Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (MONDAY, MAR 23)

Sydsgma, It's nice to see you posting again.  We are staying in much of the time too.  We have designated our grocery shopping day as Thursday morning.  The stores are out of lots of things, but we have been getting most of what we need.  My DH has been doing his walk since our gym is closed.  We have been out of the work force for a long time, so it's not so bad trying to entertain ourselves.  Clutter drives me nuts, so when ever we are doing a deep clean,  I get rid of anything that hasn't been used or worn in a few months.

After donating several things to St Vincent's last week, It's so nice to be able to see exactly what we have in every closet.  I was proud of my DH.  He has a more difficult time getting rid of things.  

I don't know if I mentioned it or not, but my niece has her house for sale.  That makes me a bit sad, but she remarried in January and her DH has a bigger but much older house.  The For Sale went up on Saturday.  I can see it from my bedroom window.  If the price is right, houses have been selling very quickly.  But then with the virus  that may make things worse.

Esteemed Contributor

Well, I just had some unexpected excitement.  Last August, my car would not start, and it turned out that I needed a new battery.  I had my oil changed, etc, fairly recently, and just filled up the tank on Friday.  I was headed out to pick up the lunch (or lunches) from the senior lunch program, and the car would not start.  In fact, the key fob didn't work. 

I thought maybe it could be the battery since nothing at all was working, so I pulled out my old, but seldom used Halo Bolt charger.  I put it on the battery connections, and it said push the start button and wait for the flashing green lights to go off.  Long story short, they never went off, and the car would not start.

So, I called my insurance company to have a tow truck come over (I pay for this extra service), and they sent a truck down from Tucson.  It turned out to be the battery.  Interestingly enough, the tow truck driver carefully cleaned off the steering wheel, etc. before he would even go into the car.

I knew from the last time, it was no good to turn off the car, so I asked if he thought I should take it back to Auto Zone where I got the battery (it had a warranty), and he said maybe not since in Tucson they would not even go out to put in a battery.  This happened to his wife, and he had to go and put it in.  So, I called, and Auto Zone said they could help.

I put on my disposable gloves and went into the store.  There was a red line that they said not to cross so you would be six feet away.  Long story short, they said the battery had a very low charge and replaced it under the warranty.  It took a while, but they were very nice about it.

Meanwhile, I called the senior lunch program, and they are supposed to be delivering the meal(s) this afternoon.  I was surprised they had not arrived before I came home.

Two of my dgs' are working on site, but DD said that they are considered essential businesses (HVAC and financial) so she thinks they will be okay.  My oldest DGS had gone out to the store -- pretty bored not to be working.  I know things could be a lot worse.  

I am delaying my walk until the meals come, but it is a beautiful day here.

Honored Contributor

Jean @KonaKat  These are extreme times so I can understand and feel compassion when a governor has to break news to his or her state about something so severe it could kill a large part of the population.  I felt bad for him over the weekend because the expression on his face reminded me of what I saw on my parents face, my soon to be husband's face and my own face when I watched the 9-11 footage on TV as it unfolded.

I remember thinking it was like watching an Irwin Allen disaster movie.  Your mind tells you that you are really seeing what you are seeing then you shortcut a little bit in disbelief because it's so horrific.

This takes a while to digest and get your bearings.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Given the cost of a car battery I'm so glad Auto Zone honored the warranty Linda @LindaLatte 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise