Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (FRIDAY)

Good morning, shopping friends. It is a sunny day and the rains and high winds are behind us but flooding is a possibility. We can't control the weather but we can control many of our thoughts and decisions during the day.

This thread began years ago when an individual went into their order status and added up how much they had bought during the year and decided to gain support in reducing spending. Who is a shopaholic? It is said that only 6% of the population are true shopping addicts, and often it is said that over-shopping is a problem only when it hurts the family income. Can you, however, recognize warning signs that you might be on the road to trouble:

Seven signs you might be a shopaholic: (Moneytalksnews.com)

1) You have many unopened or tagged items in your closet

2) You often purchase things you don't need or planned to buy

3) An argument or frustration leads you to buy

4) You experience a rush of excitement when you buy

5) Purchases are followed by feelings of remorse or regrets

6) You conceal your shopping purchases

7) You feel anxious on days you don't shop

And--what goes on in the mind of a shopaholic:

http://addictions.about.com/od/glossar1/a/Inside-The-Mind-Of-A-Shopaholic.htm

And--shopping addiction:

http://addictions.about.com/od/lesserknownaddictions/a/shoppingadd.htm

I know the thrill of excitement when I buy but I never feel anxious if I don't shop. If I get frustrated or lonely or depressed, at one time I might have shopped without having a need. The new me tries to control that.

I always get an uncomfortable feeling when I read a thread in which someone has their purchases shipped elsewhere so the significant other doesn't know how much is being purchased. It isn't a question of hiding a gift for that individual, it is a realization that the person knows they are shopping too much. This might be done on a rare basis but done too often can be a sign of a developing problem.

Any of the signs given above taken individually may not indicate that anyone is a shopaholic in the making, but several of them combined can be considered a warning sign.

I often think of the unneeded purchases I made and the money wasted. That, however, cannot be changed. We hopefully learn from our past mistakes and make good decisions for today which affect the future. None of us knows what lies ahead, but a little financial savings can help.

On an even more boring note, this got started when I did my annual check of all my credit reports and scores at MyFico.com. There are many sites that give you credit scores but the true FICO scores are purchased at MyFico.com for all three. The others are just their version of a credit score but are not the ones used by creditors. I happen to be in the top 2% of the population but it could be improved.

I'm a little fanatic about checking my credit. I subscribe to Equifax's Score Watch which notifies me of any change in my credit report and gives me a current FICO score. All of my tradelines are on Equifax but not on the other two major credit bureaus so this is a good way of checking if something is going on which should be nipped in the bud.

I'm watching Denim & Co. now. I really enjoy the Denim & Co. items I have as they do fit me right and last multiple years, making it a cost effective purchase. The problem is that it doesn't create a need for frequent buying to satisfy a buying urge. I just completed Day 51 of not buying anything that is not considered an essential or a need.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (FRIDAY)

Great start Jean! I know I have "holic" tendencies no matter what the activity is - even healthy things can get distorted. I'm kind of a mess that way. I also enjoy my high credit score, something that I never thought about when I was younger. One year for my birthday my brother asked me what I wanted for my birthday and I told him the book "Your Money or Your Life" or something like that and it got me started on my financial journey that continues today. Smiley Happy

Work is really crazy today; I'm not sure I'm going to be able to take off at noon like I wanted to. In any case, my car is packed and I'm excited to have some relaxing 'hang out' ride the wagon (and probably walk next to it quite a bit to get some exercise in) and sit around the fire playing guitar time. I will pick up Stevie as I drive through and it will be good to spend a little time with her.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

Esteemed Contributor

Kathleen--That book is excellent. You have really made great strides. I think each of us has some or more of these tendencies but we recognize when they are starting to kick in. A great resource for understanding credit and what goes into a credit score, as well as how to manage it is "Understanding Your Credit," which is downloadable free from Myfico.com. It is the straight talk from the outfit that produces the scores for the major credit bureaus. Enjoy your weekend. You deserve a break!

Well, I have a feeling I have a purchase in my future....and it is a need. My microwave didn't perform as expected this morning and when I just nuked some Progresso Light soup, it was lukewarm compared to the usual too hot. I've been reading reviews so I see a new microwave in my future tomorrow. The old one, while still working so so, will go to Good Will.

Crazy microwave. I just used it to heat cold coffee...and it came out the usual hot temperature. Have no idea what is going on. Yes, I reheat coffee; I don't waste it. I make a pot and drink on it all day. I tried those individual cup things including Keurig and this does just as well and is cheaper. The coffee, even reheated, tastes as good as the Keurig did.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Highlighted
Contributor

Good afternoon ladies...it's a foggy day here but at least it's not snowing. I am done with work for today but it looks like I'll be teaching at least 3 classes this weekend, quite a few of my teachers will be out. I bought some reading home to do.

Jean, good job on your credit report and on no purchases. My microwave has lasted over 23 years, it was a wedding gift.

Kathleen, have fun this weekend. Enjoy being with Stevie and your family. Kendall will be home again in 3 weeks for break. I started using My Fitness Pal today in conjuction with the Fitbit. You motivated me to do this so thanks. It seems to be like Weight Watchers without having to pay anything additional so we'll see how well I do with this. I have had a good week foodwise and am down a few pounds. I need to keep it up!!! I'm waiting for Sydney to be done with the treadmill and then it will be my turn.

I did put some more items on my wish list but haven't purchased anything yet for this month. I will probably make a purchase by the end of next week and that will be it for the month. I was able to put my paycheck in our savings acct. this week because I am doing so well with my lack of spending. Yay me!!! The plan for a new car is still May...

I'll be making stuffed shells for dinner tonight..no takeout. Hope everyone has a great weekend!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Nancy--Have ""fun"" doing all those preparations for the classes. Great job on putting the pay check into savings. Good job on lack of spending. The stuffed shells sound wonderful. The wish list can be useful. What I enjoy is when I go back months later and wonder why I thought the item was wonderful enough to put on the wish list.

I've been watching Hawaii Life on HGTV but it is now time for a Kindle break.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon! Thanks for getting us started Jean and providing those links/information. Need to get going now. I'll try to post later.

Hugs,

Linda

Contributor

Jean, Shane and I are HGTV addicts...we may need to start a thread on that. We dvr many of the shows and that is pretty much what we watch every evening. I'm putting off the reading for now...

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, Good job on your credit scores. My DH & I have always been diligent about keeping good credit scores too. We were brought in the age (mid 60's now) where our parents never had a charge card & neither did we until it was a necessity to rent motel rooms etc. We have never had a loan. My DH is a real stickler about whatever we bought it would be by check. That included our home when we built it 19 years ago and new any cars that we purchased. We just had to wait maybe sometimes longer than we would have liked to. If our home wouldn't have been paid for when I had to leave work so suddenly almost 13 years ago, my DH wouldn't have been able to retire at age 55. We thank God each & everyday for helping us get all of our ducks in the correct order. Sorry about your microwave Jean. Mine is 8 years old, so I hope it lasts me a long time yet. Good job with your no shopping for wants for 51 days. I broke my shopping spell on Wednesday when DH & I had a day out.

Rock Chick. I hope you have a great weekend. Doesn't it seem like whenever you want to leave work early that is the one day that you end staying late? My DH was the King of having that happen to him when he was still working. You are so lucky to be able to do your thing outside. Yesterday & last night we had 50 MPH winds. They are still gusting at 40 MPH and I had a bad night trying to sleep last night as all I could hear was the wind howling. It is so cold today that all dH & I did was get groceries. Chill factor is at least minus 20 & they say starting Sunday it will be minus 40-50 all of next week. Also, that book you mention was one of our favorites too.

Kensyd, We had fog last night too. Then the winds moved it out of here but it is bitter cold today. Good job at being able to save your paycheck for another time. Stuffed shells sound yummy too. What classes do you teach? Maybe I asked you that before.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Nancy--I love watching "Hawaii Life" for the scenery and a reminder of what I would like to gave if I won the lottery. I l like watching The Property Brothers shows for a different kind of scenery. It amazes me what can be done in remodeling and with the right style of furnitiure, etc. Again, the prices there are very much out of my league but it makes for good viewing.

Twinny--right now, the microwave is behaving itself. Perhaps I accidentally keyed in the wrong number twice. I rely so much on a microwave that I panic when one starts acting up. I hate to drive an hour and a half one way to buy a microwave at the last minute should it die. I remember paying for new cars with a check. Then I remodeled a house I inherited. Let's just say it is a money trap but I have great ties to the house. It is a great comfortable house now but it took my money....and now the HVAC will need replaced soon. I keep hoping that the time might be extended. You may have broken your "non-buying" streak but you can always start again.

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry I'm so late getting back here. It was a very busy day -- started with a travel club meeting. We saw a video about India which was quite amazing. I don't think I was likely to travel there in any case, but now I don't feel like it is necessary. Also, I realize that you really can't "see" all of India without spending quite a while there (many months.)

After the meeting, DH and I took a walk around that neighborhood, and it was interesting. We spent a little longer than I expected, so there wasn't much time when I returned. After lunch I had a "class", and then I went to the new eye doctor. That turned out to be a very long visit, but I liked her, and the young man helping me with new glasses. He is from Maryland, but a different part of the State.

Nothing exciting planned for tomorrow, and I hope to be able to post much earlier.

Hope everyone has a good evening and sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda