Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (MONDAY, AUGUST 1)

Hi Everyone!

I've been reading but not posting for a few days. We had very sad news on Saturday that our sweet Granddog had to be put down. It was very sudden and a shock. We are a family of dog lovers so we're still trying to cope with it all. Clarice was a mastiff and 9 1/2 years. She went in for what we thougt was either a bee sting or another eye infection and our DDIL was told it was bone cancer.--rapid spreading. Trying to get an emergency appointment at the vet's is difficult since Covid and the charges are crazy. (even if they have an open slot, if you on not on the schedule you are billed at emergency rates. Your head just spins with all the of it. 

I'll catch up soon with everyone.

Super Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS ONE DAY AT A TIME (MONDAY, AUGUST 1)

[ Edited ]

@Fressa  I am so sorry to hear about your Grandog Clarice. Letting go of a loved pet is always so hard but I think that they did the right thing in not letting her suffer. Since you have your two GSD you are very aware of the pain. I hope everyone heals from the pain of losing her so unexpectedly.

I also understand the shock concerning the cost of visiting the vet. With my two it always seems the $$$$ go upwards with each visit even with just the regular visits let alone something unexpected.... But you have to do what it takes to care for them. 

Esteemed Contributor

So sorry to hear about your granddog Clarice, Fressa.  Sending my sincere condolences.  Your DDIL did the right thing for Clarice, but it is so difficult on the family.  The cost is just rubbing salt into the wound as they say, but there is usually no choice.  

I'm still trying to prepare for my trip.  Seems like the apps that are supposed to be so time-saving take a lot of time and effort.  And, I'm still making decisions about what to take in terms of clothes, toiletries, medications, etc., etc.  Trying to stay calm, but it isn't easy.

I saw on FB that Jean was on her way back from a medical visit in Ohio -- she looks good and happy.  No idea what sort of medical visit it was, but I hope it was successful.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.

Hope everyone has a nice evening and sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda

Honored Contributor

Oh my @Fressa  I am so sorry to read the news about Clarice.  I had a similar experience with a family cat named Rita many, many years ago.  Our cats lived 18 to 22 1/2 years so when 8 year old Rita was a little standoffish about food for one day I took her to the vet (I panic like that, lol) and expected the vet to tell me Rita had an upset tummy. 

I never expected to hear the words kidney failure and euthanasia during that visit and it was like you hit me upside the head with a 2 by 4.  

There is never a good time to have to give them back to God and when the rug is pulled out from under you like that it's even worse.

My sincere condolences to your family during this time.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Linda @LindaLatte  when do you leave?  Is it this week?  All the prep sounds nerve wracking however I'm praying the trip goes smoothly and that you have a great time.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, Bernie.  My trip is this week, but I hesitate to give details here just in case there are some bad actors out there.

Trusted Contributor

Good evening ladies, hope all is well.

Fressa - Thank you for starting us today.  I am very sorry about the loss of Clarice.  It is very hard to lose an animal, they are family, but I am sure she lived a very happy and spoiled life.   Yes, vet care is getting expensive, but your DDIL made a good and compasionate choice.

Linda - Breathe!!  You will do okay packing.  Pack light, that is what I am going to do when we start to travel again.  I found out when we went to Ireland, I wore the same clothes a few times and I did not care.  Oh yeah, I still over packed for that, I just did not wear some of it.  I could have kicked myself when I got back.  I do want to hear about your trip when you come back, it is one place I want to visit.  Be sure to take a few extra days of meds, hopefully you have no travel problems, but you never know.

Bernie - It is hard when you lose a pet so quickly, I had a dog that quit eating and I found out she had acute leukemia.  She only lived for a week, broke my heart.

Last week I had some dental surgery and got a few stitches, tomorrow I hopefully get them out.  Then I will still have to be very careful not to eat on the right side of my mouth for 4 to 5 more weeks.  Go me!!!

I can not believe it is August.  Where did this year go?  Well, off to watch some tv.  Have a good evening everyone.

Honored Contributor

I thought so Linda @LindaLatte  and just so I don't let it get away from me I wish you safe travels and an enjoyable and enriching visit to our neighbors in the North Heart

Honored Contributor

Susan @PAlady  it's good you got the surgery out of the way before the intense eating season starts (Thanksgiving through the New Year).  I'm glad that it's healing well.

Esteemed Contributor

LindaLatte---Have fun on your trip. I'm an over-packer for trips and gradually try to improve on the amount of clothing, etc. that goes into the bag. It's another "work in progress".

I forgot about the "rainy day fund" phrase until you mentioned it. I have to thank you for saying that because it really calmed me down about the costs for the roof & siding. I don't know when I started to call it the "emergency fund" but that certainly was not my best  option.

Thanks for the update on Jean's medical..