Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (MONDAY, SEPT. 16)

Greetings, shopping friends. It is a beautful but cooler day, a pleasant contrast to the 90s of last week.

Right now, I have no temptation to shop for wants. I'm still waiting for the final bill to hit for all those hospital and doctor charges. I have an excess of clothing, shoes and handbags so despite an urge to have something new what I have will do me. After all, I am a living testimony to the 80/20 rule in that I wear 20 percent of my items 80 percent of the time.

My cardioversion is tentatively scheduled for October 1, a great way to start a new month.  I just want to get it over with and hope it is a successful procedure for me but like anything, the success rate varies.

I work tomorrow so today, I am doing light odds and ends around the house. It will be good to get back to work for a better sense of normal life.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (MONDAY, SEPT. 16)

Hi Jean - thanks for getting our thread started today.  My mother is also getting the first of the medical bills from her fall.  Yikes.  I'm feeling for both of you.  I read The 80/20 Principle book a year or two ago.  It was interesting and really does apply to so much in our lives.  Glad to hear that parts of your life are getting back to normal.

Yesterday I had a nice surprise when a childhood friend of mine dropped by for a quick visit.  We had fun getting caught up on everything.  Today I am just going to be doing regular chores around the house and working on my Bible study.  It seems like I'm a bit behind in everything.  No shopping for now.

Take care everyone!  ~  Charlene

Esteemed Contributor

I will keep my fingers crossed that the procedure works for you. I have multiple health issues so I try to keep things "normal" between doctoro visits, labs, etc.

I picked up more paint chip samples when we were at the hardware store this weekend. My husband wanted a heavy duty blower for our never ending leaf project for the Fall. We also were replacing parts on the chain saw. Again.....more knowledge than I ever wanted to store at the back of my mind. LOL I am making progress on my DIY project. I haven't purchased any clothing/shoe item since I started it. I'm looking forward to having all the space to see everything we have visible  and in one room. I just keept repeating to myself that it will be nice when it's done. Cross your fingers that "done" comes before the snow flies.

I spent Saturday on the side hill digging out our steps and putting down a marble chip path between them. I found that the marble chips keep some of the wildlife away from the house, especially at night. It looks ready for the Fall. My knees and legs were feeling it on Sunday. I think I pulled that muscle.... again. I've been trying to scale back the gardens and the outside maintainence each year. I could see any improvement this year but I think I have more work to do on that project.

I have a killer migraine today but I'm still determined to get some small paperwork items handled and tackle the laundry. Our female GSD has a "boo-boo" on her paw and doesn't like keeping a bandage on it. I now have mini baskets of medicines/medical supplies for each human and dog in the the household.

Hope everyone has a good Monday!   

Esteemed Contributor

Charlene--I do hope your mother's medical bills are ones that are easily managed. It is unreal what some of these bill add up to. There is an individual here whose son had to be lifeflighted to a Cincinnati hospital for a specialized treatment which involvedd 7 days in the hospital and in intensive care much of the time. The bill came to over $850,000.  It is good that you had an opportunity to visit with your childhood friend.

Fressa--You certainly  are being productive with your DIY projects around your home. I think the trick to knowing what you have is the ability to see it all, so I do hope your project is a successful one. I do hope the migraine doesn't last long. Has the work and stress contributed to it? You are so correct that it helps to keep things normal between medical appointments.

I've been watching "St. Elsewhere" on Hulu. This is a timeless classic the quality of which is rarely matched by today's tv shows.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Glad to hear your procedure is scheduled and you will be subbing tomorrow.  How nice to get things back on track.  Really hope your insurance comes through for those medical bills.  Hope that is true for your Mom as well, Charlene.  

Happy you were able to visit with your friend, Charlene.  Hope it is a nice, easy day for you.

Sorry about that migraine, Fressa.  You are certainly a busy lady.  Good luck with your DIY projects -- very ambitious.

Although I am working on it, I have way too much "stuff", particularly clothing and shoes, but many other things.  I am starting to plan what I'll be taking on my trip, and discovered shoes I forgot I purchased and have never worn.  Just plain crazy.  I have decided to donate a couple of pairs that have never been used to the local thrift shop.  Hopefully, someone else is size 6 1/2.  

Everything went okay at "strong bones" today.  There were only three of us, and the lady who offended the other place we met was not among us.  I am pretty sure she was informed of the change in location by the lady who is having her knee replacement today, but no way I can find out.  The two ladies who did attend are really nice and kind.

Today the some of the bookclub members are meeting for lunch (no book discussion, but....), and I will be driving my friend Jo Ann.  Later, I will be taking a pair of jeans I ordered to a seamstress to be shortened.  I knew they would be too long, but the fit is excellent otherwise.  While they showed them (D&Co. on special sale) cuffed up, that is not a look I enjoy.  The seamstress was recommended on our community website and is very reasonable.  I can (and often do) hem regular pants by hand, but I don't own a sewing machine and don't want to tackle jeans.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Honored Contributor

Hello Jean @KonaKat  I'm glad that you are scheduled for the cardioversion.  Am I recalling correctly that you've had it done once before?  If so, it worked the first time and prayers are being said that the second time is also the charm.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Charlene @cerb  I'm glad that you were able to have a nice visit with your childhood friend.  Enjoy Bible and be patient with yourself.  Rome was not built in a day.

Honored Contributor

Hi @Fressa I thought I DIY'd Woman Surprised

When you're knee deep in a project all you can do is remind yourself that one day it will be done and beautiful.

Honored Contributor

Hi Linda @LindaLatte  I've been pretty good this year about my shoe habit.  Short of a pair of fisherman type wedge sandals (not high heels Woman Very Happy) I've been able to resist the urge to add to what I have.  I think taking inventory of my boot collection while considering the recent Clarks TSV bootie was just what I needed.

I hope you and JoAnn have a nice time at the book club meeting.

Honored Contributor

The company that my sister works for allows employees to accumulate a maximum amount of personal time and when the employee goes over, the company takes the time away and pays you for it.

She's decided to pepper in some long weekends and secured holiday time off through the end of the year.  To that end, she had today off and I said, let's do something to recognize your 5 year service anniversary at that place. 

She came over this morning and we went out to breakfast.  I then said, you wanna go to Kmart?  We browsed the store and each of us bought a bag of Brach's candy corn (reminds us of Ma).  I found some bath towels on sale - pretty pink and a pretty sherbert orange color.  They will be the right pick me up in the dead of winter. 

She spotted a top that looked nice on her (I made her try it on) and I said, can I buy that as a small anniversary gift?   They had a great sale on 18" doll clothes that will fit one of my GN's beloved dolls.  Each of us picked up a doll outfit and I told my sister, you tend to give the presents while I give the cash - just add this to your gift pile for the kid, lol.

There were also some great sales on toys that we bought to donate to charities for the holidays.   

She needed a 70" round tablecloth so we went to Walmart on the way back to my house.  Wow, no matter what Walmart I visit, it always looks kinda messy.

We found her a tablecloth and then headed back to my house. 

I bought a pair of Candle Impressions damask pumpkin stacks that I had unboxed and tested once to make sure the timer function was working.  My sister saw the set and said, wow are those pretty.  I said, want one?  So I showed her how to set the timer, told her the batteries were brand new and wrapped it up in tissue paper.

I didn't need two and I like that we each have one, lol. 

It was a nice way to spend a few hours Woman Happy