Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (FRIDAY, MAR 13)

Good Morning/Afternoon!  It is mostly sunny at the moment, but we may have more rain this afternoon.  When I walked outside this morning, it was sprinkling, and there was a lovely rainbow.  I took that as a good sign.

Yesterday was not that good for me with a couple of exceptions.  One was that it was DD's birthday.  I feel very blessed to have such a good daughter.  The other was a reassuring conversation I had with my financial adviser.  She is in Oklahoma, and it turns out that she is a hospice volunteer and is even on the board of a non-profit hospice.  Despite my "bottom line" having plummeted, I was not panicked, just wanted information about why my IRA account had lost a larger percentage of its value compared to my individual account.  I am glad they are keeping on top of things for me.

On the negative side, they canceled the rest of the OLLI classes for the "term", canceled our "strong bones" classes (center not available for our use), and canceled a day trip scheduled for April.  So far, the senior lunch program is still on and the gym is still open.  If they close the gym, I plan to order the elliptical machine Jean has from Amazon.  

There was zero toilet paper, etc. at Wal Mart or the 99 cent store, but I found some bleach and a thermometer at the 99 cent store.  

I'm sure everyone is seeing big changes in their lives, but I am also sure we will make it through this crisis.  

Today I am taking Jo Ann out for lunch since she will be moving away next month.  I'm looking forward to lunch and hope to find some of the things I need from the grocery store later this afternoon.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day and stays safe!

Hugs,

Linda

P.S.  Anyone ordering the TSV?  I love some of the prints, but have no need plus I understand the fabric can wrinkle a lot.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (FRIDAY, MAR 13)

Hi  Everyone!

Today is a mix of cloudy, cool to sunny and warm. I'm hoping that it picks one or the other. I decided to stay in today to avoid crowds. I'm dusting and Dysoning all the floors. I thought I would get the Lysol wipes and do a quick wipe of all the door knobs and banisters just to get it started around here.

I think Spring is on it's way because I'm sneezing. Our female dog has her allergies back in full force. (These are my signs---not the groundhog. LOL) She seems much better from her health issues so I'm breathing a sigh of relief. 

I was up at 5A today to help Thor up the steps. He was alerting to something outside. I'm assuming it was an animal that was not one of the "accepted" ones. Honestly, I was just too exhausted to chase around the house to see if I could see it. I hardly see the steps at 5AM. ha ha!!! Then the dogs and I were back up at 7A because the neighbors tree guys were back again. They stayed until 830A and left. Thor barked his head off until they stopped using our property as a shortcut to their trucks so we could watch some tiv while I inhaled coffee.  Peace has returned to our yard. YIPPEE!!!

I'm second guessing the plants that I ordered but have decided that I will let it be. Hopefully, I'll be able to grow some of these on the hillside so that will eliminate some maintainence for me. I only want to have to weed at top and bottom where it is less steep. We installed steps two years ago but the ground shifted so it looks like I could use a few more to make it easier.  That will not be a standby project for when we have some time.

Did anyone receive emails from BBB and At Home or other stores about their measures with the virus? It looks like the "official notice" i received from UPMC. I decided that I'm going to be cautious but not panic. One day at a time and just some extra precautions when I'm out and extra cleaning when I'm home. That's my mindset today.

Hope everyone has a good afternoon/evening..  

Esteemed Contributor

Linda L, It feels like it's pandemonium in our hometown too.  Yesterday they canceled the big St. Paddy's parade for next Tuesday.  My DH and I went to the 3 grocery stores earlier this morning and people had carts full of PT, paper towels & wipes etc. in their carts.  Then we went to Walgreen's for a prescription and the manager said that the truck came in yesterday and people were literally grabbing stuff off of the shelves as quick as he was putting it out.  Thank goodness I wasn't buying any of those things.press

I have been reading all week, but haven't had to to post.  We are still going to the gym each day since its not closed down yet.  It was basketball mania around here because a small town 15 miles away was going to State and we were going to watch them on TV.  It's been cancelled as has the boys tournament next week.  Then the big sports are cancelled.

Andrew and Emily in HS & Chris in college are  starting spring break tomorrow for at least 2 weeks.  Possibly longer.  

We have decided not to eat dinner out tomorrow night and I just heard on the radio that the Firemen's Dance tomorrow night that we were going to has been cancelled. We have decided to invite friends in for dinner & cards.

I am trying not to panic, but with my AI disorder and a compromised DH it's safer to just stay home.

I did buy a nice bunch of flowers this morning with a green sparkly shamrock hat and a balloon to go with it.

Never did I ever think that we would be going through this on our 50h wedding anniversary.  We still have a lot to be thankful for.  

The weather has been great.  

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

@Fressa wrote:

Hi  Everyone!

Today is a mix of cloudy, cool to sunny and warm. I'm hoping that it picks one or the other. I decided to stay in today to avoid crowds. I'm dusting and Dysoning all the floors. I thought I would get the Lysol wipes and do a quick wipe of all the door knobs and banisters just to get it started around here.

I think Spring is on it's way because I'm sneezing. Our female dog has her allergies back in full force. (These are my signs---not the groundhog. LOL) She seems much better from her health issues so I'm breathing a sigh of relief. 

I was up at 5A today to help Thor up the steps. He was alerting to something outside. I'm assuming it was an animal that was not one of the "accepted" ones. Honestly, I was just too exhausted to chase around the house to see if I could see it. I hardly see the steps at 5AM. ha ha!!! Then the dogs and I were back up at 7A because the neighbors tree guys were back again. They stayed until 830A and left. Thor barked his head off until they stopped using our property as a shortcut to their trucks so we could watch some tiv while I inhaled coffee.  Peace has returned to our yard. YIPPEE!!!

I'm second guessing the plants that I ordered but have decided that I will let it be. Hopefully, I'll be able to grow some of these on the hillside so that will eliminate some maintainence for me. I only want to have to weed at top and bottom where it is less steep. We installed steps two years ago but the ground shifted so it looks like I could use a few more to make it easier.  That will not be a standby project for when we have some time.

Did anyone receive emails from BBB and At Home or other stores about their measures with the virus? It looks like the "official notice" i received from UPMC. I decided that I'm going to be cautious but not panic. One day at a time and just some extra precautions when I'm out and extra cleaning when I'm home. That's my mindset today.

Hope everyone has a good afternoon/evening..  

Fressa, we were posting at the same time.  I am trying to avoid crowds too.  We have gone to the gym each day,  but we were the only two there yesterday & on Tuesday there were only 4 of us there.  This morning It was a little bit busier.  I got the email from BB&B early this morning.  I am going to do some heavy duty cleaning in the house this afternoon.  It sounds like you have a lot of projects going on.  I will be doing the normal spring cleaning in a few weeks when it's warm enough to open the windows.

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--Thank you for starting the thread. It iThe president's voice sounded more raspy than usual.s good that you have trusted financial advisers looking out for your financial welfare when it comes to investments. Along with your DD's birthday, that was truly a comforting day.  I have no idea what the TSV is as I didn't see it presented, nor did I look at it on the home page.I am glad that you were able to take JoAnn out for lunch. 

Fressa--Nearly every business I have had dealt with have been sending those "what you know about the virus" emails. I guess everyone has to get in on the action. I'm sure the plants will work oiut; it is always a risk when ordering plants. I do hope the allergies go away soon. Avoiding crowds as much as possible is a good idea.

Twinny--I think with your medical history as well as that of DH, it is wise to avoid crowds as much as possible. Inviting close friends in for get togethers might be a good option provided they are also taking similar preventative steps. It is hard not to panic when a senior citizen with a compromised health history.

I am home from work, the last day for some unknown time. The governor cancelled all schools, their activities as well as other large gatherings for an indefinite time. Students were sent home with three weeks of work to do at home. This will be a financial hit for me but such is life. I have a compromised health also so I am avoiding large crowds such as malls, etc. I am well stocked with food, meds, supplies, etc. and I have the TV and Internet for entertainment. It might be a good time to do some things around the house that I've been neglecting. In the meantime, I'm taking a wait and see attitude about my April trip.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Hello there shopping friends Heart  We went from 1 presumptive case (we know it's corona, just have to let CDC give a second opinion) on Wednesday to 16 presumptive cases as of right this minute. 

After hearing about food shortages, I returned to Meijers today.  This has to be one of the most interesting shopping experiences that I've had in my lifetime.  I'm not kidding.  This is what was going on at my Meijers:

• Toilet paper - none 
  • Paper towel - getting low
  • Any brands of sanitizer, wipes or disinfecting sprays - none
  • Nitrile or latex gloves - none
  • Liquid bleach (any brand) - none
  • Alcohol or alcohol swabs - none
  • Soup - nearly out
  • Instant potatoes, rice dishes, macaroni and cheese, pastas/noodles - none
  • Entire side of one bread aisle - empty
  • Deli area that has breads - nearly empty
  • Eggs - getting scarce
  • Milk - barely holding
  • Meats - butchers can't cut it fast enough
  • Canned veggies (beans, corn, carrots) fruits (cling peaches, cling pears etc) -  selling out

I picked up some things for my sister who couldn't come up with a list but texting me with 'what about this'  'what about that' Woman Indifferent   Woman Tongue  Long lines in the store.  

Upon my return home, I saw my new Franco Sarto shoes on the front porch (in a box of course).  I smiled and thought, there ya go Bernie - the world could be going to hel* in a handbasket but a new pair of shoes always makes it better.

Except when they are too big and need to be returned Woman Mad  Their website recommended a 9 and I'm telling you I think an 8 1/2 or possibly an 8 would be better.  I repackaged the shoes and they've been dropped off at the local Fedex for return.

I paid for them using paypal connected to my checking account so now I need to read up how the money gets back into my checking account.  Woman Embarassed

It's windy and cool here but at least the sun is shining.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Jean,  the friends that might be coming tomorrow is the guy with Parkinson's Disease so their home is now spotless since she has been cleaning the house from top to bottom for a couple of weeks.  I washed in hot soapy water all countertops and knobs in the house & then used Clorox wipes to do a thorough job. Now I am going to steam mop the floors.  

Bird Mama, It's too bad that the shoes don't fit right.  It's sunny today, but will be a little cooler tomorrow.

Our ds and ddil had a beautiful vase of flowers delivered to the house just now.  They are large Sunflowers with short stems & other green things.  Very pretty though.

Thank goodness we  celebrated with our dd and family and our best friends.

You would have thought that we got married on Friday the 13th.  Last year on our 49th wedding anniversary my DH got sick before we could eat our meal at Applebee's.  We took a rain check on that one.  We are still planning a road trip in April. Lord willing.  

Dinner is leftovers from last night's ham and scalloped potatoes.  Since its pi Day (3.14) tomorrow, I bought a cherry pie from the grocery store.