Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (MONDAY, JULY 27)

Good morning, shopping friendws. No buying planned for today; I'm not a Breezies fan so there is zero temptation there. I'm waiting for the no-shopping urge bubble to burst but right now, I'm just focusing upon getting the required things done.

I did go to the city yesterday and had dinner with a friend. While there, I went into WalMart with my mental list of one item to purchase....and left with one item purchased. I consider that a success.

Belated birthday greetings to Kathleen and any others who may be celebrating a birthday. Age is a frame of mind. As I told Kathleen on Facebook, "You're not getting older; you are getting better. Like fine wine, you improve with age."

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (MONDAY, JULY 27)

Good Morning!  Thanks for getting us started Jean.  Glad you had fun yesterday and managed to purchase only one thing in Wal-Mart.  Not sure if I have ever managed to purchase just one thing there, but I am getting better at not over-doing things.  

I will be leaving for my strong bones workout soon, and after that I plan to do a little greeting card and grocery shopping. 

My left knee, which has been achy (arthritis) for at least 20 years, outdid itself last night.  I took an ibuprofen, and slept with a pillow between my knees, but the pain was still enough to keep me awake.  I did read for a while, but it was tough getting out of bed early this morning.

I will try a few more things, but I may end up asking for a referral to a rheumatologist or something.  I may have just overdone my gym exercises yesterday.

In answer to Marijane's question -- the sock helper hasn't helped much so far.  I think it is more for people who have trouble getting on and pulling up their socks due to leg/hip problems.  I tried using it on myself, and it worked okay, but getting DH to use it is another issue.  I am getting better with helping him get on his socks and shoes.

Interesting about your pipe issues, LindaR.  Hope you can get the wall repaired.  I was thinking about your shorts comments, and I know that many older men wear them here.  To be honest, I put shorts on DH a lot since they are easier to get on and off than regular pants.  Glad you enjoyed the concert.

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, twinny, Marijane, Susan, Bernie, Charlene, Barbara, Rosa, snicks, Karen, pinky ann, Gayle, and all of our posters and readers.

Have a good day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Jean..glad you had a nice dinner yesterday...I shop at target rather thanwalmart.when we are in ax, I do my staples grocery shopping at Walmart. Doesnt school start for you soon???

linda...I think an orthopedic surgeon or sports medicine dr might help you more than a rheumatologist.  Mine only treats my ra, not any joint injuries. I hope your knee gets better. Can you figure out what exercise are aggravating it?  I ce is great help. 

Belated happy birthday, Kathleen.

it remains very hot and humid here..I am enjoying the ac. I did another " let it go" time in my guest bedroom closet...have 2 bags ready to donate.

((((((hugs)))) to all

Trusted Contributor

Good morning everyone  - Jean, Isn't it a good feeling not to be tempted to buy for a while?  I like those times when I feel really satisfied as-is.  Linda - hope your knee feels better soon.  Barbara - good for the donation bags.

My DC are in Amsterdam today and it's been raining off and on, just as it did in Brussels.  Hope they're not too bothered by it.  They took very lightweight hooded jackets, but will have to buy umbrellas if it gets too bad.

This afternoon my DH and I have errands to run.  We're making donations to our local food pantry and to the animal shelter, something we do every summer.  We're also dropping off a couple of bags of items for the Salvation Army.  In search of more items to donate, I climbed up to reach the top glassware shelf in my kitchen this morning.  Found thermos-type cups with no lids and some lids with no cups.  Also found some chipped mugs.  Those all went in the trash.  Now I've got room in my cupboard again!

We also need to stop by the bank, WallyWorld, and the grocery store.  In the meantime I'm going to do a few chores, and I think I'll do some sewing/mending of clothes.  I have a couple of items from QVC that need to be shortened, and if they're a stretchy liquid knit type fabric then I sew it by hand.  It's tedious, but not bad if I'm watching something fun on t.v.   So I think I'll do that for a while today.

Happy Monday Smiley Happy   ~   Charlene

Honored Contributor

Good morning everyone, hope everyone is/are having a great Monday.

Thanks for starting us off this morning KK. I have no interest in the TSV either; I tried the brand one time, just didn't work for me. Glad you had a nice trip to the city yesterday with dinner and a 1 item purchase at Walmart. That doesn't happen for me usually there, lol. I did order the Ninja Storm that is on clearance here at the Q, it is a b-day gift for hubby, he is such an ice cream fan that I think he will like it and I can also use it for other things also.

LL, hope you enjoy your strong bones workout today and hope knee doesn't give you any more problems. Sorry the sock helper isn't what you expected it to be, but sounds like you are working through the problem anyway.

My cold is still hanging on, as it always seems to be the way with summer colds. Still doing a lot of coughing when I lay down at night, so not a lot of sleep, and still having trouble breathing, especially with the high humidity we are having. Have been doing laundry this morning, have sheets and comforter hanging outside in the sunshine (love that). Also did a bit of pool maintenance and picking up sticks in the yard from the storm yesterday. Still have the bathrooms to clean and a quick vacuuming should do it for me today.

Sydsgma, I agree about either a sports medicine or orthopaedic surgeon would be best to see for a knee problem, my RA only looks at the RA. I did manage to donate several pairs of shorts that are now way too big for me and a few other small items, so I am feeling better about my lack of decluttering lately, lol.

cerb, your children are having a wonderful trip, I'm sure they appreciate this opportunity. I have loved reading about all the places they have been and the things they have seen. How are the goats doing?

I think I have a swimmer coming over this afternoon, and tomorrow also, so that will be fun.

Hope everyone has a great day and waving to everyone I miss in passing.

"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (MONDAY, JULY 27)c

Sticks..I did not know you are a fellow ra patient. Mine is currently giving me fits..I have had it for most of my life. I have a great group of Drs. But think the biological I am on is no longer working as well.

are you pretty functional???? I tend to soldier through the flares.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Jean, thanks for getting us starting this morning.  I have the day off and watched a little QVC this morning.  The TSV doesn't tempt me one iota.  I did drive over to a Meijer store that I pass every day on the way to work.  This particular Meijer tends to have a broader selection of ladies clothing and usually is first when it comes to bringing in new items.  I browsed the new fall offerings and picked two tops to try on.  Each top was affordable and fit nicely.  As I looked at myself in the dressing room mirror I asked myself, why the hesitation Bernie.  My reflection said, these are cute but they don't spark joy (lol).  I bought nothing, instead I came home and cleaned the windows in my car.  I'm glad you enjoyed dinner with your friend and stuck to your list.

LindaL - Do you think that your trainer might be having you do a new exercise that your knee is not happy with?   

Barbara - you are letting it go, left and right (lol).  Good for you :-)

Charlene - Are the kids still enjoying the trip?  How many more countries will they be visiting?  Unfortunately for me, most of the items in my kitchen are in like new shape.  Guess it's good that ceramic doesn't dry rot from non use (lol).

Snicks - Is your cough dry or productive?  I'm concerned about your trouble breathing - could you be developing bronchitis?  If you're on an RA biologic, I don't have to tell you about your risk of infection.   I nag because I care. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--We don't have one of those stores but what you experienced is what many of us should consider when trying something on. It looks nice; it fits nice but where is the joy? Why is there a nagging doubt crossing the mind? I consider that a warning that perhapss the purchase isn't meant to be.

Barbara--Joy? You are finding great joy in letting it go. Good job on getting those bags filled. Do you have to wear a brace with the RA flareups? My mother used to have it in hand and wrists and had to wear a wrist brace.

Charlene--Good job on the bags for the Salvation Army as well as making more room in the cupboards. I'm sorry that the DC are having some rainy days

Linda--Chances are good that you overdid something with the knee when doing the exercises. I do hope the pain diminishes. Perhaps an Advil PM would help tonight.

Snicks--I hope the Ninja Storm works well for you. I also hope that you can get rid of that summer cold. A cold, however, doesn't stop the need to do laundry. etc.

It is about time for my afternoon Kindle break. Right now, I'm having my after lunch coffee while watching an episode of "Grace and Frankie" streamed from Netflix. If you haven't seen it, it is one of those Netflix original series.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Jean, that's exactly why the tops went back on their respective garment racks.  I've never been too impulsive in my shopping, however I now think about how many ways I care wear something and really ask myself if the prospective garment/shoe/bag is really me.  I've had my share of shopping for some other Bernie (lol) and am now comfortable with my own style.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

JEAN, I am glad that you had a nice lunch out yesterday. I only bought a Breezies bra once & that was 9 years ago when our DS & DDIL got married in St. Thomas, It was the TSV for $19.99 plus s/h. For some reason I thought that my bra needed to match my aqua top & tea length skirt ensemble. The bra was lovely so I did get my $$$ worth out of it. I don't go to WalMart often as it is too big for me to walk around. I much prefer our Shopko store. Sometimes I buy nothing just like to go there for some walking exercises. BIRD MAMA, It is nice to get a day off once in a while. It makes the week go by faster. Maybe the tops that you liked & looked good in you will call your name another time. I have never been into a Meijer store. LL, I have done lots of card shopping lately too. Lots of birthdays, anniversaries & now funerals. A friend of my DH's that he worked together for many years lost his wife yesterday. We will be going to the funeral on Weds. Hopefully your knee problem isn't serious. LINDA R., I am glad that your water leak is fixed & you will be able to get the wall repaired soon. My niece had a similar problem in April just days before we were going to see her. The shower had a leak & the plumber had to make a large hole in an adjacent wall. Her DH was in some kind of home improvement store & saw a dry wall guy & stopped him to see if he could come out right away. He came the next day & did a wonderful job. Couldn't tell it had been fixed. SYDSGMA, It is hot & humid here too. It will be hot tomorrow then a couple of days of nicer weather. CERB, I think that your DC will soon be home. What memories they will have for a lifetime. I need to condition my dining room set with the same stuff I used to clean my kitchen cupboards a while ago. It worked good & was easy to apply & take off. right now it is too hot for me to sit down & sew. SNICKS, do take care of yourself as I know summer colds are rotten to deal with. I will be hanging our laundry out on Weds. when it isn't so hot & humid. I like the smell of freshly laundered clothing dried outdoors. Have fun with your pool friend. It is too hot here today to go into the hot tub until this evening. No big plans today. I did take my moped to get some cards & after driving around town it was time to make lunch. We are planning to go away for the day tomorrow & a funeral on Weds. Thursday night is concert on the square if it isn't too hot. Our widowed friend is doing poorly so that is a concert for us right now too. Hugs to all of you.