Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (MONDAY, JAN 8)

Good morning, shopping friends. I am home doing odds and ends while school is closed. First, we are having ice ad snow that is making the roads dangerous and second, the main water line supplying two schools and residences has broken.

It is so hard for me to let something go. Again, that wearing 20% of the items 80% of the time definitely applies to me. The problem is that these things represent money I spent and although I still like them, I turn to items I love. These are things I need to keep in mind as I debate a purchase: Why is it calling out to me? Do I have anything like it? Do I really need something from the latest line on the Q?  Are there other things on which the money can be better spent?

I may never do it but the Australia urge is calling me again. It has been ten years since I was there and I always wanted to go back. If not there, then another far off destination. Do I want my bucket list to consist of purchases, or do I want it to consist of wonderful memories?

Moderation in all things is a good thing. I do plan to finish the month with either no purchases or a $100 limit on "wants" from any source. Of course, I need gas for the car, groceries, etc.

Today, I'm thinning the herd! Just because I loved an item did not mean I had to have several colors of it. Good-bye to those colors, etc. that did not live up to my use of the original purchase that motivated me to buy more. I could sell some things but I don't want to deal with that. I just want the things out of here.

If anyone can benefit from them, so be it! The donation center is calling "Bring them here!" I have to take the car to the city on the 15th for its check up so I'll also be going to the donation center of choice.

I did 30 mnutes of my exercise and will do another session later in the day. Now, to exercise my ability to chose things for donation!

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (MONDAY, JAN 8)

Good Morning Jean @KonaKat.  I have no idea why I was surprised to see an inch (maybe) of snow on the ground this morning.  Snow was forecasted for yesterday and when I didn't see anything on the ground, I assumed it passed us by.

The commute was slower this morning and it was encouraging to see no accidents along the way. 

I happened to talk with a nice lady named Joy when I was getting my mammogram back in December.  Actually mine was done and a couple of us just sat around talking for a few minutes.  Joy gave me the name of her eye doctor and I made an appointment for an eye exam.

Later this month on the 25th, I'll start the day with the dentist doing 3 crown preps (front bottom teeth).  That afternoon I'll be getting my eyes dilated and examined.  Historically, no matter what kind of drops a doctor uses, my pupils take a really long time to go back to normal. 

I texted my sister and wrote that I would be partially blind and won't be able to eat easily...... like an old dog, lol.

On the shopping front - I did spot a navy blue trench coat/rain coat that comes with a lining at JCP.  What I like about that is that it's a 365 day a year color, classic style and the removal lining would allow me quite a bit of mileage throughout the year.

I'll give it more consideration and possibly swing past the store in the next couple of weeks to check out the quality of the fabric and the lining before ordering it.

I'm trying to get in the mindset of shopping like a retiree, lol.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bernie--Being retired can be a joy but it can be financially challenging if you have not prepared for it. It sounds as if you are definitely on the track to retire well. Those fixed retirement checks that do not increase with inflation definitely need supplemented in some manner. You were wise to get the mortgage paid off early.

The coat sounds very cost effective so it does need a visit from you. Just focus upon the coat and cast a "blind eye" to any other temptations.

I do hope your eye and dental appoinntments go well. I've never had a problem with my eyes being dilated, but I know one indiivdual who has someone to take her to the appointment as she can't see to drive for a very long time.

I am making progress with "thinning the herd." It is exhausting, however. I'll try not to use that as an excuse to stop except for lunch and then an afternoon reading session. I'm not good at doing "boring" tasks without a break. Right now, I'm eyeing a Joan Rivers jacket and trying to determine its fate. I'll probably keep it but a Bob Mackie jacket that I haven't worn for a couple of years is going. Four handbags are finding a new home.

I see there is a page on Facebook dedicated to selling QVC items. Someone has a CitiKnits top for sale for $15.  How long has it been since the Q sold Citiknits?

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon!  Like you, I have a difficult time letting things go, Jean.  Good for you concentrating on the task, and not allowing your attention to be diverted.  I still need to tackle my closet, but I did thin out the guest bathroom cabinet this morning.  Many things (like lotions, cleaners, etc.) were purchased when DH was living here, and I should have disposed of them long ago.  

I can't believe it has been that long since you went to Australia.  I remember when you took that trip.  Regarding your comments about diet and exercise yesterday, you are doing great.  Keep up the good work with your bike.

That coat sounds great, Bernie.  It might be worth purchasing for your post-retirement wardrobe.  I have been retired for quite a while now, and I know that my clothing needs are different than when I was working.  And, I still have way to many clothes hanging around.

I'm back from my "Strong Bones" class, and headed to visit DH now.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Have a good day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--Good job on the guest bathroom  Letting go of things is not always easy.For example, I still have the hotel receipt from my stay in Australia.

Trusted Contributor

Good afternoon everyone - we are getting a few sprinkles here and there and are hopeful it turns into genuine RAIN!

Thank you for the updates on weight and exercise Jean, because I could use the encouragement after over-indulging the past couple of months, and gaining several pounds as a consequence.  

Good for all of you who are being thoughtful about your purchases or are thinning the herd.  It does seem to be an on-going process, especially for those of us who are trying not to be shopaholics.  Bernie asked us yesterday about fashion purchases we regret from last year.  Mine are probably a couple of pairs of jeans that didn't fit quite right but I kept them instead of returning them.  Also, I purchased a few sweaters and wraps that I like, but our weather is such that I might not hardly ever wear them.  Plus a couple of tops that are maybe a tad too trendy.  I like them now, but probably not a good investment long-term.

I got a fair amount of cleaning done around the house today, and now I feel like taking a nap.  Dinner is leftovers, so that'll be easy.  Waves to all  ~  Charlene

Honored Contributor

@KonaKat wrote:

Linda--Good job on the guest bathroom  Letting go of things is not always easy.For example, I still have the hotel receipt from my stay in Australia.

@KonaKat  a souvenir is different :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise