Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME(FRIDAY,OCT.26)

[ Edited ]

Good morning, shopping friends. It is a dreary day with off and on rain. It is good that we did our one day road trip yesterday as the weather was perfect.  We put in 443 miles and had a great time. The purpose of the trip was to see Fall foilage but it is not cooperating because of the weather.

We did stop at the New River Bridge visitor's site and overlooks. We just went to the first overlook as the second one is far down below the bridge and takes much time and rest to climb back to the visitor's center. Bridge Day was held last Saturday where about 100,000 people came to see around 350 people from over 30 states jump from the bridge

The bridge is the second longest single arch bridge in the world and longest one in the Western hemisphere.  Bridge Day is held the third Saturday in October. The bridge doesn't look that long or high in pictures but it is very impressive. The Center was filled with out of state cars when we were there so I guess it is time we paid a visit, the first since it was first constructed in late 70s.

New River Bridge Jean.jpg

I missed a delivery of my laptop by FedEx. The note on the door said they would attempt delivery again today but afterwards, I would have to go to the city to pick it up. The note said it did not permit it to be left without me personally signing for it.

I looked at the TSV but I don't need any more clothes right now, plus I am in doubt about what size to order. When in doubt, it is best not to risk it if the items are not really needed.

Have a great day. Prayers for all who are facing personal/family illlness or other challenges.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME(FRIDAY,OCT.26)

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Nice picture.  I have a bridge fear that I have been working on for years.  I'm getting better, but I am sure you won't see me jumping there.  Glad you had such a nice time and didn't have dreary weather like today. 

Sorry you missed your laptop  delivery.  I had that problem one time in Maryland, and I almost missed Fed Ex the second time since they rang the bell, and were busy writing a note when I opened the door within a minute or two.  I don't think they wanted to stick around, but that was crazy.  

I don't think I'll purchase the TSV either -- for the same reasons.  Hope that any who order them like them very much.

Not sure if I shared this yesterday (hope not), but I had a call from the church yesterday telling me that I will be walking with their float in the annual White Elephant parade tomorrow.  I had volunteered to do so, but thought that they didn't need me since I had not received a call earlier.  Anyway, we are having a meeting this afternoon, and I will be wearing a costume -- hope there is one that fits okay.  Our church always serves free rootbeer floats after the parade, and I will be passing out little invitations (I think.)  Should be fun.  Hopefully, not too hot.

The newcomers lunch yesterday was good, and the gym went pretty well.  I have started to try the rowing machine at the end of my regular workout.  Not doing too much of it, especially since I am not sure about proper form.

On the estate front, I am happy that two more pieces have been accomplished -- the deed to DH's house in Maryland has been transferred to his son, and some of the cash in the account has been transferred to him as well.  Still more to go, but these were pretty big steps.

I have my OLLI class on the Aztecs this morning, and then I will be going to the Post Office to mail off the Deed.  I will probably go to the grocery store for produce, etc., after the parade meeting at church this afternoon.  Busy day.

Big congratulations to Kathleen's younger daughter who was married yesterday.  It would have been my parents 80th anniversary if they were still living.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Have a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Honored Contributor

Jean @KonaKat  I'm glad that you enjoyed the fall foliage trip.  350 people jumped from the bridge, please tell me they were attached to bungee cords or something Woman Surprised

We're not getting the best color here either.  Leaves are falling off of my tree and the neighbors tree barely golden in color.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@LindaLatte  Hey Linda, you've piqued my curiosity about the parade.  I don't think I've ever head of a white elephant parade and I'm interested in the costume you will be wearing.  Sounds fun.

So glad to read that a couple of the larger portions of the estate are finalized.

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--I am happy that you are making significant progress on  getting the estate settled. Like Bernie, I have not heard of the parade but it sounds interesting.

Bernie--You are having the same issues with Fall leaf color that we are. For some info on the Bridge Day, check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRgJIc_e9fg

53 photos of last year's Bridge Day:

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/multimedia/photo_galleries/photos-bridge-day/collection_354d8d28-b6e1...

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

@KonaKat  I saw the edge and some folks running towards it when I felt like I might do this (while in my chair).  I had to get close youtube immediately.  I guess whatever thrills ya.

Image result for fainting lady gif

Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--I guess it is one of those thrill sports in which people hope the chute opens. I don't even like the idea of walking across the bridge. It is a long ways down.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Jean, I don't see any guard rails so I can't imagine driving across it when the weather is bad.  If there were railings on either side I could walk across it.  As it is, I would only walk across it if a loved one's life was in jeopardy on the other side.  

Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--There are guard rails but the size in comparison to the size of the bridge doesn't permit them to show well. The bridge is over a half mile long but before the bridge went in, the trip across that section took 40 minutes over crooked roads  and a small bridge. At 65 to 70 mph, you are across the bridge before you realize it. You can walk across the actual bridge but there is also a more DareDevil walk built underneath it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV-hMUGBYw0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YahBWjngkI

I think my boring posts keep posters away.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had seen some pictures in the past, and I decided not to look at these, Jean.  Probably would give me nightmares.  

Regarding the White Elephant Parade -- our local thrift shop is called the "White Elephant", and they put on this parade every year to celebrate all of their supporters.  The thrift shop is nothing short of amazing -- they took in more than $1.5 million last year, and most of that money is distributed to local charities and schools plus some scholarships.  The parade is lots of fun -- all the local middle and high school bands, many military units, churches, dance and music schools, organizations like the Lions Club, animal shelter, 4H, senior lunch program, etc. have floats.  

I just picked out/up my costume at the church.  It is a beautiful kimono (I think that is what it is called).  I will wear black pants and a shirt under it since I need to return the costume after the parade.  I checked, and they said it would be okay to wear sunglasses.  I saw a picture of the float, and it looks great.  They give out prizes to winners in various categories, including churches or religious institutions, and my church has won quite a few times.  The prize is a white elephant statute, usually made by the ceramics club.  

Sorry I wasn't clear before.  

Jean -- your posts are definitely not boring.