Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (NEW YEAR'S EVE)

[ Edited ]

Good morning, shopping friends.The year is drawing to a close and a new year is dawning. Whether we make resolutions or not, thinking positively throughout the coming year will help us face and overcome any adversity.

I saw a thing on Facebook where it was suggested that you take a slip of paper and write on it any positive thing that has happened and then put it in a jar as a minimum of once a week. It was then suggested at the end of the year that you empty the jar and read all the good things that have happened during the year. You coulld also do this when facing a challenge and need a reminder of the good things.

For some reason, I awakened at 3:30am and couldn't go back to sleep. I got up at 4am and had some hot chocolate thinking it might help relax me for more sleep. Back to bed I went but at 5am with sleep not happening, I got up.

I tackled the bathroom and cleaned it, watched the TSV being presented while having a cup of coffee with breakfast. I talked myself into an hour of exercise on the bike but was a little tired, so despite getting in my hour I didn't quite accomplish the distance or calories burned in past times according to the FitBit.  Doing this inside is far better than doing it outside in 8 degrees or bundlng up to travel a long distance to a gym. The closest one is 50 miles away.

I guess I'm trying to concentrate on potential health benefits. I've basically maintained uring the year but for a change did not gain any weight during the holidays. Instead, I lost 3 pounds despite having my favorite  holidays foods.

Have a great New Year's Eve. Celebrate the coming New Year in the way that works best for you....and if you shop, shop wisely.

2017.JPG

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (NEW YEAR'S EVE)

Good morning ladies, hope all is well.

Jean -  Thank you for starting us today.  I am sorry you did not sleep well.  You will probably need a nap soon.  

I need to work on my health this year.  I go to the doctors next month and I know he will not be pleased.  I have to say I am not pleased either.  

We are celebrating New Years Eve at home.  I gave up going out many years ago.   I just hate the crowds and the noise.  I can sit at home all day and never turn the tv on for background noise.  I really have learned to love the quiet.

Okay enough of that.

Day before yesterday we took all the Christmas decorations down.  Glad we did, or the outside lights would be up until March.  We were at minus one this morning and it is still very cold out now,  I think this time last year we may have been in the high 40s or low 50s.   In Pittsburgh they have First Night Celebration, I think about going, but hate the thought of being outside in this weather.  They actually hace moved some of the schedule music and activities indoors tonight.  I hope they get their usual crowd.

Well need to do a few things around here.  Hope everyone has a great afternoon.

Esteemed Contributor

Susan--We  are about 3 to 4 hours apart, so I can truly appreciate the weather conditions that might motivate people to celebrate inside or at  home. I think health is a great focus for the coming year, and that includes daily habits that might make a big difference.

MyFitnessPal tells me that I can eat 400 calories more because of the exercise I did today. I guess the question becomes "Is a minute on the lips worth 60 minutes of exercise to compensate for eating the item?" The answer to that might motivate not eating the item on a regular basis especially if it is a treat and not really an essential part of healthy eating.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

, Jean - Good job on the excersising.  I need to start that again.  I do well with it, them I just fall off the wagon.  Well, not only did I fall off the wagon, it ran over me.  

We did have the sun break out here, it looks so nice now, but it is still very cold out.  I am not looking forward to walking the dog.  It is only a short walk ( she is having problems with her legs and back) but no less it will still be cold.

I just remembered, I need to do my checkbook and write 2018 on the next pack of check.  This way I don't have to worry about writing the wrong year for a while.  

Have a good afternoon everyone.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Sorry you did not sleep well.  Those times when I exercise as long, but not as well as "usual" really bug me.   But, I guess that is the way it goes, particularly when you are not feeling up to par due to lack of sleep, illness or whatever.  Glad you are continuing with your bike, and you don't need to go outside in that miserable cold (that is my opinion of very cold weather, which i know is not universal.) 

I watched a presentation of the TSV despite not seriously considering a purchase.  I do like the idea of home exercise equipment, but I really don't have the space, and the gym is very near the house.  The presenter was pretty good in enticing me to purchase (I particularly like being able to exercise with videos, etc.) until he said "it is only about 40 pounds.)  That might not sound like much to many, but I know it would not be that easy for me to move it in and out of the living room where I would want to use it.

Good luck with your health resolutions, Susan.  Health is so important for all of us.   I have times when I enjoy the "sounds of silence" around the house as well.  But, then again there are times when I really like music, TV, or whatever.   They are doing a marathon of "Downton Abbey" on one of our TV stations, so I watched some of that yesterday evening as I did my weekly financial review.  I really enjoyed that show.

I'm back from church and headed to the gym soon.  The pastor announced that despite having a higher amount of pledges for next year, they are laying off the custodian, and the associate pastor position will be eliminated in July.  I feel particularly sad about the custodian since the associate minister will be transferred to a different congregation.

Unlike much of the country, we are having nice weather today (highs in the 70's, lows in the 40's).  I have no New Years Eve plans, and I'm not at all sure I'll be awake at midnight.  But, I will be visiting DH this afternoon and hope he will be smiling.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Have a good day everyone, and Happy New Year!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Susan--I also do the same with my checks. I had  done that before logging back into the Q site. It certainly eliminates the problem of writing the wrong year.

Linda--I would love to have your weather right now. The few community and church activities scheduled for tonight for New Year's Eve have been cancelled because of the cold. True, they were being held indoor but they didn't want to risk people having problems and getting stuck in near zero degree temps later this evening. You keep yourself active so I really don't see the need for your purchasing the TSV. Enjoy your visit with DH. Here's to more smiles!!

I spent part of the afternoon reading, as well as putting 2018 on the current pad of checks I am using. I don't use many checks so the habit of writing the correct year should be in place by the time this pad of checks is used up.

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, lack of sleep is not fun.  I have been sleeping better for 2 Months, since it has gotten colder.  In fact I didn't want to get up this morning for church.

It is cold, but the sunshine feels great.

Susan,  most of my exercising  now is up & down the basement steps & housework.

Linda L,   I took  down all of  our Christmas things yesterday & the house is back to normal except for several snowmen.  

We are soon heading out to our friends.  The restaurant is quite small but has good food & won't be noisy.  Then we will be back home welcoming in the New Year in the hot tub.  We have a wine cooler tonight & on our anniversary in March.

Happy New Year to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny--Enjoy your dinner out and, later, the hot tub and wine chiller. You are so correct that going up and down stairs and doing housework is exercise appropriate for you. People often underestimate the value of that type of exercise.

Honored Contributor

I took a nice sized dose of Delsym last night and managed to get about 9 or 10 hours of sleep.  Considering I walked the floor the night before, I'm still not 100% rested, lol.

It's cold here and short of taking care of the outside birds and squirrels, I have no desire to leave the house.  I think I have enough Delsym in the bottle to get a small dose tonight and then I will have to leave the house tomorrow to restock a couple of things.

Decades TV is running a series marathon of Diagnosis Murder.  It's an easy show to have on in the background.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--I hope you feel better soon and get more sleep tonight. Hopefully, you won't have any problems tomorrow when venturing out. I like Diagnosis Murder but haven't seen it for a couple of years. I'm watching "The Night Shift" season 3 on Netflix. As far as I'm concerned, it is good entertainment for a cold day and evening.