Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (MONDAY, MAY 30)

Hi Everyone!

It's sunny and not too hot (yet).  I've been reading everyone's posts and tyring to keep up. We spent the long weekend trying to get the gardens and lawn in shape. I finally installed the new solar lights on the driveway and parking pad and fornt garden. They look night but are definetyl a different light than the older set. (at least it doesn't look like a runway at the air port. LOL) Then came another project of where to put the older lights. That one is still a work in progress.

I started the weeding and moving planters around in the front. The goal was to get them enclosed within the fenced gardens because the bunnies, etc. are just havinga buffet with them all. That started the hubby digging around the stone wall trying to "shiore it up" when he discovered another wall semi buried next to it. Long story short is that we have a stone semi circle that is about 6'in diameter. It used to circle a huge tree but the tree was gone shortly after we moved here. The ground shifted and filled in the most of the space. Well, it's now a stoned in garden area. We still have a bit more to do there but it looks pretty. Needless to say that we both are still having the soar legs, arms, etc. I have to move the older solar lights around  and have more weeding to tackle. One seciton at a time. Hopefully, the lights will be installed and weeding done this week. I was just happy to see the iris blooming and a couple roses. YIPPEE!

Today is laundry day and maybe paying some bills. What fun? LOL

Have a good afternoon/evening.

Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (TUESDAY, MAY 30)

Hi @Fressa  I spent hours working in the yard on Sunday.  I like the grass to look nice and I wanted my backyard to look tidy for when my sister came over on Memorial Day.  I decided to wash down the unfinished fence on Sunday to present it in the best light since my sister hadn't seen it yet.  Jesus Mary and Joseph it was worse than washing walls - I spent 90 minutes on it.  There were ink marks on so many pickets I was glad that I had a bottle of formula 9-1-1.  It's a gentle oil that doll restoration places use on vinyl dolls plus it works on vinyl car parts (inside) without destroying the color.

Yesterday my sister came over and we had a nice Memorial Day dinner.  Chili dogs, coleslaw, macaroni salad, baked beans and of course small bags of Better Made potato chips.  You can take the girl outta Detroit but you can't take Detroit outta the girl.  I gotta have Better Made chips any time I'm eating cookout type foods.

We did have beautiful 'open window' weather all weekend.  It was cooler this morning and I was able to keep the windows open until 2 pm and then I closed up the house and set the A/C.  I don't keep my house cold - 78 degrees is good.

It's gonna get hotter than I usually like it (pushing 90) later this week.  We haven't had rain in almost 2 weeks so I will probably water tomorrow.  I don't water often but when I do it's almost an all day event.  I really soak and area at a time and then scooch the oscillating sprinkler over.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Gianni Matragrano on Twitter: "Columbo in... "Crack a Smile"  https://t.co/xpS1ezFkRW https://t.co/ePEJ96z9Mq" / Twitter

Since it's been a week since I've seen or heard from the fence guy I reached out to see if he had a nice memorial day and asked about the cockeyed post that looks like the leaning tower of Pisa by the side of the garage.

Apparently he told me a story last week when he said he just needed to build the gate, hang it and install the hardware.  Today he said he needed to reset that post because it's in the wrong place.  He'll have time to do it this Thursday.  I said, it almost seems fitting that the fence will be finished on the one month anniversary of when the project started.

It's a good thing I have a sense of humor that I can tap in situations like this.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (MONDAY, MAY 30)

Good Evening!

Sounds like you and your DH have been doing a lot of work, Fressa.  Glad things are shaping up.  Hope you get the rest of your projects done and the soreness goes away soon.

You are another busy bee, Bernie.  Your Memorial Day celebration with your sister sounds great.  What can I say about your fence guy.  Really hope he finishes up the job this week.

My trip has been a lot of fun.  Our hotel in downtown Detroit was very nice, but there was so much noise, none of us got much sleep.  It was pretty bad the first night, but the second night was even worse since there was a musical festival that went on most of the night.  I think the hotel was very close to where you used to work Bernie.  

The Grand Hotel on Mackinaw Island was amazing, but also amazingly expensive.  The average room rents for $700 a night, and we had a five course dinner one night.  Finally we all understood why the tour was so pricey.  

Most of my fellow tour members are very nice and friendly, and one couple from Florida have pretty much adopted me -- we have lunch and dinner together, etc.  And, they invite others to join us if they don't have other plans.

I am glad to meet new people and see new places, plus the weather has been great.  I couldn't ask for more.

Waves to Fressa, Bernie, Glenda, Susan, and all of our posters and readers. Hope everyone has a nice evening!

Hugs,

Linda

P.S.  My new friend Judy is a shopper, and we have gone into lots of stores.  I thought prices here are high, but now I know where they are making price comparison.  I saw a nice blouse in one store, and it was $200 or so.  A simple cotton dress was $105 at another.  Yikes.

Honored Contributor

Linda @LindaLatte  Mackinaw City and Mackinac Island have always been overpriced in my opinion.  The few times I've gone over my lifetime I picked up small things and mostly spend my money on the fudge, lol.  I love me some Mackinac fudge.

I'm glad that you are having a nice time and that you hit it when the weather was nice.  

Esteemed Contributor

LindaLatte--Mackinaw Islanc was a favorite of my bf who vacations quite a bit. She and her husband are starting to slow it down a bit because they purchased a new home in SC a few years ago. Those prices take the prize for top charge. Years ago when I had a business trip to Bar Harbor there was a boutique that had hand painted sweat pants and sweat shirts. There were beautiful!!! They were also three figures each. 

Happy to hear that the weather is cooperating on your trip. Enjoy.

Esteemed Contributor

Birdmama--You and your sister know how to celebrate a holiday with those meals. My stomach was growling just thinking about all the good food. I've namever heard of Better Made chips. Do you have to order them on line or are they in your store? Utz is the home time brand here but Lays sure gives them competition.

I had the A/C on super early this year with our crazy weather. I have been shutting off the air purifier system for the night time to save a few pennies on the bill. I haven't noticed any big difference with our allergies, etc. at night time so I'll see how long we can run with this system. 

Where do you find that formula 9-1-1 cleaners? Usually, I use BioClean on the patio fence but I have to do a second coat on a few of the panels. I bet your fench looked great! Fingers crossed that he get sthe post in correctly this time and the gate installed before the leaves fall. For the life of me, I don't know how some of these people stay in business. Between the frustration ane expense and attitude it wears on a person. 

Honored Contributor

@Fressa  Yep Better Made is a small factory on Gratiot Avenue.

Better Made Snack Foods

I discovered Formula 9-1-1 by reading doll blogs.  I had a vinyl Gotz doll that had an ink mark on it and I wanted something safe for use for doll restoration.  I didn't want to mess up the fence so I figured if the product could be used for doll restoration it couldn't possibly hurt the fence.

Formula 9-1-1

I ordered it from a site named TwinPines (dot.com).  

Removes old blood, smoke, crayon, gum, food stains, grease, lipstick, tar, tape/sticker residue,wax and most other soils. Works great for cleaning brushes and airbrushes as well. Great multi-purpose product!

Product Description

• Is an environmentally friendly, non-toxic, non-abrasive, pH balanced and completely biodegradable surface cleaner.
  • Will remove sticky films from vinyl materials like boat seats, dolls like American Girl and action figures like GI Joe.
  • Is not intended for use on composition, wax, papier mache or polymer clay dolls. This cleaning product was designed specifically to solve the difficult cleaning problems encountered with porcelain, vinyl and other hard and soft plastic dolls and action figures.
  • Will remove old blood, smoke, crayon, chewing gum, food stains, grease, lipstick, tar, tape and sticker residues, wax and most other soils.
  • Is very effective for cleaning dirt, mildew or "Time Grime" from the eyes of a doll or action figure.
  • Will remove LOOSE paint or LOOSE cosmetic features (like decal eyes) from dolls and action figures as though they were dirt or soil.
  • Will remove oil-based paint from brushes and skin. Soak brushes until the paint softens, then wash.
  • Is an excellent airbrush cleaner.
  • Is an excellent jewelry cleaner.

It ain't cheap.  I paid $15.95 for an 8 ounce bottle.  This is truly a case of a little dab will do ya.  

It saved me from telling the fence guy that he had to replace 1/2 a dozen pickets.  God knows I don't need to slow this fence down anymore than it is already going (like molasses in January!).

Honored Contributor

@Fressa   I pretty much hosed the fence off first and then inspected it.  When I saw the ink marks I basically rubbed formula 9-1-1 on the offending marks and left them sit for about 5 minutes.  That fence was so filthy that I had to use one of those Campinella scrubbers sponges that QVC apparently don't sell anymore. 

Esteemed Contributor

I got some of the fudge, Bernie.  Yum!