Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (MONDAY, JULY 15)

[ Edited ]

Greetings, shopping friends. Today is a beautiful sunny day. I took advantage of that to apply weed killer again The rain and the weeds' growing have presented challenges. The lawn person has come and gone, so that job is done.

It looks as if the weather will not permit the deck to be stained until next week as I will be out and about the next two days, with rain expected on Wednesday and Thursday. In addition, the person needs to get his truck fixed as he can't mow unless it is fixed. He was calling for an appointment as he left.

So far, I  haven't purchased anything on Prime Day. I would like to purchase a new Kindle Oasis as my current Kindle e-reader which was the predecessor to the Oasis is four years old. I don't know if purchasing the current generation of the Oasis is a good idea, or just wait and get the next generation which comes out at the end of the month. The Oasis is an expensive gadget but fits my reading style with its extra features,

I did get my Lowes rebate of $45 in my email. I have a feeling I will be going to Lowes tomorrow while in the city. Landscaping edging, here I come! Yes, I know it isn't fashion but it is "fashionable" to maintain a nice lawn area. The money saved at Lowes can later be applied to a fashion.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (MONDAY, JULY 15)

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Sorry your deck staining needs to wait until next week, but glad it is sunny there.  I had never heard of the Oasis until you mentioned it.  I have a Kindle Paperwhite plus two Kindle Fires.  I know you use your Kindle all the time, and I use my Fires almost every day (one or the other), but the Kindle Paperwhite (oldest by far) much less.   If possible, I like a regular book rather than an e-reader.  But sometimes the book I want isn't available in paper or is much more expensive in paper, so I use my Kindle sometimes.

I must admit that I have already purchased two things from Prime Day.  Both were on my "wish list" and are being sold at a slightly reduced price.  One is the Echo Dot -- I love my Echo and use it all the time, but I thought it would be nice to have a second one for a different room in the house.  That is definitely a "want".  The other purchase is as "want", but something that I will probably be using for trips -- travel money belt.  I have a very old one, but it does not have the RFID technology.

We are under an excessive heat warning today and tomorrow.  I think they are talking about high temperates above 105 degrees.  That isn't that different than the temperatures we have been having, but I think it must have something to do with the increased humidity.  We had some thunderstorms yesterday evening, but did not get much rain, unfortunately.

I went for my walk earlier than normal, and it wasn't too hot.  Then I had strong bones class and went to have my eyeglasses adjusted.  They were making big indents around my nose.  Hopefully, the repairs will help.

This afternoon I will be going to a musical/play with some people from the senior lunch program.  They are planning to go to dinner after the play, and I may consider joining them.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--Enjoy your Prime purchases. The Dot doesn't have the sound quality of the Echo but is still good as a device to use in another room. I'm debating the Show5 as a small alarm clock, etc. but likely  will pass.

I have looked but specific items I was interested in are not reduced yet. The reason I like the Oasis since it is based upon the Voyage I now  have is that the screen is fantastic and it has page turn buttons. It is ideal as a device to be used in one hand as you don't have to swipe the screen, although you can. It is great for reading in bed. I also looked for a Roku as mine is years old. 

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Valued Contributor

Hello All,

I am a Prime member but have never really shopped on Amazon Prime day, until today.  I purchased an eyeshadow palette and with all the discounts etc it came out to a whopping $1.88.

Things are going good here.  My husband's status is progressing.  Today he had physical therapy and it really wore him out.   That is kind of typical so he is napping now.  I was out riding my bike when the therapist was here but DH reported walking a little further today so that was exciting.

I read over yesterdays comments on the string.   I really appreciate all your comments and support. 

I hope everyone has a good day. 

Hot here with heat index level at 106...staying inside now.

Honored Contributor

Jean, I'm in the same boat as you regarding some outside jobs and the weather.  Prime Day has no meaning for me since I never enrolled in Prime. That's a nice rebate from Lowe's.

Linda, the echo dot and travel money belt sound like useful purchases.

Gayle, makeup can be so expensive so you really scored a good deal on the eyeshadow palette.

I got out of the house and visited a local Pet Supplies Plus to pick up a couple of bags of pigeon food.  They are the only local retailer that I know of who carries my brand.  I was hoping to get my hair cut today however I learned my stylist in on vacation today and tomorrow.  By the time I go it will have been 3 months and boy do I look like a shaggy dog, lol.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Gayle--You really scored a great deal on the eyeshadow pallet. I had read that Lady Gaga's line was to premier today but I forgot to check the beauty items. Perhaps I'll be doing that soon despite not really needing anything. Physical Therapy is tiring. It is good to hear that he is progressing; I know that gives you hope.

Bernie--I know that shaggy dog feeling; for that reason, I have an appointment tomorrow morning for a hair cut followed by an appointment for the car in the afternoon. It is good that you have a reliable source for the preferred brand of pigeon food.

I guess I'd better check out the beauty products but with my luck the good buys went quiickly in lightening deals. I didn't check the clothing although I did see some jeans at a good price in a preview.

Trusted Contributor

Hi everyone - as per yesterday's threads I agree with you that I don't really mind CIJ programming, but I'm not buying anything.  I already have plenty of really nice Christmas decor and am not being tempted to buy more (a good thing).  Linda - I own a "how to" Tai Chi DVD and uh, it's harder than it looks, lol.  I do believe it would be beneficial though.  Bernie - please keep us up on the Finley saga and also the egg.  I'm cheering her on!  twinny - glad that your GP is happy with how you're doing, even though the shot did hurt.  The blackberries sound good.  Gayle - cooking double and then freezing some is a smart thing to do.  I have a pair of silver dragonfly earrings that I bought at TJ Maxx a year or two ago.  I specially like wearing them during the Summer.  Hope you like wearing yours as well.  

No LOGO for me.  I still remember the one I bought and returned a few years ago.  It looked cute on the models, but on me, the fabric showed every lump and bump.  Glad to escape that TSV temptation, plus all of the LOGOs that were lunchtime specials.

Today I swung by a little library on the way to my mother's house and I purchased a few paperbacks for a quarter each.  Then I delivered some apricot cobbler, and apricot jam to my Mom.  I picked some more fruit off her tree and visited with her for a while before coming home.  I was tired by then and took an unexpectedly long nap.  It's been over 100 degrees here and yuck, I hate the heat.  I think that dinner tonight is going to be a salad with chicken and Asian salad dressing.

Waves to all  ~ Charlene 

Honored Contributor

Charlene @cerb   I keep the Bird's Nest thread in the Among Friends forum updated with Finley stories Woman Very Happy

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise