Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (MONDAY, JULY 11)

Good morning, shopping friends. It is a beautiful sunny day, a great day to get things done. I had planned to get started early on my bathroom, but a visitor changed those plans. There is always another time.

The CuddleDuds TSV? I might wear it in the house in the Winter as an additional cover up as I reduce the temperature to save on heating costs. When would I buy it? I would probably wait and see if it will show up in the "As Is" sales section of the site.

I was searching for some motivational article, etc. on "shopaholics" when I discovered there are now shopaholic games. I looked at one based upon shopping in London. Other locations are available. You are issued a credit card with a certain amount, and then you progress through the game, shopping for varioius events and price lines as well as trying on the clothes on the chosen. I guess if one were tempted to shop, then one could play the game.

I did 30 minutes of the Leslie Sansone DVD yesterday and did 15 minutes or one mile this morning. I plan to repeat it this evening for a total of 30 minutes.

On another thread, I discovered a site which Dave Ramsey recommends as saving major dollars on grocery bills. Basically, one pays a fee for menus to be sent to them, along with items to buy, and methods of preparation. It is called emeals if you want to check it out, but part of me wonders if one can essentially get the same thing without paying the fee for the menus based upon eating preferences and family size. The idea behind the savings on the menu subscription is that one only buys what is needed when shopping for groceries.

Tomorrow is Prime Day at Amazon. Time will tell if anything tempts me from the so-called specials. I took a look at some of its advance specials but didn't bite.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (MONDAY, JULY 11)

Hi Friends,

Respected Contributor

Morning, Thanx @KonaKat for the start, you're doing good on the exercise, wish I could get motivated.  I agree with you re:menu thing, don't think I'd pay to get it

Thanx @meallen616 for the Monday greeting, hope your day goes well

We're into quite a hot/humid spell so the a/c is going to run endlessly for a long spell, hate paying the bill but love having it.

The tsv is not tempting for me, too few times of the year you can wear it without needing a jacket/coat, around the house I throw on a cardigan.  I am eying the PC tsv for tomorrow, any thoughts on this?

Hope all have a good day/evening

Essie

Esteemed Contributor

meallen--Thanks for the great graphic.

Essie--I am interested in the PC TSV but I have so much on hand right now of other lines. I did read the pros and cons in the other forums. There was a lot of discussion regarding how far the BHA liquid went in usage, so they were questionning why two bottles of it was being included. I guess I'll wait and see the presentation.

Time to fix lunch and watch the newss. There was a posting on FB regarding news, violence, etc.  which basically said "Remember when the scariest thing on TV was the Twilight Zone?"

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon, and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Good for you with your exercising.  One day at a time applies to that area of our lives like it does with many others.  I listen to Dave Ramsey on the radio fairly often, and I have heard of the emeals program.  Although it might be interesting, I have decided that it is not needed for me/us.  

I am already starting to consider how things will change when DH is in the memory care facility, and I'll be "cooking for one".  I know Arlene, you, and perhaps other posters, have had a lot of experience with that, but I have not since I was married young for more than 35 years to my ex, and then re-married more than 9 years ago.  I had a lot of trouble preparing food just for me when I was living alone.  At first, I cooked as if there was someone else eating with me, and it was a lot of extra effort and expense. I also had times when I would eat very little.  Fingers crossed that I do better this time.  I know that I should not worry about such things, but..... 

Thanks for our Monday greeting, meallen.  Hope you have a good day.

I agree with you about the AC, Essie -- love having it, but hate having to pay, but... I have never tried tomorrow's TSV brand.  I doubt that I will look at it since I have given up expensive/special skin care.  I use a few products that are available at places like Wal-Mart and Amazon.  The TSV today does not appeal to me since I have plenty of things to wear when it gets cooler here, and that is months away.  

DH slept pretty well last night, but is quite sleepy this morning.  The caregiver is taking a trip to Hawaii for two weeks, and she will only be coming here two more times.  When she returns, DH will be in the memory care place.  She assured me that it is very nice -- good people, facilities, and food.  She will be going there to take care of DH when she returns from her trip.  It sounds like hospice has not really figured out how to handle her patients while she is away, so that is sort of up in the air.

Another hot day here, maybe slightly cooler than yesterday, but still over 100 degrees.  It was already pretty warm when I took my walk early this morning.  Our trip to the grocery store yesterday did not go very well since DH could not figure out how to get into the very hot car, but eventually he did so.  It really bothers me that such a nice man is having so much trouble with the basics of life, but nothing that I can do about it.

Our bookclub meeting this afternoon is morphing into a brief get together -- only three of us are available, and it is a "free read month", so the other two are telling me that i don't need to write a report.  Not sure if I will do so our not.

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, twinny (hope you are having fun), Bernie, Charlene, snicks, Susan, Marijane, butterfly, Barbara, Rosa, Karen, Gayle, pinky ann, LindaR, and all of our posters and readers.

Have a nice day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Honored Contributor

Hello all, yesterday was a funky kind of day for me so I didn't post much at all.  My sister with the GBS has been discharged from the rehabilitation facility since June 30th.  There isn't that much known about GBS and she has stroke like paralysis in her right leg and left hand.  Nobody can seem to predict how much she will recover and any kind of timeline for improvements.  It's literally one of those 'in God's hands' type of condition.

She sold her home in the metro area last fall and moved into a smaller 2 bedroom apartment.  She didn't want to deal with a house any more.  She continues to own a home 'up north' near the tip of the mit (we call Michigan the mit because of it's shape).  Her youngest daughter is going through a divorce (she didn't ask for it) and is currently residing with her Ma and her own daughter in this apartment.  Suffice it to say, right now, my niece is not what I would call 'shelf stable', lol.  She is not where she wants to be and let's everyone know about it.

Apparently the doctors all felt my sister could go home.  My sister cannot walk on her own, using a wheelchair on carpeting with one good hand is a no-go. 

On the bright side, my sister's friend who is a caregiver is currently laid off so there is someone there will her all day.  The corker is that within an hour of the caregiver leaving on the 30th, my sister fell because her daughter that lives with her wasn't listening to my sister when my sister was telling her that she was losing her balance.  The fire and rescue people were called because the two nieces (there is an eldest who has a husband and two kids not far away) couldn't get my sister up.

I pretty much figured since neither of the kids really 'got' the level of disability involved here, it was a blessing in disguise that they learned right off the bat on day one in a situation where my sister didn't seriously hurt herself.

I swear before God almightly that I really try not to be judgemental.  A week into my sister's return home, I find myself feeling disappointed more than anything.

The youngest niece in the apartment with my sister works full time and has a near 5 year old.  I feel for her because my sister needs to get up 2 to 3 times a night to 'pay the water bill', and she has to wake my niece up to get to the john. 

The eldest niece is hands off. 

My sister spent 24 hours in a recliner for from 7-1 until 7-8.  She fears if she sleeps in her bed, the youngest niece won't hear her.  A recliner 24x7 will break a person's back.

My middle sister and I devised a plan this past weekend.  The deal was, middle sister would spend Friday night and I would spend Saturday night.  The only rule of engagement was, eldest sister had to sleep in the bed like a human being :-)

This freed up youngest niece (who's kid was with her father) to either sleep the night through or hang out with her friends. 

I pretty much figured I wouldn't sleep much Saturday night.  I've slept alone for nearly a decade, lol. Also, the fear of dropping my sister had me nodding off very lightly. 

She only needed to get up 2x during the night.  Lifting up someone who is nearly dead weight is not easy. 

When I got home around 10:30 Sunday morning, I felt it.  I was tired and my back was aching.  I'm not inclined to 'getting depressed'. 

That said, did you ever just 'know' the wheels are going to come off?  It's not a matter of it, more like a matter of when?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

So sorry about your sister and all the problems surrounding her and you.  I don't know exactly what you are asking, but I certainly can relate to your concerns about your sister and the future.  it must be so difficult for you, and I am sending extra strong cyber hugs your way.  I have found my caregivers group to be very helpful in dealing with the emotions as well as the physical aspects of DH's illness.  Perhaps you can find such a group -- best if it were one that you could attend in person, but an on-line group might be able to help.  

Respected Contributor

Bernie...what a sad thing for your sister. Is there a social worker at rehab who could help arrange for some help for your sister??!  It is hard to believe that she was dis charged with no care plan.

is she of Medicare age.  I believe if she can be in the hospital for a couple of days..90 or so days of nursing home care are covered. 

Does her dr know she was discharged. ??  When my dh had hip replacement surgery a few years ag, after his discharge from rehab, we had some home health care for a while.

just some thoughts

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama, oh Bernie, I knew it was something going on, this is definitely not going to be easy for you, physically or mentally, I don't have any advice other than just try to take it 1 day at a time & please know my thoughts & prayers are with you & your sisters.

Stay strong girl.

Essie

Honored Contributor

@ 

I know, I rambled.  I think I was venting more than asking anything :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise