Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (MONDAY, JAN 28)

Good Morning/Afternoon!  I keep hearing about the extremely cold weather in other parts of the country, and I hope all of our ladies stay warm and safe.  Fortunately, we are having very nice weather here, and it should make it to 70 degrees today.  Definitely more my speed.  Hope you don't have any weather-related problems getting to your appointments, twinny.  Sounds like you had a very nice birthday celebration.

I had strong bones class this morning, and one of the ladies was headed back to Wisconsin (she and her husband just spent a month here).  They delayed their trip until Wednesday hoping that the weather will be at least slightly better then (they are driving).  Another "winter visitor" in our group flew back to Wisconsin yesterday, and had a three hour weather delay in Chicago.  Hope DGS doesn't have any problems when he flies back to Boston on Wednesday.  DD said that they are expecting snow/ice tomorrow and then very cold temperatures.  She feels the same way that I do about such weather, so she is not looking forward to it.

This afternoon I have  grief group, but no other plans except taking a walk, cleaning, etc.

The TSV is not calling my name -- thank goodness.  

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day, and please post if you have a chance.

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (MONDAY, JAN 28)

Linda L, yes, I had a very nice birthday.  We were lucky to get only 6" of snow instead of 10"  or more.  It was light & an easy job with the snowblower.  Your AZ friends are coming on the coldest day that we have had for a long time.  It's supposed to be -50° on Wednesday & then we are supposed to get rain on Friday. Rain will be terrible because the snow mobile trails and ski resorts are having a great time.  The snow is perfect for winter sports.  Guys that plow driveways and parking lots are trying to make the most of it because that is their income until they can do lawn mowing & landscape work in the Spring.  Yesterday where we were having lunch, about 20 snowmobilers came.  The restaurants and nearby gas stations were ecstatic

It's cloudy & we are getting ready for cold weather to arrive starting tomorrow.  I am sure that we will be able to get to our appointments tomorrow and Wednesday.  We have a garage so that helps a lot.  Our house is always warm so hopefully the furnace will be running good.  That could be a big problem.  We had the furnace cleaned in the fall & a part did have to be replaced.

I have nothing that I have to do today, but the next few days we will be busy.

Hugs to all of you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello Linda @LindaLatte and @twinny70

I was up early and the first thing I did in the dark (lol) was look out the window.  I was happy to see no snow on the ground as my sister had to go to work today.  She texted me later in the morning and said she got there really early and might be leaving earlier.  She rarely takes time off and when she asks to flex her schedule or make up an hour or so on another day her management allows it.  

Snow started falling here around noon or a little later.  It's windy and I woold guess that we've had a couple of inches.  I mailed a couple of birthday cards at the post office this morning then mostly monitored the patio and put more food out for the birds and squirrels.  They must know something is coming because they were all eating like there is no tomorrow.

A bunch of sparrows decided to come for food on the snow covered patio about 20 minutes ago.  They are so tiny and seeing them try to peck for food in the snow had me out there with a shovel, clearing a nice sized space for the food I then put down.  I love those birds - they just sat in the big evergreen shrub watching me work furiously for them Heart

Aside from cleaning up around the house I purged three pairs of shoes.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@LindaLatte@Bird mama@twinny70  I'm a little late, but I'm here!  Yes, we're bracing for the coldest weather in 5 years here in NE Ohio.  The HIGH temp on Wednesday is supposed to be -2 degrees!  Now, as far as I'm concerned, anything below 10 degrees is just plain cold, and I don't know if I can rell the difference between -2 and 10 degrees anyway!

I truly have a vivid memory of that January five years ago because that was my last January with my old 2001 Mercury Cougar.  I was planning to buy a new car that spring and figured my 6-1/2 year old battery would make it through another winter because my last one had lasted that long.  Well that morning when I went to the garage to go to work, all I got was the "click."  It was exactly 0 degrees that morning.  Thank goodness for AAA, and I'm lucky it was in my own garage and not out in some parking lot, but it cost me $125 for the new battery!

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

Bird Mama, our snow storm was over by 6:00 a.m.  12 hours early.  All of the area schools were closed today and then they wished that they would have started with a two hour delay.  The snow plows were out very early and the roads are  good.  When the chill factor is either -25° or -35° there is no school.  I can't remember which of those temps closes the schools. It is nice that you have a patio to feed the birds and squirrels.  The squirrels are having fun here today too.  They are up the light poles and chasing each other all over the place.  They are even playing in the snow.  I am sure that they will be hibernating for the next 3-4 days.  Right now it's snowing feathers from Heaven.  

Esteemed Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@LindaLatte@Bird mama@twinny70  I'm a little late, but I'm here!  Yes, we're bracing for the coldest weather in 5 years here in NE Ohio.  The HIGH temp on Wednesday is supposed to be -2 degrees!  Now, as far as I'm concerned, anything below 10 degrees is just plain cold, and I don't know if I can rell the difference between -2 and 10 degrees anyway!

I truly have a vivid memory of that January five years ago because that was my last January with my old 2001 Mercury Cougar.  I was planning to buy a new car that spring and figured my 6-1/2 year old battery would make it through another winter because my last one had lasted that long.  Well that morning when I went to the garage to go to work, all I got was the "click."  It was exactly 0 degrees that morning.  Thank goodness for AAA, and I'm lucky it was in my own garage and not out in some parking lot, but it cost me $125 for the new battery!

2blonde, It seems like when you want a battery to last just a few more months, It fails us everytime.   I like cold weather and ❄❄❄, but I don't like anything -10 or less.  But then again I can't tell any difference between -10 & -50.  At that point it is all cold.  We are spoiled with heated seats in our Subaru, a warm house and a garage.

Esteemed Contributor

I forgot to mention that our very local newspaper had a story (on the first page no less), about "birders" coming to the nearby National Forest  since a rare bird had been seen there.  Apparently, some birders get an alert on their telephone when a rare bird is seen.  Some of these birders actually flew here from California.  It was a White-throated Thrush,  Not being a birder, I was not impressed by the photo, but I guess some were pretty thrilled at seeing a rare bird (at least rare in the U.S.)

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good evening, ladies! I was called to work today which is fine as I may lose some days later this week because of the cold and snow. It was 54 degrees when I came home but the temps are supposed to be dropping soon with rain changing to snow around 3am. We are expecting zero to five below on Wednesday into Thursday with even colder wind chill temps. We're in the area that won't get more than an inch of snow but it is the cold that will create the problem. 

Currently forecast to arrive tonight, January 28th, and last through Thursday, January 31st, the polar vortex will bring with it daytime highs across most of West Virginia in the single digits to below zero, and overnight wind chill temperatures of -25 or lower in portions of northeast West Virginia with the possibility of light snow for much of the area. Higher elevations above 2,500 feet will likely see even colder temperatures with wind chill temperature of down to -40 near Snowshoe, with strong sustained winds, whipping snow and potential white out conditions. Wind chills will fall below zero for most locations in West Virginia by Wednesday morning and actual temperatures will fall below zero for most locations by Thursday morning.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.