Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (MONDAY, OCT. 17)

Hi Everyone!

It's cool and cloudy with some wind gusts. The leaves have been falling for a few days/ and turning colors on the trees. It is at freeze levels during the night so I was outside bringing all glass wind chimes and gazing ball in the garage. I usually miss one every year but hopegully with scaling back I got every thing.

Today is laundry day. I'll probably have more laundry tomorrow with hubby's yard clothes and some dog blankets, etc. Then I'll run the "Pure" cycle for the washer. I have a stack of bills to pay. Fall is insurance bills and AAA memberships. 

I have my car inspection this month and then the hubby's Subaru is next month. It's always a head scratcher with what really needs to be done on the car with the lack of miles. This year we're just keeping it "bare bones" to recoup from some of the house expenses. Everything should still be in good shape. If not, then I'm sure the garage will let us know. 

I've been clearing out a few clothing items as I gather laundry which seems to work for a 15 minute declutter. I can actually see what's in the Piera cubes now. WOO-HOO!! My next project is the pajama drawer. I started to replace some of the older sets but kept washing and wearing them and putting the back in the drawer. I really need to do a purge on them. That's my next bill chore.

Have a good afternoon/evening

Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (MONDAY, OCT. 17)

The weather was bitter (cold and windy) when the fence contractor came by on Sweetest Day (last Saturday) to measure everything.  I got the quote today and it's $1,500 more than the first quote.  Crazy as it sounds I think I'll be better off paying just a little more - the young man explained everything and had a great eye for detail  - he caught something regarding the transition from 4 to 6 foot fence that I missed and I've been thinking about this for 20 years Woman Very Happy

Wasn't too bad yesterday or this morning.  The wind has since picked up and it's been raining on and off.

Tis the season Woman Wink

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Fressa.  Hope you got the laundry done.  Glad you were able to bring in the decorations before the possible freeze in your area.  Your decluttering efforts are great.

Hi Bernie.  Glad you were impressed by the second bid on the fence.  I believe that the least expensive isn't always the best choice.   In fact, I rarely go with the lowest bid.  Your weather doesn't sound nice, but of course, it is the season.  Not here, however.

It was the coolest we have had in a while this morning (47 degrees when I took my walk), but they are predicting a high of 78 degrees.  The house is still comfortable without heat or AC.

Hope your  neurologist appointment went well, Glenda.  Fingers crossed your DH's appointment also goes well on Wednesday.

I don't have any new news about Barbara's DH, but her youngest DD is coming for a visit on Thursday.  I know Barbara is really looking forward to the visit.

Jean told me that she just received a heart monitor to wear for up to 30 days.

Nothing exciting going on here.  I had an OLLI class and did an exercise DVD.  Doing some cooking and cleaning this afternoon.

The internet went out in DD's area, which was a big problem for my SIL and DGD who work from home.  They are hoping to have it repaired this afternoon. 

Sleep well everyone.

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Fressa, you are busy as, usual.  It's cold here too and we had a few snowflakes today.  We pulled out a winter coat this morning for my appt.  I like to declutter often.  I feel if I have gotten my money's worth, it's out with the old and in with the new.  My dh needs encouragment.  Lol.  

Bird Mama, tis the season here too.  I am ready for fleece coats and fur lined boots.  I think you are wise to spend some extra $$ & get the job done properly. 

We didn't celebrate Sweetest Day this year as my cousin was recently widowed and I didn't want her to see a nice card & balloons which I love.  Today I treated myself to (2) 2# weights from Dic*s Sporting Goods for my home strengthening exercises.  $6.99 each as I can't find them anywhere else.  

My appt went well this morning.  I don't have to go back for a year unless I have a problem.  My neurologist is wonderful and said PT was a good choice for my shoulder pain.  Then he asked me why I was getting my IVIG in Madison and not my hometown.  I told him that 3 1/2 years ago they could no longer get what I needed.  He told me to ask my nurse at my infusion center when I go in two weeks.  He said they could tell me immediately if I can get my infusion in town.  I thought yippee!  I have been going to this infusion Center for 3 1/2 years & it would be great to drive 5 minutes across town instead of an hour drive.  As soon as I got back home I got a call from the UW Clinic saying they called my hometown clinic and they can't get the drug that I need.  Darn, but it was worth the try.

We had a good lunch at a Japanese Restaurant in the mall that we were shopping in.

Linda, our gas prices were high when we left for vacation.  Now they are down to $3.89 from $4.59.  I also forgot to tell you that when I was driving on the Blue Ridge Pkwy Drive, I could drive for two hours  or more and maybe see a car or two.  

We are going to get our flu shots tomorrow and our next Booster a few days later.  I don't want to get them the same time.  Just in case we get a reaction.

Hugs to all of you

Glenda

Esteemed Contributor

@LindaLatte wrote:

Good Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Fressa.  Hope you got the laundry done.  Glad you were able to bring in the decorations before the possible freeze in your area.  Your decluttering efforts are great.

Hi Bernie.  Glad you were impressed by the second bid on the fence.  I believe that the least expensive isn't always the best choice.   In fact, I rarely go with the lowest bid.  Your weather doesn't sound nice, but of course, it is the season.  Not here, however.

It was the coolest we have had in a while this morning (47 degrees when I took my walk), but they are predicting a high of 78 degrees.  The house is still comfortable without heat or AC.

Hope your  neurologist appointment went well, Glenda.  Fingers crossed your DH's appointment also goes well on Wednesday.

I don't have any new news about Barbara's DH, but her youngest DD is coming for a visit on Thursday.  I know Barbara is really looking forward to the visit.

Jean told me that she just received a heart monitor to wear for up to 30 days.

Nothing exciting going on here.  I had an OLLI class and did an exercise DVD.  Doing some cooking and cleaning this afternoon.

The internet went out in DD's area, which was a big problem for my SIL and DGD who work from home.  They are hoping to have it repaired this afternoon. 

Sleep well everyone.

Hugs,

Linda

Linda L, thanks for the update on Jean. It's nice that Syd's dd is coming in a few days. You are always busy too.  Last week was busy here with getting caught up with a lot of things after being gone for two weeks. 

Having overnight guests is always fun for us.   It was so nice to get away and enjoy the beautiful Fall colors.  Leaves are falling very quickly here as it's been windy for a few days.  We are hoping to go on a couple of day trips if  the leaves are still on the trees. 

Thanks for your good wishes for my dh's appt on Wednesday.

Sorry about your dd & the interrupted internet problems.  Not fun when you work from your home.

Glenda

Esteemed Contributor

Birdmama--I think it's wise not to always take the cheapest bid. Those little "oddities" with home updates/repairs are what drive me crazy until it's done the right way. We had a corner screen guard on the roof (where the garage connects to the house) that requires a specific guard. That was my "test" to see who noticed that was there and who stood there staring at it. It's those little things that can cause a $$ problem down the road. 

Godd luck with estimate #3.

Esteemed Contributor

LindaLatte--Thanks for the updates on everyone. I will keep them in my thoughts and prayers.

It's getting cooler during the day and cold at night. They are predicting snow before Halloween. It's actually snowed on St. Pat's Day as well but I'm going with my "knee" forecast. Next week is to be a week of hot temps during the day. I swear this is becasue we started the Fall outside maintainece early this year. The covers are not on the furniture and the umbrellas are still standing. I figure I'm trying a half Fall half "in between" season for a few weeks. LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny70----Your trip sounded wonderful!!! We usued to take road trips (especially when we were out West) on vacation. Not so much now but I do miss them.

Gas is still high in our area. $5.15 a gallon last week. I imagine it will bounce around for the next few weeks but it never gets down to a reasonable cost. 

Glad your appointment went well. It's always a relief when you can check that off the list. That is a shame about your drive for your medical. It seems like medical needs and prescriptions have gone back twenty years. I'm glad that we can get the care/prescription but it should be easier than itn it's current state. Just my 2 cents. 

The hubby gets his flue shot this week. I'm not sure when and where I'll get mine and which one. Eventaully, I'll get it handled. Somehow we got off schedule. The Crosstrek goes in for inspection this Friday so once that's handled and we schedule the Legacy for it's inspection then I start with the other appointments. 

Esteemed Contributor

Good Evening!  It certainly sounds like you had a great trip, Glenda.  Happy your appointment went well.  I had never heard of Sweetest Day day until I read about it here.  Not to fear -- I treat myself quite well -- actually too well. 

You have a good decluttering plan Glenda.  I have purchased hand weights from Walmart, Target, and Big 5 Sporting Goods.  There are no ******'s Sporting Goods nearby.  I purchased so many because I gave away the weights that I had in Maryland before the move to Arizona.  Also, I purchased weights in various sizes.  I really need to bump up the weight I am using to help increase my strength.

Sorry it is hot and cold there, Fressa.  It is warmer and dryer here, but may cool down with a chance of rain on the weekend. 

The senior lunch program went well today -- the salad bar is very popular (and I don't blame them) -- quite a nice selection of food and the suggested contribution is $3.00 -- sounds like a Glenda bargain.  LOL  

DD's internet came back, but my SIL is still having issues with his blood pressure and had an EKG this morning.  He is on three new medications.  Hope he will feel better soon.

My friend whose breast cancer came back is supposed to start chemo next month.  She is able to have the fluid removed from her lungs at home, and a home health aide is coming two or three times a week.  

I like the TSV boots, but I didn't order -- not a need and I don't want to spend the money on a "want".  

Waves to Bernie and all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda

P.S. I heard on the radio that gasoline prices in CA are down to $6.00 a gallon -- 30 cents less than last week.  Yikes!