Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (FRIDAY)

Good morning, shopping friends. It is a beautiful, sunny day; it is hard to believe that this will be followed by another snowfall.

I'm watching Linea right now; I have one item from his line but it is now too big. There are some disadvantages to losing weight and that is not being able to wear an item in which good dollars were invested. I know they recommend that people not buy or if they do while losing weight to avoid full cost by shopping Good Will, etc. I've never been lucky enough to find anything there. I have has much luck there as I do at TJMaxx which seems to carry the very low end spectrum of the size range. On the other hand, our TJ Maxx in the city never carries the high end items I see others on some threads being able to purchase.

I had expected someone else to start the thread. I really have nothing exciting to report as it is difficult to get out in these conditions. We are on Day 15 of school closure since January 2 because of either below zero temperatures or dangerous roads.

I didn't purchase the TSV of yesterday but do have an item from Amazon in mind which has great reviews and is priced similarly with no shipping cost. I can wait as I'm enjoying the no-buying challenge right now. I can remember when I would have easily purchased the Dr. Denese TSV. I'm passing as I'm using up the products I have. I am in Day 45 of not purchasing anything non-essential. If I want the thrill of hitting a "submit" button, I go to Amazon and get a free ebook. I have some which were zero cost that now are $9+. Free can be good. It just takes patience checking out the 100 top free list at Amazon and reading the reviews.

Thinking of all who are ill, lost pets, having tests run or waiting for test results; it can be a challenging time. It is a time to focus upon the positives in life.

Happy Valentine's Day!

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (FRIDAY)

Good Morning/Afternoon! Thanks for getting us started Jean. Sorry no school today. According to what I read on the internet, DD's area had at least 30" of snow -- yikes! No school there today. I'll need to call her to see how things are going.

I'd be interested in how you like the Amazon fitness item if you do decide to purchase it. You certainly are lucky with the free book downloads. I just received an e-mail that a book I reserved at the library is in, so I'll need to pick it up later today. I am reading C.J. Box book Open Season now, and it is a real "page turner". I had to force myself to stop reading last night and go to sleep. LOL I have also had good luck with getting DVD's from the library (shows not available for streaming through Netflix or Amazon). Glad that I live so close to the library, and they have such a good selection of things in this county.

I like Linea items, but some do run a bit large. If you have lost weight, it would be especially difficult. His things tend to be a bit more expensive than some other lines, but the other prices are increasing as well. I am trying not to buy unless I really, really love something and am pretty certain it will get worn. This is progress for me, but I still struggle. Reading all the threads from the Linea ladies does not help since their enthusiasm is contagious.

Waves to Susan, Marijane, Rosa, Kathleen, Sonya, Arlene, Twinny, LindaR, Nancy, Karen, Kathy, Val, Gayle, and all of our posters and readers.

Happy Valentine's Day to all of you!

Hugs,

Linda

Trusted Contributor

Good afternoon ladies, hope all is well.

Jean - Thank you for starting us today, we were out grocery shopping early and some running to do. Sorry about the school closures, and no work, this has not been a good winter for you for work. Congrats on the no shopping, I, have not been so good. I will get my stuff together here and curtail my shopping. There is not much going on around here, DH did sent me a beautiful bouquet of roses today. He is a keeper.

We were lucky yesterday with the snow, we had a dusting but that was about it. I hope those who were hit hard are doing okay.

I made vegetable soup in the crock pot the other day and we had it today, and it was very good. This recipe is very low in calories and tastes very good. I am not a soup lover, but I am trying to become one. We will see how that goes.

Well off to get a couple things done, hope everyone has a great afternoon.

Esteemed Contributor

Susan--the veggie soup sounds great. I was not a big soup lover or love it enough to make a pot of it. I've discovered Progresso Light soup and love it. Your hubby is a keeper! Enjoy the roses, the memories of which carry you through each day as well as DH's caring.

Linda--One of the biggest things that got me into buying more than I needed was reading the various threads on the Q boards. The enthusiasm for some products convinced me that I was missing out. I might skim some of them now but I've come to realize that these are things best avoided. As far as the exercise thing is concerned, I'm holding off until Spring, but the item at Amazon is Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike. The reviews are for the most part very good and the price is right.

It is now official. January was our coldest winter since 1978. February is one inch from meeting the record snowfall for February in the Charleston area. This has been one challenging year.

I had the Progresso Light chicken and enchilada soup for lunch. I did see a promo on FB regarding a Lunchtime special on a QF top I really liked. Unfortunately (or fortunately), the color I wanted was sold out in my size. I never buy anything white or similar for a top or bottom. I may wear a white jacket but it will require a bright color near my face.

I love the Weather Channel blurb when giving the local forecast. It goes something like: "Grantsville! What to say in the elevator:" It then proceeds to give the weather advisory. Let's rush out and find all those elevators. There is exactly one in town and one in each school; all of these were built when new buildings with two or more stories had to be ADA compliant.

I've finished watching the Noon news and weather alerts, so it is time for the Kindle and I to have a meaningful relationship.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Valued Contributor

Jean,

I recently downloaded the Kindle App. How do you access free ebooks? I guess I am unclear on this.

Esteemed Contributor

Gayle: this is one way to find the ebooks. Go to the Amazon home page. To the left, you will see "Shop by Department." Click on that drop down menu. You will see Kindle books and e-readers. Select that and you will see another menu which has "Kindle Store." Click on eBooks. To the far left, you will see a menu of category of books where you can shop by category. To find the top 100 books, go to the far right of the page. You will see "Best Sellers--Updated hourly." Click on that.

You will then get a list of the top 100 paid books and a list of the top 100 free books. I check out that free list at least every two days, as sometimes you will find some really great ones, and you will discover some books with great reviews. If they sound interesting, I just download them as they are free. Most of the ones I have downloaded free have gone to a paid status afterwards. If the rating is 4 or above, it is worth the download. If you can't get into the book as tastes do differ, you just delete it and it then goes into the Amazon cloud where you can download it later under "Manage My Kindle."

Just a warning! Amazon can change these hourly. Sometimes a book listed under the top 100 free will be shown with a price tag. The reason is that it has gone to a paid book in between the hourly updates.

I imagine Kathleen and DH are preparing to celebrate Valentine's Day. That was such a great pic of them on Face Book. LindaR, I hope the weather is better for you in Texas and that you and the furbabies are enjoying the day. Arlene, I hope things are looking up for you. I know there are others I have missed but know that you are being remembered on this special day.

Respected Contributor

Hello friends! Jean you commented on that picture when I first posted it a few months ago. I like it too, a rare one where DH is also smiling and you can see him. He got rid of the glasses a few months ago and it took a little while for us to get used to it. Smiley Happy We are going to surprise older DD and eat at her bar tonight. I'm looking forward to it. It's 84° here right now and I know I will go home to a VERY happy DH.

I went to the Dr this morning and got a good report, and good report from dentist yesterday. I do have one more crown and hopefully that will be it for a while. Yay! I have that scheduled.

Gayle it was nice to "see" you. I so often forget to mention people by name, and thought I saw "Circles" (Diane?) post once in the past week or so. So many folks come and go and I do think of you all when I am out and about.

Linda I'm so happy that SIL's job is going well. I can't remember if I shared it here but DH's business is closing down in about 6 weeks. We have known for a couple months now. It sounds silly but instead of being worried I am looking forward to whatever changes Jesus brings our way. I hope to not end up moving, but I would not make a good 'weekend wife' and will go wherever we need to.

I got a little crazy with the exercise there (good for me, but not good for me ha ha) so this week I have instead concentrated on playing guitar; and feel much happier for doing so. This weekend we have no plans. Next weekend will be the big trail ride out of town and quite a ride away. I am really looking forward to it.

ETA: I hope Arlene is well and that all her Sweeties are home and healthy.

Happy Valentines Day to all! Hugs from Central Texas

Esteemed Contributor

Oh, I'm sorry about your DH's job Kathleen. I'm sure it will work out, but still could be very disruptive if you need to move, etc. You are a strong lady with a strong faith, so I know you and your DH will be okay.

I wouldn't want to be a "weekend wife" myself, but I know that is a pattern for many these days.

DD said they are expecting more snow this evening, but hopefully not too much. They were able to clear the deck, thank goodness. Other people had problems with deck collapse due to the snow. However, suddenly the power went off in part of their house. The good news is that she found an electrician (who goes to their church), and he was able to fix the problem. The whole thing cost less than $100, which is a relief.

I made it to the library (walked there with DH), class, and the gym. Feeling pretty happy with myself. Hope that dinner turns out okay, and then I'll really be happy.

Have a good evening everyone!

Contributor

Hi ladies...Happy Valentines Day!!! Shane and I watched the baby and it was fun. He's laughing and smiling now so we enjoyed every minute of it.

We are also expecting more snow tomorrow, about 8-10 inches and I am really not looking forward to it. I was okay with all of the snow until today when I heard it was going to snow again. Sydney has only missed 3 days due to the snow so that's not too bad. She's on winter break next week so hopefully by the time she goes back we're almost done with winter.

Kendall is coming home tomorrow for the long weekend, it's my moms birthday on Sunday and we are throwing her a small party at one of her favorite restaurants. She should be surprised. I have the weekend off and I was looking forward to it until I heard it was going to snow.

Jean, like you I have done well with my purchases. I only purchased one clothing item last month and I did place two orders from J Jill but they were both from their outlet and they are spring summer pieces that I am so ready to wear. I am holding out on Today's TSV since I already get them but in a smaller version. I do love her products.

LindaL, can't even imagine all of the snow that your dd has. Do her children have break next week?

Kathleen, hope it all works out with DH's job. I am loving my Fitbit. I actually got in over 15,000 steps on Monday. I am doing well with my shopping but I can't seem to do well with my eating...I seem to have a hard time being good at two things..lol!!!

Well hope everyone had a great day!!!