 3 wasps. I'm allergic to bee stings and it's bad for the dogs. It seems that garage door is up a third of the time with all the outside work we do so hepefully this will be a help.

The hubby has been dealing with some nasty poison "something" from the tree cutting last weekend. Today it looks like he might be starting to heal. At least the swelling looks down but he's still taking hs medication.

Have a good afternoon/evening.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Glad you have the Walmart pick-up scheduled.  I just had a pick-up last Sunday, but I am also having one tomorrow.  Mostly, not food items (things for the house, toiletries, etc.).  I really like having them do the "leg work" for me -- not sure when I will go back into the store in person.  I have been going to a couple of grocery stores most weeks, just not Walmart.

I had heard/read about prices going up, Fressa -- especially for meat.  Just have to tell you that I didn't even buy any meat, and my grocery bill for one person increased substantially.  Like you, I will just make adjustments to the budget. 

Good idea to avoid the flooding Jean and Fressa.  That is certainly not an issue here since we haven't had much rain at all so far this year.  It is very hot here -- 109 degrees already and 110 predicted.  I went swimming for the first time in ages yesterday, and it was very nice.  The pool wasn't at all crowded, and we were able to keep "socially distanced".  

My lunch with Bev and friends today was great.  She invited a few more ladies, so there were eight of us in a private room.  We met very early (11 a.m.), so there were not many others around in the rest of the restaurant.  It was so nice that we decided to go there again in the future.

I saw a little of AM Style, but didn't find any items I couldn't resist there or during product review. When deciding on an outfit for today, I found a pair of capris in my closet that were ready for donation.  Lets just say that I had a huge number of choices.  Buying new clothes is just plain dumb under the circumstances.

I haven't been shopping here as long as you have, Jean.  But, it is close to 30 years.  I actually attended two of the "50 in 50" shows (one in Maryland and one in DC), and really enjoyed them.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice evening and sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda

Honored Contributor

Hello all, I watched about 90 minutes or so of AM Style and then got an early start mowing my grass.  I beat the heat but there no avoiding the humidity Woman Very Happy

I had some excitement yesterday.  In my defense I'd like to state that I grew up in the inner city.  Also, I will be in this house 20 years come fall and have never had this experience before Woman Embarassed

So, it was about noon and I walked out on the patio to check the water in the bird bath, squirrel bowl and kiddie pool.  You know how you look at something and then when you are seeing hits you?  I was adding water to the kiddie pool and looked toward the back of the yard and said, oh how precious a fawn is in the field.  It hit me that the fawn was walking in front of my evergreen shrub ---- inside my yard.  I have a fenced in yard.  Side and back is 4 foot chain link.  One side privacy fence - 6 feet.

I stood there for a minute like I had turned to salt, lol.  The fawn lay down under a shrub and my mind starting racing.  How did a fawn get in my yard?  Why is the fawn in my yard?  Where is the mother?  Is the fawn sick?  If the fawn is sick who do I call?

It's funny today - yesterday it was exciting and overwhelming at the same time.  So I came in the house, got  a clean stainless steel dog bowl and walked back towards the shrub - not too close and I set the water bowl down.  It didn't dawn on me to take any photos.  I assumed the fawn got in the yard through the gap between my fence and the fence post that has bent a bit over the years from the mulberry tree.  I have the gate locked with a bike chain.

I walked back into the house and called my sister and said in a panic, there's a fawn in my yard.  At this time the fawn decides it wants to go and it can't remember where it came in so it's bumping it's face on the chain link fence.  I walked out and it ran along the chain link fence (side of yard) and bumps into the fence.  I reached down to pick it up.  Did you know a fawn makes a sound kind of like a lamb or goat?  

I carried the fawn to the back of the yard and it's yodeling the whole time.  I don't know where the parent is and I'm thinking that my neighbors are going to think I'm slaughtering something in my back yard.  I shush the fawn and stand it by the gap and it runs into the school field behind the house.  Incidentally there was another one far afield but I didn't meet that one.

I immediately felt bad that I even acknowledged the fawn's presence because it was hot and sunny and my yard was so shady.  The fawn lay next to the fence that doesn't run the full length of the schoolfield on the side of the field that borders a busy street where people get mad at you if you are going the speed limit which is 60 MPH.  They want you to drive faster.

Boy me and St Francis were in conversation for almost 3 hours.  I kept an eye on the fawn from my upstairs with binoculars.  I can't tell you how relieved I was when Mom came and got the fawn.  Of course she was standing by the part of the field on this side of the berm with no fence.  I took this picture from my backyard.  I used zoom because she was about 5 houses down from me.  Check out the traffic behind her.  I hope she found her way home okay.  

IMG_3270 (400x300).jpg

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Birdmama---

That was a great pic. Boy, that traffic is scary. We have does that place their newborns behind our back hedges. They know to stayink  put until mama comes to get them. I read that they have no scent on them which protects them for 3 or 6 months from other predators. I think that deer must establish a food path and that's how they remember where the baby is. I know we had one that her mama was very late in coming to retrieve her. It does make a person a nervous wreck waiting. So nice to see them together.