Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (MONDAY, APR 6)

Greetings, shopping friends. I am in Day 2 of Week 4 of "Stay at Home" which our state started early compared to some. Today, we had our 4th death. Of the 9,940 who have been tested, 345 have been reported as positive for the virus.

It has been an interesting social experiment. There  are those who won't venture out and have a stockpile of food to last, to those who don't seem to care. We have a county that is a hotspot, and more rigid guidelines have been implemented. The ultimate is that anyone identified as being positive but refuses to self-quarantine  may be fitted with a gps ankle bracelet with the police following up as needed.

Right now, it is sunny but I am watching the Governor's daily update. I'm sure that will be followed by the other governors of our tri-states. Yes, we just switched to Ohio.

The impact on retailers has to be overwhelming from what I have seen. I would love to venture out and have not seen anyone since my MRI on March 30. I have underlying health issues so I don't want to risk exposure by going to the city. A little shopping would be fun but right now, it has been essentials delivered to the door. There will be time to shop. In the meantime, any grocery fill in items can be purchased from the supermarket less than a third of a mile from me,

I'm really concerned about the financial impact, so I decided to cancel the Sun Jo Power Washer. I can always purchase it in the future when I know more about the financial fall out. All I know is that the price of foodf has increased and on a fixed income, that can make a dent.

Have a great day. Be safe and if you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (MONDAY, APR 6)

Hi Everyone!

It's sunny but cool today. Storms and high winds move in tonight and are forecasted to last thru Wednesday. UGH!!!! The ground is finally dry so I'm enjoying every minute of not wipeing paws. 

I ran to the bank today to replenshish our "treat" $$. The lines were 3 deep but at least they had two tellers working the drive thru. I figure that at least my engine is getting some "run time" from sitting in the garage.

We did wash the cars on Sunday. I still have to clean the interiors but the winter grime is off the paint. We did some small things to get the patio ready for Spring/Summer. Got the umbrellas in the stands to block the glare and heat during the afternoons in the family room. I expect to see my plant orderes arriving soon. I did walk around and do a  check to see what is growing where. I do have to replace one or two planters. I have more of an idea where I'm planting things. My goal is to not have to weed on any part that isn't flat.

I'm hoping they relax the "stay at home" rule after this week or next so these small businesses can start to operate on some kind of schedule. I don't think they have data that is 100% correct so it's a guessing game. Even if some stores could operate with pick up service or social distancing I think that would help us all. There are still shortages in the grocery stores around here but people are still stocking up but at the rations that are listed. If you don't get there early whenever the trucks come in then it's still a guess what's on the shelves.

Stay safe and comfy. Have a good afternoon/evening. 

Honored Contributor

Good afternoon Jean @KonaKat  When it comes to negative, positive and total tests, my states statistics defy the rules of mathematics and I've run the numbers multiple times Woman Very Happy  Even with their  squirrelly numbers we're running a bit over 30% positive results for the numbers of folks being tested.  I personally think it's out of control here and the state leader is over her head and ill equipped to navigate this crisis, which I'll remember when she's up for reelection Woman Happy

I'll probably make a trip to the grocery store this week for some perishables (like cheese).  If they have what I want great, if not, I'll try again in a week.  This is a change in my shopping style.  Before I would go to multiple stores on the hunt for something.  I sincerely doubt my state is doing contact tracing however if I ever got the virus I'd like to be able to pinpoint where I got the virus.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Fressa   I have an evergreen shrub on the side of the house and a weeping mulberry in the front of the house that I want professionally removed.  It's more of a wanna have than a have to have so I need to call the company I was considering to find out if they are still doing work and if we'll be breaking the law Woman Surprised Woman Tongue if I hire them.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  It is sunny and nice here -- should make it to the upper 70's.  I'm back from a pretty long walk.  A lady in the area is making masks, and I put my name in for one.  I looked up her address, and figured it was about an hour walk (round trip), but it turned out to be more like a 1 3/4 hour walk.  Pretty worn out, but I was happy to get the mask for when I go out again (other for walks in the neighborhood).  

There have been more deaths in Arizona, but I'm not sure about how many have been tested.  I did see that the national number is more than 10,000  Sobering to say the least. 

I know many of our local businesses have been shuttered, and the local hospital may be closed which would be most unfortunate.  I think you are wise to cancel your power washer order given the financial uncertainty.  

Hope your new plants work out Fressa.  Glad you aren't dealing with mud at the moment and got your cars washed.

Your area and Marijanes are very hard hit, Bernie.  I hope both of you can stay safe.  An excellent idea to limit your grocery shopping for the time being.  

I went through my clothing yesterday, and discovered only two or three to donate (when the donation places re-open).  At least I rearranged things, and put away the cooler weather items.  I realized how much I like my clothing, even if I have way too much.  But, it brought home the idea that no new clothing is needed unless I suddenly change sizes or something.  I also decided to change clothes more often than I have been since staying home almost all the time.  I will need to do more ironing, but I don't have anything better to do.

DD said that they are having a cookout (on the deck) for Easter -- hot dogs and hamburgers, etc.  She mentioned the increase in grocery prices, so I guess that is not uncommon, Jean.  

The volunteer coordinator for hospice sent an e-mail saying that she is retiring later this month.  I will miss her -- extremely nice lady.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope Glenda's (aka twinny's) infusion went okay, and everyone stays safe.

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Just checking in to say that we are back home.  My infusion was only two hours and went well.  My DH dropped me off and I started to cry.  I was met at the entrance by a nurse.  She asked me if I had an appointment. Yes.  Onto the next desk for more questions. Then I went to the check in desk. As soon as I was about to sit down, another nurse called my name.

I have too many things on my mind Today.  Our dd and dsil have their D. court hearing tomorrow by phone.  I can't imagine how they can do it over the phone.  They both want to stay in the house.  Such a mess.

My DH drove to another parking lot a block away, because it's an open one.  Not an underground one.  When I was done they called him and he drove up to the front entrance to get me.

We drove back home and went through the BK drive thru for lunch.

I am headed to bed to sleep off my drugs.  

Hugs to all of you.

Honored Contributor

Wow Linda @LindaLatte   you really got your steps in today.  

Honored Contributor

Glenda @twinny70   I'm glad that your infusion is behind you and that your husband didn't have to sit in the car as long as you feared he would.

Esteemed Contributor

Indeed, Bernie.  I have been getting a huge number of steps in lately -- indoor and outdoor walking, plus some aerobic exercise indoors.  I am overdoing it, unfortunately.  

Glad you got your infusion, and your DH didn't have to wait as long as you feared, twinny. 

Regarding your DD and SIL's divorce, I didn't even attend my divorce hearing since my ex and I had a separation agreement that was just being made final. Everything went fine at the hearing, and I didn't have to go through it.  Of course, our daughter was grown, etc., but I think if both of them have agreed to a settlement, a phone hearing will probably be adequate.  I know how much the divorce hurts you (and them), but it is probably better to get this over with so they can go on with their lives.  

Esteemed Contributor

Birdmama: It looks like there might be some relief with the "stay at home" in the next two weeks. I watched multiple news programs yesterday and the President indicated that the virus containement and the business re-opening were both on the list. Maybe more businesses and churchs are going to be reclassified. Crossing my fingers. I see where my grocery store that I shop at has a total 50% capacity effective yesterday (insludes workers). I think that's actually a good sign. Check out lanes will be every other one. At least I'm taking it as a sign of encouragement.

Hope your outside maintainence is on the same list. It's so nice to have that work handled at the beginning of the season rather than at the end. Some task checked off as "done" is a nice feeling,.