Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (Monday, 2/16)

Good Morning, Ladies! Looks like there is extremely cold weather in several parts of the country, and storms are there or soon on the way. Please stay safe.

Glad to read that you were able to reschedule one of your appointments relatively quickly, Jean. Hope that works with the other one as well. Looks like you made a very good decision postponing the appointments given your weather.

Our church dinner was nice, plenty of okay (not great food), but many people in this area like food that is a bit bland, etc., that is my opinion (the bland part). Since there was a program before we ate, it turned out that it worked well for dinner, and neither of us felt like having a snack or meal later. I was able to watch some news, and later part of the SNL show as well as Downton Abbey. So, all was good. We had some rain yesterday, but it is sunny again today, and it should get up into the 70's.

Waves to Jean, Kathleen, Arlene, twinny, pinky ann, Susan, Marijane, LindaR, Rosa (hope you had a fun weekend), Karen, and all of our posters and readers.

DH has a routine eye doctor's appointment this afternoon, and I plan to go to Curves later. Also plan to take a walk and do a little grocery shopping. They are having asparagus on sale at the grocery store, and DH and I love asparagus.

Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (Monday, 2/16)

Oops -- I see that Jean started our thread just before I did. I have copied her post below.

Good morning, shopping friends. The snow has begun so now we wait for the final outcome. The forecast for the week doesn't look good as one night has a predicted low of 14 below and that is regular temperature and not wind chill. Obviously, there is not one school in session in our state today and the outlook for the week looks dim in some areas.

I did manage to get my CAT scan and cardiology appointments rescheduled to February 27, a Friday. The next Monday March 2 is when I'm supposed to have the cystoscopy. I would have preferred to get these appointments out of the way but Octavia dictated otherwise.

I forgot that this was President's Day and went to the Post Office to mail my water bill. If it doesn't get there the day before it is due, the OCD secretary is already preparing "shut off" notices to be sent out on the day they are due if not received. The road was clear when I left but by the time I returned, the road was covered, so I scheduled that little trip well. At least, the bill is in the USPS hands.

The convection toaster oven that I ordered from Amazon via Prime Shipping on a backlist type of order shipped a month earlier than expected and is supposed to arrive tomorrow. This is one time I don't mind FedEx missing a delivery schedule like it did the last time. I also have an Amazon Subscribe and Save automatic order in the process. I have to check and see what carrier is handling it. Again, it can be delayed also.

This Thursday night, it is expected to reach 16 below regular temperature and not wind chill. This is a week I just want behind me. Other than the Amazon items, the only thing I have in the process of shipping is the SG top I ordered in a smaller size to see how it works for me now that I've lost weight. I already have it and love it but it is just too big now. I guess that is good but the top is not a year old. If the new size works then I won't be worrying about new sizes for a long time as I have to lose a lot of weight to change sizes.

I hope each of you is having a safe and productive day. If you shop, shop wisely one day at a time.

A house is not a home unless it has a cat!. ...Thus said Midnight!
QVC Member since merger with CVN.... many dollars and products ago!

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry you couldn't get the appointments on the same day, Jean. But, I'm glad you don't need to wait for too long. Those temperatures are unbelievable. Hope you don't have any problems with your water bill. That secretary sounds like something else.

Hope the top in the smaller size works for you.

I'm pretty upset with the mail order pharmacy and the Post Office. Very long story short, the mail order pharmacy delayed filling DH's prescription -- said the doctor hadn't answered questions, then said he didn't have a prescription, etc., etc. They finally filled the prescription, and he should have received it on time (this started at the end of January). However, the post office about 25 miles away send the prescription to the incorrect post office (about 100 miles away), and now they are saying he should receive the prescription on Wednesday. Thank goodness it isn't something critical, but.....

Trusted Contributor

Hello Ladies, sunny but very cold day here, I think it's up to 5 degrees, this morning was 3 below with w.c. -17. We will be getting the snow tomorrow Jean...and another storm Sunday..if so on Sunday will make the 5th weekend in a row for a storm ......I think we only have 6 more weeks so it's getting closer. Sorry you had to cancel your apps for today ,hopefully in a few weeks will be a better chance for better weather.

LindaL sorry about the mix up and wrong delivery to the PO for your DH's meds and that they will arrive Wednesday.

LindaR I always wait when I see a deer crossing the road in front of me as there is usually another or several right behind and if it's a smaller one the momdad always can been in the trees watching that they make it across safely. I noticed a coyote around here the other day.....looked pretty crummy to me...the deer were no where to be seen. When I opened the door he went running.

Not much doing here I plan to stay in today, Sat. I had bought a whole cooked chicken for tonight...yesterday I made some chicken soup..it was to brutal to go out with the winds whipping around. I am just thankful we kept our power on.

Hope you are feeling better Kathleen. Have a nice day everyone....Marijane

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--I managed to get the appointments on the same day; cardiology cooperated, so the CAT scan is at 11am and the cardiology appointment is at 1pm. All is good except I would have preferred to get the CAT scan out of the way. Oh well, it won't change any diagnosis. I'm glad that your dinner worked out well despite it being bland. I don't use mail order pharmacy as I'm always afraid of mistakes like that. You would not believe the things sent to my zipcode (correct) but end up being sent to a place with the same name in a neighboring state. I guess the zip code scanner didn't read it right and manual handling of it resulted in it being sent to the town of the same name but also nearer the sorting center.

LindaR--The deer are a real problem here and contribute to our high car insurance rates in the state. Several years ago, we had a teacher who hit ten deer in one year. They often jump up on the road in a sharp curve and hard to avoid.

Marijane--It is 6 degrees right now. When I went to town, it was colder but you got so numb that you couldn't feel the cold so much. I can understand why people freeze to death or get frostbite, etc. when out for extended times; they get numb and don't realize how much the cold is affecting them. There was an individual on Facebook who was complaining about the schools being closed here for the extreme temperatures, but today the person was so happy that her grandson's school in Atlanta was closing as a preventative measure. Duh!!

I love it as they are doing something I realized. They are warning people that using salt is ineffective at these temperatures. I believe it even says that on the salt bag, etc. for salt designed for ice, etc.

I just fixed a salad for lunch and used the Walden Farms zero cal, zero fat dressing in the chipotle flavor. Oh, is it ever good; is it ever hot!!! I guess I'll be spending time with the Kindle again this afternoon.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Jean one of my sisters lives in the Atlanta area and if they get 2 flakes of snow everything closes..I have to laugh as people go to Florida in the winter who live there because it gets too cold where they are. They really don't hve the equipment to deal with the weather as we do. I know here they don't put salt down on the roads when tne temps are so low as it does nothing and a waste. I never had had chipotle salad dressing may have to look for it.
Esteemed Contributor

Marijane--I was in Atlanta during "The Storm of the Century." They had reason to close down then. I was on the 50+ floor of the Peachtree and had a great view of the interstates, etc. Nothing was moving as the snow was horrible. People were checking in but the people who were planning to check out couldn't because nothing was moving. No food trucks, etc. were getting in. Now, that was a problem. What I thought was interesting was that this woman thought it was terrible for our schools to close when conditions were far worse delighted in knowing Atlanta was closing so her grandchild would be safe. Would she have the same opinion locally if her grandchild were in our school system?

Our problem right now is the combination of the cold with the snow. All the medical facilities have closed except for emergency rooms or in-patient services. People are being advised to stay off the roads except for emergency reasons, yet there are people out and about for non-emergency reasons. They are the ones that create problems and tie up roads with wrecks making it difficult for emergency vehicles to get by them when transporting others or even being able to safely reach the wreck itself when there is a chain reaction wreck.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Ten deer in one year---oh my goodness. It is cold here but nothing like six degrees. It was raining earlier and the wind is whipping. If the wind dies down it will really be cold.

I saw an ad for SHIRACHI flavored catsup Was thinking of Kathleen!. I know several ladies enjoy the spicy and hot!.

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!

Well, the forecast of 3-6" of snow tomorrow was changed into ice pellet showers today. What we actually got was plain ol' rain and cold - it's only 32° out. I have no intention of going anywhere; the cold has my sciatica acting up again (this is getting really old), so I'm going to just relax with a good book and play with my Kindle. I can't even imagine enduring the cold temperatures that some of you are. {#emotions_dlg.scared} As it is, I think I'm going to move in with LindaL until winter is over! Gosh, I miss Hawaii...

You're right, Marijane - people panic here are the very mention of snow, and the stores get mobbed.

There was a woman from my church who was telling me how she was stuck in her car on the highway during that storm, as were many others. She said people were very nice and helpful, with those who had food sharing, and someone who had an RV let them use the bathroom facilities. If I hear it's going to storm I don't go anywhere, just stay in - I always have a good supply of food for both me and the critters.

Glad to hear you got your appointments rescheduled, Jean, but can't Midnight help you with the cat scan? Wink

I ordered several cases of cat food from Amazon as the price was really good. Well, for some reason they decided to send it USPS, and my local PO is so bad that I never, ever deal with them if I can help it - my PO box is in the next town. Sure enough, I checked the delivery status, and it says they couldn't deliver because "the business at this address was closed." {#emotions_dlg.mad} Time to call and make yet another complaint; I think I'm going to write to the Postmaster General about that place. I've hand trouble with the post office since I moved here, and I'm not the only one.

Jean, I forgot it was President's Day as well. I have a couple of used books that I ordered from Amazon and am looking forward to receiving. I started a new cozy series that I got at the library, and have been really enjoying them, but they don't have all the books in the series. After I read them I'll donate them, which works out well - when I want magazines or books they sell (usually for the troops) they let me take them for free.

Well, I think I'll take a shower and curl up in bed with a book. Since there's no forecast of pestilence of any kind for tomorrow I ordered my paczki from Publix to be picked up tomorrow; I'll freeze them and enjoy them over the next few weeks.

Have a blessed day, everyone!

Respected Contributor

Marijane, everything shuts down here if there is any snow as well. It's pretty funny when you move from North to South, but then when you see how the South drives on snow you will be glad everything closes down. My DH had bought a SUV way long time ago before he was mine and went to "help" people when roads were bad to pull them out when they were stuck. You can guess what happened and he never heard the end of it. lol

I'm feeling much better today, made it to work on time.

I was stressed out about the insurance but didn't care -went to the Dr anyway. I've been on DH's ins forever so I just didn't tell them I have new - his has not been deactivated just yet. Today I finally talked to my new insurance and my Dr and clinic I went to are both covered so I'm very happy about that.

I hate mail order too but it's so much cheaper - they actually penalize if we don't use it on DH's plan. No telling what the new plan will be but it is less money for a lot better coverage. Another thing to be grateful for my new job. Speaking of job, my lunch break is about up. Hugs to all.